Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hastaloy

tlarue

Welcome to the forum cheers.gif

quote:

I am drilling 1/4 holes 5.5" deep in hastaloy B and hastaloy C. Can anyone recommend a good drill for this application?

I'm sorry

HSS/Cobalt drills, I like Guhring Drills but you might try something like this

Drill

You'd still need something to finishe the depth though but that is the avenue I'd try in first.

I think the feed per rev is to high. I have cut this stuff at about 8 sfm with cobalt drills and cutting oil not coolant and had pretty good luck. The drill size was .110 dia. That is a terrible distance to drill I curious what people chime in with on this one. Osg had some carbide drills that are supposed to do awesome in this stuff. If you have many parts make your tool reps put something together for you they really like to one up each other on getting tools that work better for us.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Nastyloy...

Titex has helped me solve some difficult to drill applications. They offer 12 x Diameter Drills off the shelp, though you'll a bit short. Thye do make custom drills.

Going that deep, I sure hope you have Through Tool Coolant. Linky

HTH

lots of experience with drilling hastalloy. just not 5.5 inches deep. was drilling through 1.125" thick plate. i believe we used a drill from ma ford, similiar to the link above. the stuff is just plain hard to do any milling operations. have had much better luck turning. +1000 DavidB....through the spindle coolant is almost more important than the drill you use. if you can't get the chips out.....the drill will weld itself to your part. haven't had much luck step drilling as described above. the carbide drills we used didn't appreciate starting in a predrilled or spotted hole. i think if you slow the feed rate down upon entry you'll be fine though. best of luck. you'll need it.

I just did a job drilling diameter 6mm x 140mm deep in 15-5ph heat treated S.S.I had no prob using short drill then rapid to 3mm above where last drill finished then driil to depth with longer drill,then repeat again with extra long drill.

I had through spindle coolant.

The last drill I even pecked more for chip evacuation.

HTH

We do a Hastaloy-C job with a 5/16 drill, 5 1/2 deep.

The stuff is tough to drill. When drilling, the material seems to work harden. No problems turning or milling, just drilling. We have tried a lot of different tools and methods. What we settled on was drilling with a generic (Greenfield), center-cutting, jobber. 40SFM .0003 FPT. Yep, that's a pretty low toothload, but with that material, it is more of a chalenge getting through-the-day than it is getting parts-out-the-door.

It is highly resistant to both heat and alot of chemicals that stainless steels are not. Don't quote me on the heat thing, but we used it in many applications when making filter housings and vessels used in the production of pharmeceuticals. Customers and engineers choose this material due to its longivity before needing to replace. Used alot in aerospace applications i hear also.

The parts we are working on are used in the chemical pump industry. We are getting through with cobalt drill but we have to resharp the drill about every inch. I contacted siem tool and they will make a through coolant carbide drill for this application. To make it worse these parts are cast. Thank you for the help.