Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Alright, let's take the gloves off

fastercam

quote:

lets see, hope i get some more 80 hr run time 30 hr programming time mold haves to make, they are soooooooo easy.

+1000 Mayday

All that 3D stuff I do is kids play.

And yes gentlemen it does bomb on us too, granted

no where near as much as your crying about.

Perhaps a name change is in order

headscratch.gifheadscratch.gif

How about:

ICANTFIGUREMASTERCAMOUTSOITMUSTBEBROKE-CAM

Good day gentlemen

PEACE biggrin.gif

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The reason I get so defensive is Mastercam is my lively-hood. It's like the Boss cruzing out to the shop just to yell at me 'cause he feels in the mood! Stick to a specific problem. All those years of programming you should be able to write code faster than mastercam! If you want to talk Sh** about Mastercam go to a Gibbs Forum! bonk.gif

If you have a lot of stability problems with Mastercam, it has to do with your computer. I get fewer "crashes" in Mastercam than I do in Microsoft Word-no exaggeration.

The first thing to check is your video card (compatibility, update drivers).

I did have one computer with XPRro that I had lots of problems with. It had a lot of "overhead" (many users, etc). I took it from 512MB to 1GB ($230) and it runs perfecto now.

If you are running XPPro, I'd up the RAM to 1GB (it's CHEAP!).

Is there an overall stability issue with Mastercam? No.

I personally have a lot of crashes in Mastercam, but it is one of the most used pieces of software on this computer. At least a couple crashes a day. Usually seems to be after I import an .SAT or IGES file. Sometimes it crashes going into or out of verify. Sometimes it crashes after re-ordering some of my operations, copying and pasting. But my autosave is set to 5 minutes so it doesn't affect me much, I just reload and keep plugging away. It's not just Mastercam that crashes. I use Cadkey, Firefox, Internet Explorer. They all crash occasionally. They've crashed on my old computer (PIII 1Ghz) and my new computer (P4 3.0Ghz HP Laptop). As far as I"m concerned, it just seems to be a fact of life. I've asked questions about how to stop some of the crashing, I've tried most of the results but it doesn't fix it. I've changed video card drivers, I've changed settings. The parts I program most of the time are nothing fancy, simple 2D blocks with holes and 2D contours, the occasional 3D part. I've ran anti-virus software, and adaware to check for the uninvited causes, but they turn up nothing. I'm not ranting, just pointing out that computers crash. Not just Mastercam.

I will probably get flamed for this, but here goes. This may just be in my case, but for the price you pay, I have pretty high expectations for Mcam. Most of the time it meets them, but there are a few cases where it falls short. Those being, transform toolpath mirror, edit common parameters, and a lot of work needs to be done in the verify department along the lines of in process stock. These 3 things were all used HEAVILY in the sales pitch that I recieved that got me to buy mastercam. Shame on me for not doing more homework maybe, but I trusted the guy, and the size of the user base. I understand that all software has bugs, and I am not claiming that there is any better cam software out there right now, but I really do expect a little more from such a large and well funded company. I am not trying to put down mastercam, as I am generally very happy with it, but at some point you have to ask why wont it do what I was told it would do?

Ahh I feel better now, sorry for the rant, and I'll start putting on the fire-retardant gel now

Guys and Girls,

My 2 cents.

Yes Mastercam is not perfect who or what is?

To say let's get 9 right before V10 is not a stupid statment.

But to say..

quote:

The list is long and past experience has shown it's a waste of time trying to get them resolved anyway.

That is a straight out dig at the poeple who use this Forum.The resources and knowledge and willingness to help others here on this Forum is nothing short of amazing.

I have problems with MC we all do thats probally why this Forum is so usefull.

Who hasn't cursed there PC and Mastercam, came to the forum found an answer and then smiled saying doew. smile.gif

Most times I have a problem the problem exsist between keyboard and chair or I just needed to learn something I didn't know.

Or someone here Like Iskander has an answer. Even takes the time and effort to make his tips and tricks for all to use.

All in all there's not much Mastercam can't do Mill, Design, Turn, 2D, 3d, 4-axis, 5-axis.

Cheers cheers.gifcheers.gif

quote:

I will probably get flamed for this, but here goes.

GET HIM!!! flame.gifflame.gif J/K biggrin.gif

All three of these subjects have been documented here

on the forum rather exaustively, and noone disputes

that they need work.

If your that unhappy nothing we say can sway you.

I just find it tough to take when somebody trashes

anything in life without trying to fix the problem.

We can't stop the tears but we can help you w/

your programming issues.

And for your dog :kick: tongue.giftongue.gif

PEACE biggrin.gif

quote:

It is more likely a PC issue than a software issue

I've been using Mcam for almost 4 years know and all the issues that I've had were ALL PC issues. Video card,ram,etc... And the good people on this forum have helped me when I've asked. So what's your deal fastercam? Ripping Mcam here has only isolated you from the help you need. Unless someone knows of a job opening at the post office in your area. wink.gif

By the way, Welcome to the Forum. flame.gif

Well I normaly have 4 mastercams running at any givin time. Along with hypersnap, and a plethora of other programs. I believe I rebooted my computer about a month ago, to change video drivers. So stability is there. Is it perfect, I cant name one program that is. Stuff happens and always will, it is how you use deductive reasoning to find the problem. Do you really think mcam would be this succesful if it was as bad as you claim? Just maybe, gasp. It is your hardware side and or software side. Maybe you surf the internet to much. Have a virus on your box? to much adaware maybe? How about a bad sector on your drive that mastercam uses? When was the last time you ran norton or did a scan disk for trouble spots? Defrag your drive in the last 2 years? biggrin.gif Point being there are other factors that mastercam does not control that you might be blaming them for. Was your box a budget 299.00 emachine? mastercam does not need a great pc, just a well built one. My laptop with a p700 can still churn out the hardest 3d program. But just funner and faster with a 3.0 pent.

Jim

I have nothing but great things to say for all of you here at this forum. I was just using those as examples where people, or maybe just me, can be let down when the sales pitch touts well known weakness as absolute strengths. Thats just not right, and is not directly cnc software's problem, i understand that. Mastercam is #1 in installed seats, well multiply that by the average seat price, and you will see close to a 10 digit number. So from my point of view it would seem that they would have the resources to do anything they wanted to. I really don't hate mastercam, and I do like this forum a lot, I am just suspicious of large companies in general.

Sorry for the delay in following up on my rant. Now that I've cooled off a bit, let me just first acknowledge that it's been a love/hate relationship I've had with Mastercam. The software is quite capable and I'm always able to find a way of doing what I need to get the job done, often in a number of differant ways. Furthermore, believe it or not, I really do appreciate the generosity of the members of this forum. That said, there have been a number of comments made about how if it's crashing, it must be something I'm doing. Sorry, I don't buy that. I also don't appreciate the personal attacks on me and yes, considering this is a Mastercam forum, I suppose I should have expected that.

The problems I've been having with Mastercam has occured at 2 differant companies that I've been employed at and working on nearly a half dozen differant pc configurations, the current one I'm using has no less than 1 gig of memory, so that's not the issue. The frustrating thing for me has been that it seems very random, but there are a number of functions that seem to cause a disproportionate amount of trouble. For instance, on 2 differant pc systems and in differant Mastercam files, I've noticed that when I import geometry using the "Patterns" method, it just dies. One of the things I've been told to try is to use "Ramsaver". I have and it doesn't seem to have much effect. This is just one example. There are many more but I frankly don't have the time or desire to list them here.

Lastly, my comment about steering a potential Mastercam customer towards another CAM system was probably out of line as well. I would merely explain it to them this way: I've found the software to be capable of handling most any programming requirement you have and I'd recommend they log into the eMastercam forum for additional info.

Fair enough?

I've had a number of issues with Mastercam, as I've had with Pro-E, Unigraphics, WorkNC and Smartcam. Yet I don't find MC to be any more stable or unstable than all the others-- though hardware can be a big issue. What I do like is MC's ease of use. I trained myself to use it and I've found it to be the most intuitive CaD/CAM I've worked with.

Maybe fastercam should take Smartcam banghead.gif for a spin to really appreciate Mastercam.

When I first commented on mastercams shortcomings...and yes...I agree they are many, I was flamed early on in this forum. I do experience random crashes....and I firmly believe there is a bug in a graphics engine. I can import a parasolids file & walk away for an hour or so...no one touches the puter...and it seems to get caught in some sort of memory loop. This happens on 98, 2000 & XP.

The being said, I also believe that some of the people on this forum are more sensitive about negative things being said about mastercam than a macintosh user is about their hardware.

Look, the ony way CNC is going to improve/do bug fixes is for people to complain.

quote:

Is it just me, or is Mastercam the most unstable program sitting on your hard drive?

quote:

Here's the bottom line, if someone was interested in purchasing programming software and asked me if I'd recommend Mastercam, I would tell them to look elsewhere. The program has been broken for years and no one at CNC Software is serious about fixing it.

Sound like more than just complaining.

PEACE biggrin.gif