Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Alright, let's take the gloves off

fastercam

Is it just me, or is Mastercam the most unstable program sitting on your hard drive? I've been programming for 17 years, the last 9 of which on Mastercam and the thing's about driven me to the point of going postal. Features that don't work correctly, inexplicable crashes and inconsistent performance. Is this something to be proud of? If given the choice between a stable version 8 and a feature packed, crash prone version 10, give me version 8 any day (not that it was at all reliable either) Fellas, it's been nearly 3 full years since 9.0 was released and there are still certain functions that make me hold my breath every time I use them, the infamous "Edit Common Parameters" immediately comes to mind. We need this cleaned up rather than adding new bells and whistles. The whistle will be dirty and the bell will be cracked. Here's the bottom line, if someone was interested in purchasing programming software and asked me if I'd recommend Mastercam, I would tell them to look elsewhere. The program has been broken for years and no one at CNC Software is serious about fixing it. One last thing, don't bother asking me about specific problems I've been having. The list is long and past experience has shown it's a waste of time trying to get them resolved anyway.

There, I feel much better now. Flame me if you like but it needed to be said.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

flame.gif

Wow.

I have been using Mastercam for 9 years as well and I believe it to be one of the most stable programs on my machine. It very seldom ever crashes. And if it does it is usually because of something I did wrong. Hint, Hint. And if I do run into problems ,(which all software has) CNC software is usually right there to help me. So basically, I totally disagree with you. Sorry.

quote:

I believe so

+ about a million

Those who can do, those who can't..... bonk.gif

Sorry for your woes mr. fastercam, but its seems

your in this by yourself for the most part.

Why is it that the majority of us can get along

just fine.

Sure its not a perfect world "screws fall out all the time" But we all seem to get along.

quote:

the point of going postal.

If your not cut out for it ,try another profession.

Your way too stressed dude.

MC works great over here, GUYS???

PEACE biggrin.gif

A brave act of a real man

~~~~~~~~~~~~

One last thing, don't bother asking me about specific problems I've been having

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Come on ,fastercam !

that`s not fair .

You don`t leave me arguments .

So what is your plan ,man ?

To what Cam you plan to migrate and is this cam free of bugs .

Does that cam has "edit common parameters " at all ?

And why I must grab my flamethrower.?

I will continue to work with Mastercam ,BTW we have a lot of work from US ,so may be your company can share us some mold or two ?

You will be busy with learning next Cad-Cam system ,you know ,just a thought .

PS

I work with MC in a regular basis from ver7 ,never had a lot of problems (some issues always exist),and happy with ver9 .

If you want constructive dialogue ,list your problems and may be someone from this forum can help you .

HTH

I Absolutly Disagree also... Obviously your last five posts weren't on correcting your innummerable amount of problems you have had! Perhaps Bobcad is more UP YOUR ALLEY! banghead.gif The guys in here have always been more than willing to anwser the most basic to complex questions. As for Consulting. Maby you pissed off the wrong guy. They are A+ NUMERO UNO! cheers.gif

Good luck to you and all your year of programming experience!

fastercam,

i to would have to disagree with your opinion.i do agree certain features ar unpredictable at times,but over all mc is by far the most versatile software i have programmed with.(i have been using it on and off for the past 9 years).i am at the point where if i had to use something else i would go postal biggrin.gif

just my .02,

trevor

quote:

Fellas, it's been nearly 3 full years since 9.0 was released and there are still certain functions that make me hold my breath every time I use them, the infamous "Edit Common Parameters"

There has been numerous threads on what it

can/and cannot do.

A search would have brought that up.

Damn dude!! 3yrs !! And you can't make it work.

quote:

Perhaps Bobcad is more UP YOUR ALLEY!

I think chip is onto something here.

Sorry your having all these problems. frown.giffrown.gif

PEACE biggrin.gif

I make it a personal rule to stay away from trolls like this but i will make an exception in this case. I dont feel any personal need to defend CNC Software or their flagship product mastercam

quote:

Alright, let's take the gloves off

I bet that you have a lot of problems with computers and software in general. Not just mastercam.

So why has it taken you this long to rant when you have been using mastercam for 9 years? It is true that *most crashes are hardware related, not software.

futhermore:

idiot_s.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~

legal or not that is a question...

~~~~~~~~~~~

Not at all .

It is a question of approach .

There are some people that always not satisfied .

Someone not likes the way his toollist generated and the group names must be input in the posted code and has no other problems and suddenly he sais this ...

~~~~~~~~~~~

Features that don't work correctly, inexplicable crashes and inconsistent performance. Is this something to be proud of?

~~~~~~~~~~~

How come ?

You had nothing to ask for so long and suddenly ....

Desperation ,desolation or boredom ?

In this year distanse you may have solved most of your problems .

Or am I dumb ?

Fastercam.

I was just thinking along some of those lines myself. I was just griping to one of the other programmers about wcs. I see how nice and useful it is. but just bomb a few programs with it and you might feel as I am starting to feel about it.

As far as being stable, I have noticed that when I use windows 98 I have far less bombouts then with windows 2000. in fact I hate windows 2000 with mcam. as far as programming cnc machines I am satisfied with the power of mastercam.

The guys that never bomb out must be doing the easy stuff because I have just accepted that it will bombout at any time. I set autosave for 15 minutes and sometimes it is too long.

I wonder how the glitches compare to gibbs or surfcam or even catia.

quote:

The guys that never bomb out must be doing the easy stuff because I have just accepted that it will bombout at any time.

Ok fella,

You have aircraft industry, space industry, power generation, mold makers, die makers and many others here with minimal problems. What makes your stuff so much more difficult than ours?

quote:

The guys that never bomb out must be doing the easy stuff because I have just accepted that it will bombout at any time. I set autosave for 15 minutes and sometimes it is too long

My molds are just a series of holes!!..... headscratch.gif

Enough is enough! banghead.gif

Welcome to the Forum Fastercam! If your not with us, your against us biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif . J/K

I agree with you. When things go wrong (and we all know they inexplicably do) I want to throw mastercam out the window. I have not had the opportunity to try other CAD/CAM packages, so I can't make any comparisons as to if Mcam is better or worse than the "others".... Regardless, what mastercam has going for it seems far superior to what other packages are even offering.

After I settle down and complete a project, I'm in love again with Mcam. love/hate...more love. rolleyes.gif

What about Mcam being the most used of any CAM pkg? That's gotta say somethin'

I'm sure others will pipe in with direct experience as to it's virtues.

Oh, what pc is stable? Mac not included biggrin.gif

Billystein !

If you know me a bit just consider this :

As A Linux fan I can say this rather neutral opinion :

Windows98 far less stable ,way to buggy ,unsafe ,can not allocate large memory ,and in any other way worse than win2000 .

I regard 2000pro as most safe and stable windows OS ever ,period .

If it looks to you different ,that `s can be due to the way it is installed ,configured and used .

I was succesful with both and repair win 98 to so great amount of people ,I did it today ,for example ,and it is an easy thing and I do it easy and fast ,only 2000 is not so easy to break !!!!

This is like to compare M4A3 Sherman tank to Abrams tank or T-34 to T-90

PS .

I also do complex stuff ,at least from time to time