Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

WCS

jeff

Ok,I finally started to wise up and use the WCS when doing toolpaths.

Let's say I program a toolpath using the TOP WCS.

Then I switch to BOTTOM.

Now,what is the easiest way to have to toolpath start at Z Zero??

What it's doing is basically "rotating" the part around the origin.

I tried playing with the T/C plane in the tool parameters page,but I get all confused.

Say my part is 1" thick.

When I go to Bottom plane,the toolpath starts at Z1. instead of Z zero.

I recommend picking a part zero and sticking with it. Make one corner X0Y0Z0. Unless you have to tip it and go off a construction hole, that zero should stay the same the whole time. Some setups will require a Z1. clearance plane and some will require a Z6. clearance plane.

Thad

Are you copying your WCS for the side of the machining so you can name them and set them to the place you want them to be realtive to the origin. I have a part right now that has 9 operations and by using the WCS I can run the part complete with all 150 operations and see a fully machine part and then I can compare it to the orignal and look for problems. I still however like my C-plane for 4th and 5th axis work but for doing operations on different sides of t he same part like the WCS alot for these checking and time saving benfits.

HTH

quote:

Are you copying your WCS for the side of the machining so you can name them and set them to the place you want them to be realtive to the origin.

No,I am new to rotating the WCS(I just started playing with it a couple days ago) but I am getting the hang of it.

I just switch the WCS so the side that I want to machine is on top.

After 5 yrs or so of Mastercam,I am finally starting to use this feature.

LOL I've been rotating the whole part after locking all previous toolpaths.

I knew this feature was there,but didn't know how much easier it made my programming until I started using it.

Imagine that???

biggrin.gif

Well if you notice all the views have the 8 view names or system view. Guess what you can not change the names of these. So what I do is take front for example and will right click on it and then go create/copy selected then with the copy you can name it move it and still keep the orignal like it was for other things and then you can use that spefic WCS to move all of a group of operation without having to do alot or effect other thing that might be using the origanl WCS.

HTH

I do the same thing. I create a new TOP VIEW in WCS for each side. That way I'm always machining the "TOP" so to speak. Verify works great for multiple sided parts.. it's always machining a "top" plane.

Oh, I always always always create an STL file of my stock, and then use that as my stock for verification purposes.

hth.

Theepres , the answer is yes.

I have done more then postions then that from Semi ruffing to say 4 sides in a vise to finish some in a vise and then finish in the 4th axis or a virtical then on to a hoez all with the same file and posted ten diffrent programs.

I do almost every project using the WCS I would say 90 pecent range.

I use WCS all the time. The trick I find with verify is that when you go into verify, you should always make sure you are in the WCS that you created your job-stock in under toolpaths-jobsetup. Once you are in verify, then you can change to the WCS you want and it will move the stock accordingly. If you are verifying from STL Files, this is not necessary as long as your STL files are in the correct location to begin with. Typically, I verify the first operation from the job setup stock, then save it to a file and use the file for all subsequent operations, saving after each operation, this was I can go back and run from OP50 for example and pull up the stock from OP40 to start from.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Pres, I use WCS on EVERY part and WCS works well for me. On a few occasions though for one reason or another I needed to create an STL file to represent the stock even though it was rectangular in shape ans Job Setup SHOULD have handled it, but onther than that... works great. One tip though, when changing WCS's and going to verify, make sure you go to Job Setup after changing WCS to re-establish the Stock. I usually use "Pick Corners" and then I verify.

HTH

I have been using WCS quite a bit here myself, but probably using a bit different approach than most of you. Every instance of WCS movement, i save under new file name ie; op-a, op-b..etc.

So, when I verify say op-b, in verify i call up stl file "op-a.stl".

One thing i have noticed, when i get to say op-z, that STL file gets pretty huge (up to 50megs), and slows down verify to a crawl. Maybe a way to clean-up the last roughing STL, to make into some kind of "Dummy" Stl ?.

I create my fixtures on my tombstones in the .mc9 file, move my production part(s) onto the fixture then program the fixture and production parts right where they sit using WCS. I keep the tombstones/pallet assemblies (machine zero) at the system origin.

quote:

. Every instance of WCS movement, i save under new file name ie; op-a, op-b..etc.

Are you creating different mc9 files or creating and renaming the WCS?