Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

File Backup???

Rob B

I would like to get some feedback on how others on the forum do routine backup of their MC files.

I have a cd burner with Roxy cd software.

I want to save, files once a week, to make a backup cd of thefiles that are on my hardrive.

What I would like to do is use the same cd(rewritable) everytime. Basic only saving the files that have changed during that week.

I don't know whether to use the roxy software or Win backup to make my backup cd.

Thanks

Rob

Our file server has an external hard drive that backs up the server every night. I am supposed to save my files to the server but I often fail to do this. I have several CD's that I have backed up to for historical backups. Stuff I don't think I will ever need again but am afraid to throw away. I try to do one of these CD's about once a quarter. Bad practice I know but I am a one man show here most of the time.

I am using a stand alone computer basicly the only one programing.The owner is screaming for file to be backed up, which I can understand. I want to do this so that I want have 10-20 cd's laying around then trying to find the file on one of those cd's. With multiple copy's of the same program with different changes made to each program file.

It can get real sloppy, real fast, if you don't try to stay with the least # of backup cd's.

Does this make any sense?

Rob, I do a weekly backup of all my "active" jobs. I try to keep the active folder down to 1 backup CD. When I approach the limit of a single CD, I move older stuff into an archive folder. I try to move enough jobs to fill a CD into the archive folder. I then burn a CD for that archive. This keeps my weekly backup to one CD. If I need to work on a job that has been archived, it gets moved into the active folder until I need more space there. This is a manual backup system but it works for me.

As laszlok suggests, archive what isn't active so that you have a managable sized backup.. If that exceeds 1 or 2 CDs, have the boss spring for a dvd burner.. I can't imagine many peoples 'active' stuff is larger than 3.2GB...

hope that's helpful..

also to clarify, I reuse my cd-rw and dvd-rw disks... I usually cycle between two discs so that I have 2 weeks old stuff on the 2nd disc by the time I wipe it and backup again.

I back up three times a week to a machine somwhere else in the building. I have a folder on that machine for Monday Wednesday and Friday. I save all files to a Partition on my machine called Backup D:. Each program I use has all the paths set to go to D: so nothing is ever saved to C: except throw away files like .iges, .x_t or any other intermediate file that are used between my design and cam software. Then at the end of the day on the tree days I back up I just drag and drop to the backup machine. Ocasionly I use WinRar and archive those backups to a differant location on that same backup machine. The backup machine is backed up to a DVD once a week.

RandleXX, I only backup what can not be easily recovered. Config files, tool libraries, posts and similar do not need routine backups since they do not change often. I include that stuff with a more comprehensive system backup. I do not backup the nc programs since they can be reposted from the mc9 file.

We are a small shop, 2 people and I am the only one who uses the computer. Currently I have all my files saved on the "server" (PIII 1000 computer I used to use for Mastercam). I also use a program called "syncback" to backup only what has changed since the last back to my laptop. This allows me to take all the files home and use them locally, and it also serves as a backup. For a little extra security, which I have been kind of slacking on lately, I backup through the internet to my computer at home. This is a manual process at the moment (Haven't had time to figure out how to automate it). I use a program called RemotelyAnywhere which has a file transfer option, and will transfer only the files that have changed since the last time I used it. This enables me to a keep a backup of all my files (approx 10gb worth) in a matter of 5-10 minutes. Of course the first time I did it, it took 3 days.

I could get rid of the internet option to my home computer since I take the laptop home. I could just backup from the laptop to the computer at home. If I could automate this, it would be the best way IMHO. You are not limited by space. Just pop a bigger harddrive in the home computer if needed. My DSL service is also unlimited amount of data can be transferred.

I used to backup to DVD's (when the DVD writers first came out). That was OK, but I couldn't get everything on one DVD.

We back up to a Seagate Travan tape drive 40G every night and store in fireproof safe. Peer to peer network with a Snap Server for file storage.

However the next time the tape drive acts up, we are going to switch to using an external hard drive (can get 120G for $150 Seagate) because we have customers who basically insist that files are archived off premise. They say on premise fireproof is not good enough. We can take the hard drive home.

Looked into on-line storage but cost is astronomical.

Rob:

Get a Maxtor external drive. It comes with one touch retrospect backup software. One installed you just push the one button on the front of the drive and the backup software does the rest. It couldn't be easier.

fry's wink.gif

[ 01-19-2005, 06:06 PM: Message edited by: Marc Lindsey at San Diego CAD CAM ]

It appears that saving info is just like programming MC. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Thanks for the input. If anyone else has more info about saving files please feel free to ive more ideas. It amazes me how we do different thing to get to the same place.

Only in America.

We use a program called second copy 2000 to automatically backup only what's changed in the .MC9 folder. This program is totally customizable and works great. It saves to 3 other machines in the building. I can't imagine burning CD's or DVD's for this stuff... Having the software means there's nothing to accidentally forget...

Also, old files are compressed in .RAR format and archived in a separate folder which is also stored automatically on 3 other computers periodically throughout the day... Saves a huge amount of space !