Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

threadmilling

Joels

Joel,

Here is a link for some single profile solid carbide thread mills SCT . The LOC is only .650, but overall length is 2 1/2". If you have the capability to work with carbide you could just grind down the shank dia. some more or just have them do it for you. Single profile is pretty cheap too. This one should be under $50.00.

quote:

the boss wants to make improvements

Unless you are making a long barrel nut, one improvement might be to reduce the length of that thread. If that much length is needed tapping is probably better than milling.

Much of the reason for milling is to precisely control thread depth. For example, to get exactly 4 1/2 turns of perfect thread so the 4 turn screw will never bottom out and then not waste time drilling a hole deep enough to provide chip clearance plus lead clearance plus tap tip clearance plus an extra turn or two.

Mark, thanks for the props!!! cheers.gif

Joel, I have to agree, thread milling a 1/4-20 1" deep is a stretch. To threadmill a 1/4-20 the "off the shelf" tool would have a dia. of .187 with a standard LOC of .500

Thanks for the catalog request, I will get that in the mail right way.

I gotta agree with Peter E on this one (oops! read in another post not ever ever do that)

Oh Well! I will take my chances.

Rollforming is definitely the way to go for that particular application. I like thread milling alot. But that little guy (1/4-20) would take alot of cycle time to complete properly. You would probably have to go in and do spring passes to get a nice sized thread. Plus! The cost to time ratio..... It would be HUGE!

Keep on Rollin!

cheers.gif