Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Alright, let's take the gloves off

fastercam

quote:

Furthermore, believe it or not, I really do appreciate the generosity of the members of this forum. That said, there have been a number of comments made about how if it's crashing, it must be something I'm doing. Sorry,I don't buy that .

I don't buy that

This could be part of your problem.

No one is 100% right, 100% of the time and to think that you are shooting yourslf in the foot right from the start.

I agree that it has bugs but most of the crashes that i have had have been my fault, and at any time i have needed help i come here.

quote:

The program has been broken for years and no one at CNC Software is serious about fixing it

I must be looking at a different Forum to what you are. headscratch.gif

cheers.gif Darren

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I for one have been making a living with MC since V3. I have experienced less instability with MC than with Windows. Only on a couple occasions has it been useless and on those instances, re-installation cured the issue.

Blanket rants are useless and helps nobody. You mentioned not wanting to list any issues, that's pretty lame at best. Your attitude in your first post tells me that you are not looking for resolution to anything but merely to lash out for one reason or another. So when you get attacked don't be surprised. But if you want Mastercam help, there is no better place anywhere.

JM2C

Fastercam,

It is good to see you cool off and come back. People here are more than willing to help with any issues you may encouter with this software. You were venting, we all understand that. But we all make our living with this software and with this forum and have some fun doing it. If you have issues, believe me someone here can help. Like I said I have been doing this since 1995, and I learn here every day. The people here go out of their way to help. Maybe a different cam system might make you happy. But believe me, our sister company runs UG and they come to me for things they can't handle. It all boils down to experience. And I did a poll here not long ago, with 1564 years experience. Awesome in my opinion.

Mrs. Cam steps out from the platform pushing the little newborn along in the Pratzi pram, proud as a peacock; while Storkman could be seen vomiting along a Bay street gutter. All was normal today as it seems to be all days anymore.

The children playing stick ball were timing it out for a little bread and sugar while momma is screaming from the 3rd floor kitchen window to get on up here before I send your father down.

Fastercam leans into the pram without permission and boldly states “Wow- that is one ugly baby.” A fire hydrant blows; a car crash at the corner; a three alarm fire just launches while bells ring incessantly; children laughing, a bus blows off a huge cloud of diesel smoke, babies are crying – all in all a completely normal day, that is until Mrs. Cam grabs fastercam by the throat and says – WTF did you say?

cheers.gif

Darn, I just missed him - he was on when I started typing but just got out when I posted. smile.gif

Regards, Jack

quote:

Mrs. Cam steps out from the platform pushing the little newborn along in the Pratzi pram, proud as a peacock; while Storkman could be seen vomiting along a Bay street gutter. All was normal today as it seems to be all days anymore.

Hello....................

the rest of us are on planet EARTH, Jack.

Just so you know....

A few more toddys than me I presume....

Yeah, they all have their plusses and minuses. Hell, some won't even let you "Undo" more than one time. Others take that last "C" right out of CNC. Now that's the kinda thing that gets me steamed.

I've worked with Gibbs Cam, Work NC, SmartCam, Mastercam and recently, Esprit.... they all have their ups and downs but of all of them, Mastercam is the most capable package bar none. The company I'm working for now has Esprit and I absolutely hate working with this program but I'm making the best of it. Once you've walked a mile with some of the other packages you may come to the same conclusion I have.

These guys are onto something with the hardware issues. That, and there's no telling what else is going on with your computer. Everytime I look at a friend's computer that's been "Giving them fits" it seems I find spyware and all kinds of other crap effecting system performance. So who knows what you've got going on... tough to say.

G'luck.

-Chuck

quote:

I've worked with Gibbs Cam, Work NC, SmartCam, Mastercam and recently, Esprit.... they all have their ups and downs but of all of them, Mastercam is the most capable package bar none

Nuff said

You can add to this list I am also proficient with surfcam and have tried powermill,teksoft, camtool and was getting good with VX. Oh and cimitronE (which is pretty pwerful)

Oh and you can swing by anyone of thier forums and tell them how great thier software is and how stable it is, and let me know when that happens.

to cadcad

let me tell you a story about ernie. I went to work with ernie in 87. he was foreman at a place in torrance. he had me put a 5-axis rotary on a fadal and clamp a ring of aluminum. he spent the day designing and programming an impeller. about a half hour before i went home we started the machine. when i came in the next day it was done.

I'm 99% certain it is the impeller on the mastercam intro screen.

very impressive.

Billy

quote:

I suppose I should have expected that

Yeah ... I guess so given the title of the thread bonk.gifcuckoo.gif

Jack steps up to the plate, here's the pitch .... it's outta here... Very nice Jack.

I was thinking along the lines of fastercammer walking into one of them outlaw biker bars and yelling "Harley Sucks", but the ugly baby analogy was much better.

If fastercam is anything like me,he prolly got a crash,got very aggitated (like I do)and went directly to the keyboard and started typing out his frustrations on the forum.

I do this all the time to our IT guy! eek.gif (Mostly cause of his crappy operating system,not mastercam)

I rarely have crashes,but I save,save ,save...

As far as changing Cad systems..... NOT!

I'm sticking with mastercam cause I love it.

What computer programs don't crash?????

Not sure of your 'title' for your thread though,kinda like asking for a beating..... rolleyes.gif

quote:

the current one I'm using has no less than 1 gig of memory, so that's not the issue

Fastercam,there is more to having a stable pc for Mastercam than just ample amounts of RAM.

The one I'm on just recently got upgraded to 768K of ram.

Before that I had only 256k and it worked pretty decent,until I had to make a part with a couple hundred surfaces or so,then it was a little choppy trying to rotate the part,but still hardly any crashes.

The compatibility between video cards,Operating systems and Mastercam is very important,i'm not exactly sure what is good or what is bad,but alot of people here can tell you if your's is the problem if you only just asked.

What about Ram allocations? How is your's set.

Like I said,there are alot more things than just having alot of Ram.

biggrin.gif

I can't believe there are so many people that crash daily using Mastercam. I have been using it since V3, and can't remember a time when I thought it crashed more than any other program I use.

As far as V9 goes, I have no less than 2 Mastercams open at any given time, most of the time its 3 or 4. After may years of using a computer for a living, I do tend to save before doing anything I think may crash me, like slicing through a bunch of surfaces with mold plus, etc. You get a feel for things that may cause problems, but I never find myself blaming the software.

Edit

P.S. Saw Billys post about Ernie, and just wanted to say that I have never seen anyone better on Mastercam, and have strived to be as good to this day.

[ 11-12-2004, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: RandyN ]

Actually I have had a Crash issue also... It's like Cammando said:

quote:

I was thinking along the lines of fastercammer walking into one of them outlaw biker bars and yelling "Harley Sucks",

Nothing I can't work through. Actually I am have even more issues with SW2005. mad.gif Editing a part in an Assembly etc. My computer is pegged, and still does what I need! rtfaq.gif MasterCam is where it's at! Plain and simple. cheers.gif

quote from Brendan:

"If fastercam is anything like me,he prolly got a crash,got very aggitated (like I do)and went directly to the keyboard and started typing out his frustrations on the forum."

To my never ending regret, this is exactly what happened. Look, I realize that the software is not the only reason for crashes.

One of the things I've noticed is that when I start Mastercam and "Control", "Alt", "Delete" into the Task Manager, it shows Mastercam using 98 or 99 percent "CPU". Why is that? Is there a way to control it?

I won't be able to check this forum very much today so my apologies ahead of time if it takes me a while to respond to any questions/comments.

thanks