Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

stl not watertight

PROG_MAN_DO

This is awful..there must be a patch by now..I am machining a forging and I created a solid representing this forging. I then converted it to an stl file so I could use it for verification and what do I get.. confused.gif

LW has found the STL file not to be closed and watertight. An approximation will be used.

How can it not be watertight? it's a solid!! I did a parasolid conversion to test the model and it's fine. I even tried making a surface model from the solid, and then creating an STL, to no avail. I have had my STL tolerance set to .0001 even. Is there a solution out there other than buying verification software? banghead.gifbanghead.gifbanghead.gif

Russel, this is a problem that plauges a lot of people. One solution is use SolidWorks to write the STL file.

You can export your Mastercam solid as a parasolid, import to Solidworks and export an STL file.

Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't, it

just depends on how complex you forging is.

In version 9.0, being able to transform your stl files to diffrent locations to use them in verify seemed to me to work very well. Only when we went to 9.1 did these issues of stl files not being watertight after tranforming them became an issue. I too have the need to do this also. Maybe in X they will get this straightened out.

• 1 month later...

I guess I would be your whipping boy on this one.

This problem has been around for a while and we’ve been trying to come up with an adequate solution for it since then. Your concerns have not fallen upon deaf ears. It is a nasty problem without a quick fix. Unfortunately the problem lies with our vendor, so it has been pretty much out of our hands. They have been aware of the problem and actively working on a solution. And now it seems like the solution is inching towards availability. They currently have it in their “pre-Beta” stage. To help, we’ve taken all of the problematic STL files that our customers have sent us over the last couple of years and have provided them to the vendor. Initial results are encouraging.

At this point, it seems like the general consensus is, “Yeah, it’s a problem. Yeah, CNC knows about it. Learn to live with it.” I’d like that to change and am asking any/all users out there that come across these files to send them to: [email protected]. They will all be forwarded to the vendor for testing. The more files we have for testing, the better the solution is bound to be.

Thanks for your patience.

It was brought to my attention the other day that you can verify using IGES files instead of STL. I tried it and it worked. Just change file types to all when selecting the file and grab an IGES file of the part. It might not leak as much or maybe not at all