Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

BIG CRASH !

cadcamjim

Yesterday our Haas vf-2 decided to snap a pull stud on a 1-1/4 dia bullnose while cutting in the middle of an aluminum job eek.gifcurse.gif

I don't care about the damage to the job but the spindle taper is now toast as well as my shorts.

The holder left some nice score/weld marks on the taper. Gonna have to call service today and see what can be done. Anybody ever experience this before ?

Can the taper be reground or are we looking at a new spindle shaft ?

curse.gifcurse.gifcurse.gif

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

The holder left some nice score/weld marks on the taper. Gonna have to call service today and see what can be done. Anybody ever experience this before ?

Can the taper be reground or are we looking at a new spindle shaft ?

First of all; OUCH! That must've been LOUD eek.gif I can certainly understand the damage to your undergarments! Are you sure which came first, the chicken or the egg? What I mean is: did the cutter blow up and load the machine so hard that it sheared the dogs off the spindle and break the pull stud, or did the pull stud go first? The heavier drawbar pull on newer machines always makes me leery of the coolant-thru style pullstuds; was it one of those? Either way, that sucks.

As far as the spindle goes you will possibly have a couple of options. Haas will probably tell you that you need a new spindle cartridge because I doubt very much that they want any part of reworking yours. We just put a spindle in one of our Okuma VMCs because the lower bearing let go and the spindle was about $3500 [after a return credit for my dead one] and it took about 1 day to install. If you cannot afford to have the machine down this is probably your only option as I'm sure Haas will have them in stock and get you back up in a couple of days. If the machine can sit for awhile or you want to explore aftermarket rebuilt parts there are spindle rebuilders out there [Northland Tool is one 1 (800) SPINDLE] that you could try

Good Luck

C

We have had a couple of things like that happen over the years. We have had the spindles reground in the machine a couple of times. If you would like, i can look up the name and phone # of the company that did it. Email me if this would be of interest.

Thanks guys. It was a regular stud. No coolant thru it .I am still not sure what came came about first. I think the insert blew up after the stud broke. THe cut was not a heavy one, only .060 .But it was on a near verticle wall and when the stud broke, the x,y axis were still moving thus rubbing it out and causing more damage before the load meter kicked in. By then the damage was done and shorts were ruined.

At least they are cheap to replace smile.gif

I'll be calling service at 9am and looking for a replacement, need to get up and running asap. 1 week left before holidays frown.gif

i came in on monday once and found my 3/4 carbide mill crashed into the table ...the stud broke sitting still over the weekend it was a haas pullstud that came with the tooling that came with the machine i called haas and they told me to never leave tool in the machine when its not running ???any way we think it was a hardness issue and we pulled out all pull studs and replaced them with command ones i cant imagine it happening in the cut OUCH i would also have the draw bar tention checked make sure its not over pulling

I had a retention knob break in our horizontal with a 5inch face mill in the spindle. The machine had just changed tools and the spindle started up just as it reached full RPM *SNAP* that face mill bounced around the inside of the machine like it was in a pinball game. And yes the door was open. I think my heart stopped for a minute. Now we send out all our retention knobs out for x-ray.

That's the quickest way to cure constipation biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif . I've seen guys try to make their own pull studs and this is why you should never do that. Another reason for not leaving a tool in the spindle, is that it puts wear on the springs that retain the tool. The retention system will last longer if you dont leave the tool in the spindle.

There are some guys who can put a spindle grinding attachment on the table, and re-grind the taper right on the machine. In some cases it ends up running a lot truer than the alignment problems associated with installing a spindle.

Mike Mattera

Well , we have had the same problems with our Haas verticals , and have found that it is due to the drawbar bar getting loose. the springs on the bar start breaking up then it loses it holding ability. You can pull the drawbar out the top of the spindle and look at it because the broken ones show up pretty good.

Oh, and when the taper gets hit we usually get it reground in the machine a few times befroe replacing it . (spindle housing) We have had to replace a few all together though.

One more thing ...

Do you have a service manual for your Haas?

I have it in .pdf format if you would like it

It shows how to set the drawnbar tension and even how to replace the spindle if you want to do it yourself.

Just drop a note so I can send it to you.

Thanks for all the input guys. Glad to see we keep underwear manufactures in business. Service is faxing me a quote to swap out the spindle with another one. 5-6 hrs they est. to complete the work. Can't wait to see the boss's eyes light up when that one comes thru.

LOL!

PS . It was a Haas pull stud and we had the service dept here last november for a pm.

Last year I had the similar experience while cutting Aluminium. The cutter collided with clamp at 25m/min speed. eek.gif

The tragedy was not big damage happened to cutter but the pullstud broke away and it kept revovling inside the taper cone. curse.gif

The machine was down for 3 days. But we survived on just regrinding.

I am running a Haas VF4 (2003) (we have seven). I left the machine running over night. (finishing some surfaces on a cavity). I got here the next morning........ The pull stud (Haas) broke! banghead.gif Right at the top of the threads. bonk.gif It cost the Company $10,000. curse.gif The whole spindle assembly comes apart and installed in about a day.

I'm always sticking my head in the machine with the R.P.M.s pegged making sure things match etc.

That is'nt the first pull stud that broke in the shop, we have had some break on tool changes and just sitting in the spindle! mad.gif

Last year I had a similar experience on our

6 spindle 5x gantry mill. I specified a 2in by

4in long 3 flute ruffing endmill. THe operator

used an 8 flute finisher. It started chattering

and pulled the toolholder right out of the spindle. It didn't break the pull stud, but when it happened the guy just froze. Way too late

someone reached over his shoulder and hit the E-stop . It ruined the spindle and knocked the whole machine out of alignment.