Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Haas control issue

steve f

Hey guys and gals,

I provide contract programming for several local manufacturing companies and one of my customers has a HAAS VF-4 that I've been programming toolpaths on recently to cut some taper walled slots .100" wide by 1.26" deep (mould application). The nc program in question ran over all of last weekend cutting away fine until the last slot at which point the machine started creating motion beyond the programmed coordinates...essentially the X axis quit moving on an X,Y command creating a slot that has essentially gouged the part.

eek.gif

I've checked and re-checked the program with no problems showing, dryran the same program again this morning and no problems. The customer wasn't particularily pleased to say the least but are being gracious in recognizing there was a machine issue over the weekend.

This is a big customer and I'd like to find someone else out there who's run into a similar situation to clear the air of any doubt.

So here's your chance to give me all the dirt on Haas controls. Honestly, I love 'em for their simplicity but it's no good if you can't trust the machine.

cheers,

steve

mill3 v9

www.muvdesign.com

We have a HAAS VF-3, never had any problems.

We also have a Hurco that has made moves that have scrapped parts. A coworker was making several of the same size inserts using a vise. The hurco made all the inserts then scrapped the last one with a bad move. Trashed the Carboly cutter. We ran the program again and it ran just fine. cuckoo.gif

I've had something similar happen once.

Chips had pilled up on the covers behind the table and when the table moved all the way back the chips would pack up.

I was running a srtaight cut along the x axis and all of a sudden the lead screw in y axis slipped.

You say your machine ran all weekend!?

Do you think this might have been the issue?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I've had something similar on a Fadal. Scrapped a part with a program, ran another 10 parts and no issue. eek.gif That was hard to 'splain to the boss. NEVER had it happen on a Fanuc Contol though.

CNC's SHOULD run unattended, hence they are called CNC - Computer Numerical Control, NOT HIC - Human Intervention Control.

If it can't run without someone babysitting it, somebody somewhere did not do their job.

quote:

X axis quit moving on an X,Y command creating a slot that has essentially gouged the part.

If this occurs on a closed loop system, the control should halt on an endpoint error.

If chips get crunched up on a slide, the control should fault out with an axis overload.

I would get a tech guy out and have him check my main and slide driver boards. But this is prol a random error that he will not be able to see unless he happens to be standing by the machinetool when it does it again.