Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

toolpath -- how do I make it easier to view

beginner

Cadist,

quote:

Or You can right click on any toolpath goto options--»display--»off

Exactly what does this do ? I tried it and got a "display options" window... Did I do something wrong ?

More specifically to the point, I would like to be able to quickly review one operation at a time. I have seen a quick display of each toolpath as I complete each one but how can I make only one that I created earlier display ? You might suggest backplot but some toolpaths take sooooo long to backplot that I would love a quicker way...

For example, I have a toolpath that is 78334K which displays in about 1 second after I press the "toolpaths" button but if I backplot it I am looking at several minutes... How can I isolate only one operation for this quick display ?

quote:

Exactly what does this do ? I tried it and got a "display options" window... Did I do something wrong ?

I guess so headscratch.gif

Better you press the key "t" . to toggle on or off for the display of selected toolpath. It will be much faster than backplot. Don't forget to turn off the display of other toolpaths.

HTH

moldmaker in the hot seat,

Cadist was suggesting to right-click on any selected operation within the Operations Manager. This produces a menu where Options can be selected and a "fly-out" menu lists many options. One of the options is to turn Toolpath Display on or off of the selected operation. It's quicker if you just select (left-click = blue checkmark) the operation you wish to display and press "T" on the keyboard. Whereabouts in CT are you m.i.t.h.s.? I hope you don't take offense at my shortening of your handle. cheers.gif

m.i.t.h.s.,

That's cool. How long have you been programming with Mcam? Ever been to Eastec? I've passed through Dayville a few times on my way to Foxwoods or Mohegan Sun. biggrin.gif Are you in a large or small shop? Just curious to know if you're working with anyone I know in that area. If you don't want to say, that's OK. biggrin.gifcheers.gifbiggrin.gif

I've been using Mastercam for around 4 years now. It's the only CAD/CAM software I've ever really been exposed to. Previously, I was just a rank and file mid-level moldmaker but recently our programmer was terminated and I am the next best guy on MasterCam. Hence the handle "M.I.T.H.S." ! I was overwhelmed at first because the shoes I am filling are pretty big but so far I'm doing well (at least partially because of this forum). Yes, I've been to Eastec a few times but not recently..

We are a small shop building molds for parts from the size of a quarter to the size of a man-hole cover. We have 7 full time people.

The company is called Ferron Mold and Tool.

M.I.T.H.S.

One man's loss is another man's gain. biggrin.gif Good luck with the job. This forum is great for finding info. Feel free to call or send me an e-mail if you need any help or advice. I worked in a packaging shop in RI where I was programming prototype and production thermoform molds for their clamshell PCB transport products and medical sterile packs. It was quite challenging because each product was different. The great part about it was programming, setting up and running a part from the Pro-E design to completion. There's no greater feeling of satisfaction when you can say, "I made that". biggrin.gifcheers.gifbiggrin.gif

Let me just add to this post to clarify some things for anybody that finds it later on.

I was a bit fuzzy on this topic even after all the helpful posts. I have since done some experimenting and believe I have it all worked out.

It seems that if I toggle ALT-T until all toolpaths are visible (while under the "toolpath" menu), I can then R-click on all of my OPERATION GROUPS (one at a time) and select TOOLPATHS, OPTIONS, TOOLPATH DISPLAY, OFF which will turn off the display of all operations. Then, I can R-click only one operation and set toolpath display to on (TOOLPATHS, OPTIONS, TOOLPATH DISPLAY, ON) and finally, I can view the toolpath and dynamically rotate it without having to backplot.

If anybody wonders why I would go through all this just to view a toolpath, my answer is that I often create huge finishing toolpaths which take a considerable amount of time to backplot.

Okay,

So I can view the toolpaths using the Alt-T from the Operations Manager, but I am unable to reposition my viewpoint. No zooms, no pans, etc.

Sometimes, the toolpaths remain "ON" after the Operation Manager dialog box is closed, but sometimes (ususally) the toolpaths are no longer visable. What am I missing here?

Camdude,

Strange, the Alt T works.... sometimes. I pressed the Alt T combo several times and almost quit, then it worked. I didn't change anything, just kept hitting the same keys.

So I pulled up another simple CNC programs. Opened Operations Manager to look at the toolpath. Same thing. Very frustrating.