Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

constant scallop

g huns

This is way cool! I'm like a kid with a new toy. I was looking around the in the c-hooks folder and clicked on the MCUtils, also way cool, and saw the icon for 3d scallop and though "that looks cool" and it is. Is there a catch? Anything to look out for when using this? Been using a lot of surface finish contour and then going back in with shallow to get the little flat spots that contour doesn't do. I just never noticed it at the bottom of the menu hiding in plain sight. We used to have mostly 2d work (connector tooling) lately it's all 3d stuff. Anything else terribly obvious I'm missing that can help me out?

Greg teh last to know

quote:

I have also found that solid model give much better results than surfaces for this toolpath.

Never paid much attention to that. Hmmmm headscratch.gif

Thanks ron, And this is a toolpath I use almost

daily too, a mix of surfs or solids. But never

noticed, I'll have to keep an eye on it.

PEACE biggrin.gif

If you already got surfs I'd stay w/ them.

The only time I switch from solids to surfs

or surfs to solids is when I have to.

Sometimes the toolpath just is'nt what I want and

the switch is just whats needed.

Some use one or the other, I use both.

quote:

and put the path to it I get retracts up the yang.

Drive off the original surf and see what that gets you.

PEACE biggrin.gif

Sorry let me restate that when the model coming in is a solid or was created using Mastercam soilds. Like Hardmill said you got surfaces use them. The idea is that surfaces are indivudal entites connected to each other and the mating place to the next surfaces. Well depedning on what created the surfaces there is always a gap now most times this is not a problem but if you have a very complex model I have seen a big difference between using a solid model of it and a surface model of it. Most times it starts out getting the IGES then I find out they have a .sldprt or .prt file and woulf get then translate them accoringly to come into Mastercam as a solid and that is how I have seen this differenece.

Things to try with scallop are bias angle soemtimes 45 or 30 makes this path very smooth. I have also set my gap setting to 100000% to keep the reatracts from being a problem this also works good with flowline and parrelle if you are getting excessive amounts of retracts. I also use follow surface in the advance and founf this make a big difference on scallop toolpaths.

HTH.

With surfaces it's all good, minimum retracts, smooth, part looks great. I am making three electodes one .0025 under, .005 and .010. The only trouble I have is that the part has a flat base w/3 odd shaped lugs sticking up. I have roughed w.125 ball and need to finish w/.046 ball that has .5 reach but only .125 flute length the in between is necked down to .042. The trouble is that it starts cutting at the top, working down and around the lugs and at some point goes to the flat base and then back up the lugs. With a necked down tool like this that causes some minor rubbing issues. Is there a way to order the cuts from top down? Does the bias setting effect this? Thanks for the help guys.

quote:

Is there a way to order the cuts from top down?

Yes. Scallop uses inside to outside check box. I usually have to adjust the gap settings to keep the tool from jumping a lot.

quote:

Does the bias setting effect this?

The box is in angles. Mess around with it to see how it works. It's sort of your rotation angle. headscratch.gif If you set it to 45 (degs) You can see your scallop crunch the biased angle in side view one of it's transition points. headscratch.gif

Hope that helps... cheers.gif