Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Alright, let's take the gloves off

fastercam

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...One of the things I've noticed is that when I start Mastercam and "Control", "Alt", "Delete" into the Task Manager, it shows Mastercam using 98 or 99 percent "CPU". Why is that?...

This issue has been covered ad nauseum...

When using the forum is a good idea to do a SEARCH if you're looking for something in particular before asking. It takes 20 seconds and will save you some ridicule. rtfaq.gif

fastercam and anyone else frustrated with Mcam,

The bottom line when considering any kind of investment, whether Mastercam or machining center, is ROI (and if you don't what that means you probably don't need to). I paid for Mill 3 and Design out of my own pocket and it has been paying for itself and more ever since I purchased it. The fact is, is that for other CAM packages at comparable prices Mastercam provides more bang for the buck.

Consider: What is worse, having your computer crash on Mcam while in the middle of a 5 axis verify or, never being able take on high income, continuous 5 axis work because your existing CAM package is limited to indexing only type machining?

Yes Mcam crashes, verify needs work, blah, blah, blah...but it's making me money because it provides me with capabilities I wouldn't have using Bibbslam, etc.

JM2C,

steve

You guys/gals are like the 'coolest' people that I know.

This thread seems to have changed for the better (thank god).

I know how easy it is to get frustrated sometimes,and you just start to rant and rave.

It happens to me all the time, (not because of mastercam crashing)but other things in life that irritate the living crap outta me. wink.gif

I hope that my fellow friends here don't take fastercam's comments to heart.

We are much more professional here. cheers.gif

Jack,that was pretty funny though! biggrin.gif

What would we do without you??

BTW,I have been in training on Catia based 'Fastrim' programming for laser and you wouldn't believe how many times it crashed today! rolleyes.gif

That's right Catia,the program that Toyoda and boeing uses to create airplanes and cars from.

One would think that this program would be flawless!!!! banghead.gif

I find I usually get more done if I take a considered approach: be un-emotional and talk facts.

In almost all cases, when I go "over the top" I later regret it.

Never offer a compliant without proposing a solution.

That said, we are idiots if we don't let the rebels in the group rant once in a while.

Some of the most technically proficient people are not very articulate at all. The only way they can get the words out is to just scream them. But they are often spot-on.

That is where the pain is, and where the pain is is where we should be looking to improve.

So, Rebels, continue to rebel. Just choose your battles wisely. wink.gif

One of the things I've always appreciated about CNC Software is they let you vent without taking it personally. It's like they realize that if they let us bitch, we'll show them how to make better software.

It is frustrating when you are so determined about something, but it appears nothing gets done. I think Ken Erman said it once (to paraphrase), "Just because you are very vocal about something doesn't mean you win the arguement".

CNC is under the same constraints as any other technology company: time, money, people, resources, creativity. Usually when I hear the "real story" behind decisions, I understand them and often concur. These people do think about things carefully (from the top down) and are sincere about delivering the best damned CAM system in the world.

Given that I've maybe once in 10+ years simply NOT been able to do what I wanted (out of thousands of parts) I'd say they are successful.

Peace out.

I've only just seen this message, sorry I'm late biggrin.gif

quote:

James

I did search the forum before asking the question but used keywords that didn't yield any useful information.

Fastercam, I went to the Search page and typed in "CPU Usage". It found 20 results, I'm sure many of those would have answered your question.

I don't think I can add much that is useful to this thread. Oh, hold on wink.gif ... I work in Tech Support for Mcam in the UK, and I can honestly say that in the past year, we've never had the phone lines as quiet as this in the 6+ years I've been here. Back in the days of V6 we could easy have five to ten calls a day, every day, but that just doesn't happen any more. We are still consistently in the top ten internantional resellers lists, so it's not as if we've lost all of our customers!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...I work in Tech Support for Mcam in the UK, and I can honestly say that in the past year, we've never had the phone lines as quiet as this in the 6+ years I've been here...

SMACK biggrin.gif