Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Questions to ask job applicants

EZ3PUTT

First thing you do before asking ANY questions what-so-ever is ask to look at their hands.

If they have working hands, ask'em some questions if you wish while they are unloading their ragged old toolbox out of the back of their beat up old truck.

If they have business-man's hands, you're on your own..... headscratch.gif

biggrin.gif

Well, lets see if I can step on anyones toes...

1st of all, I have been a toolmaker,Manual machinist for over 30 years, CNMG? well before I took CNC programming, all I know was if it was the insert I needed to do the job or not, most of the time I would use what would get the part cut right, Didn't need to know WHAT type or kind of insert it was, I knew if it would work or not, so I would not have passed according to a few of you, nor do I know the compositional differance between the kinds of stainless, say 17-4 ph, or 316, 303, I know what they are and how to cut them alot better then most i have ever seen in the trade , 4140 it seems I only meet a few that could cut this without strinky shavings and chatter on long bars..

about the last job I had,well about 10 years ago , hmm, forman ripping my timecard in my face didn't work out well, old man about 75-80 cussing me out because I had a part in a 4jaw chuck (didn't have rap arounds) 18 in OD with a 16 ID by 4 in long and had to but a 1/2 sgr thread in 316 stainless, so I used a 1/8 wide tool and though I would move the compound over to bring it in, (didn't want it to spin in the chuck) well, he made me put a 1/2 tool in even though I know it would waste the part, it did. (got to do what the boss says you know), haha. even had one tell me to do it like this to get a converse rad, but his way really was convex, I made it the right way, he fired me a few weeks later. he drank to much btw smile.gif

Math questions?

well g, I didn't know the formula for putting a ball in a tappered hole by heart,what is the minor od for a stub acmi thread? opps, I failed that test (machinist handbook is for that).

the one that works for me is..........

the walk around the shop, its the best, this is why...........

Oh, I see you have a G&L boring mill, I have setup and run a 12' VTLs like that before or do you make many of those castings, nice OD grinder, I can set them up and take any tapper out of it with .0001 in most cases, you hold .0003 on the OD on this shaft in the Lathe? no problem. on and on like that, I tell them I can run that or do this most all the time I get the job.

I had a g code question one time, it was G00, I never did programming before, but I can set that part in the machine right, Didn't get the job (I can set the tools now, btw, only because I took a class smile.gif but what the heck is a cnmg 432, well I know that now too, 1 year ago, like I stated, I know if it would work or not. C4, C6, and 838 grade cemented carbide, I grind them by hand is what I used to do alot of. but if you asked me to get that CNMG, I was lost lol no one ever did ask untill I started working on CNCs

I can read any print, and make any part on manual machines,well, not any part ;-) don't ask me what wire size I have to use on a 11 pitch thread untill I can look it up!!!!!

question for you all,

without looking it up or useing mastercam, can YOU do the dims on all the holes on a boltcircle with only a hand held calculator? all machinist I have meet needs to use the trig book. you don't need to. OK, hard one, what kind of cut does G21 do? them OLD CNCs, cunfussing. just shows you never can know it all, you are always learning in the shop!

the way to tell if a machinist is a good find or not, is to see if he can sharpen a drill by hand, then if he can do that, tell him you want to sharpen it to cut a hole in soft brass , when I have hired, I also would ask if they can take a heavy clime cut on a bridgeport mill., also if they cut threads on a lathe amost as fast as a CNC does up to a shoulder, thats what I did when looking for help in the shop, if they can do that, they can do alot around the shop IMHO

I have had job interviews were I told them I can cut a sqr hole in a lathe while the part is turning in the chuck, opps, didn't get that job biggrin.gif

good luck,

Mike

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I was just looking for "some sort of insert" and that would have sufficed.

quote:

...I failed that test (machinist handbook is for that)...

Actually I would not consider that failure. Not knowing WHERE to start to look for the answer is failure IMNSHO. biggrin.gif

I'd probably hire you Mike. biggrin.gifcheers.gif

quote:

1st of all, I have been a toolmaker,Manual machinist for over 30 years, CNMG? well before I took CNC programming, all I know was if it was the insert I needed to do the job or not, most of the time I would use what would get the part cut right, Didn't need to know WHAT type or kind of insert it was, I knew if it would work or not, so I would not have passed according to a few of you,

Don't sweat it Mike, you wouldn't want to work for James anyway biggrin.gif

• 7 years later...
Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

That's about how long it takes to hire someone here. :(

I feel your pain. Been looking for an AE up in the Northwest for a while myself. We've had some quality applicants but they just lacked in some of the technical areas we needed strength in. So we keep looking. Of course it does not help that Boeing is throwing sick money at people right now.

• Like 1

If I was hiring for a programming or forman position I would ask all the standard techinical know how questions listed above. I really like the idea of asking someone how they would approach making a certain part. One question I would add is what type of leadership qualities do you possess. I'm a firm believer in the fact that everything rises and falls on leadership. If the people at the top have the right attitude and want to help bring the company and the people under them up to a higher level that attitude becomes contagious. A persons level of effectiveness is determined by his or her leadership ability. No matter how much you know you can only accomplish so much on your own. Much more can be accomplished by training others and influencing people to work together as a team and that requires leadership ability.

• Like 1

EZ3Putt,

I've had a few of them myself, Better than a 4 putt though. (Sorry I could not resist)

The best questuion I ever heard was,

How fast do you run an Edge finder?

I know it is a simple question but it gets some great answers, One guy told me 5000 RPM, That was a very quick interview, One question one wrong answer, See Ya later!

Greg I have asked a few times the same question it is funny some times the answer you get.

I have even asked how fast do you run a indacator in mill with answers like 100 rpm.. lol

Here's what I think makes for a good machinist/programmer (being one myself)...

The absolute biggest credit to my skills has been the people I have worked with. I learned a lot from them. So ask about their machining background and maybe what they learned from who. Ask them to give examples. If they have the skills you are looking for and they say anything remotely close to "This one old guy showed me..." hire them. It means they LISTENED! These old guys and their skills are disappearing fast! Finding someone who can bring some of that experience into a shop is going to benefit your current and future employees.

I like the idea of giving them a print and asking how they would machine it. Have a couple examples. Have one print of a simple to machine part, and maybe one you have machined and had a little trouble with. See what kind of ideas they come up with when put on the spot. Keep in mind though, most fixture ideas don't come to mind right away. Someone who recognizes machining a part is going to be a pain may be a better choice than someone who is cocky and spits out an idea right away.

• Like 1
Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Before I put my indicator in the spindle I make S50 active so just in case I press the wrong button, I won't imbed an interrapid in my body anywhere. I run my Blake Indicol @50 RPM as well.

The Flying indicator happened to me once at 6000 RPM and ever since I try to teach everyone to set a low speed when ever using an indicator. Most of our machines alarm out at anything lower than 80rpm.

Just last week a coworker forgot to do just that and a 18 in contraption flew out at 7k. It hit him and was lucky it bounced off his arm. The thing bounced and hit 3 feet away from me. This could've been so bad...

God is great.

post-19113-0-46706400-1349481296_thumb.jpg

post-19113-0-80785400-1349481306_thumb.jpg

Just last week a coworker forgot to do just that and a 18 in contraption flew out at 7k. It hit him and was lucky it bounced off his arm. The thing bounced and hit 3 feet away from me. This could've been so bad...

I once accidentally spinned a 3d taster at 8000rpm, The whole thing shaked apart and the internals flew right threw the safety glass like it was made of paper. I learned my lesson that day.