Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

arrrgghh.....file 0kb.......file lost

kkominiarek

i've been working on this job all day....saving constantly....every change i make, i save save save. well, last time i saved...mastercam or my computer locked up on me....i figured no problem,be patient, all will be ok. well after about 20 minutes of nothing (ctrl-alt-del didn't even bring up task manager) i rebooted my system. when i went to get my file it was there but had a big fat goose egg for file size. the whole day shot to hell. banghead.gif

i checked my event viewer event log for errors, but to my surprise there was no errors listed for

applications,security or system.

does anyone have an idea of what could've happened to my file?

my system booted up fine, all is good.

Ken,

I used to have the exact problem. The only thing that fixed it for me was to switch from an AMD processor to an INTEL processor. I haven't had the problem since. I know others who use AMD and have never had problems, so who knows?

Henri

Ken,

I'll bet you left your computer idling with a large SHADED solid model on the screen.

If I leave a shaded model on my screen for about 5 minutes, without touching the mouse or keyboard

my computer will lockup.....sometimes.

If you ALT CTL DEL out of it you'll usuually be OK

If you try to save your file, you loose it all.

Its something to do with the parasolid kernal

eating all the RAM. Some machines do it, some don't headscratch.gif

John,

There is one major bug that will delete all of your files in the directory that you are working in. This has happened to me a few times and also other people I know.

If you do a *.doc file from the view manager and then browse for a new location instead of just let it write to C:mcam9commontemp

Does your network have a salvage? In our network, you can just right click on a mapped network drive and salvage data.

HTH,

Mike

Ken,

I am sorry to hear what has happened to you.

There may be better ways? but what I do is just uncheck all of the boxes is the autosave thing and write to something like "autosave.mc9" every 10min or so. If something like this happens immediately alt tab to explorer and drag/copy the file for safety. I also make incremental backups every 1/2 day or so just in case. It depends on the job.

Mike

The type of CPU is not the cause. I have only used Intel CPU's.

I have had the 0 byte syndrome plenty of times.

Quite reciently in fact.

Sorry about your file but it is a longtime bug.

No one likes to talk about it.

+ 1000 to Bernie.......

Since I am extra paraniod, I always save 2 files.

I never open a file up unless I have 2 exact copies. When you get the 0 bytes on one of them, immediatly overwrite it with a copy of the other saved file.

quote:

I think it actually has something to do with the network.

good guess......

Oh yeah the wondeful great and amzaing 0 byte file. Yes I have seen this on a XEON 3.2 with 2 gigs of RAM.

Sorry to hear it and yeah it sucks and yeah been there done that does not help either. REKD and JAMES both have put up a backup script that will save your current file asa .zip or .war file and date it as well. Do a search and see what you come up been up more time than I can remember I have not used them but alot of people have and they like the results it gives them.

Good luck and hope you come up with a backup or autosave comes through for you.

I agree with Murlin, I keep two copies of my mc9 files. I save one and then immediately open it to verify it is a good save. After working a bit longer, I save the file with a "-1" in the name. I then immediately open that file to veirfy it is a good save. I then switch back and forth between the two files on my next saves. It doesn't make the problem go away, but the lost work is minimized.