Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D Machining _Tips & Tricks

LIGHTNING_

For 8 out of 10 parts:

rough using Surface Rough Pocket

finish using Surface Finish Contour w/ shallow enabled

For the 9th part:

finish with Parallel

For #10 of 10:

finish using any and perhaps all available toolpaths. Whatever it takes to get the job done.

In all cases, the cut and filter tolerances are critical to getting good results and maximizing what your machine can do.

This is way oversimplified but it might get a total newbie pointed in the right direction.

Good luck cheers.gif

• Like 1

Parallel step finish is good, but don't over look constant scallop as a nice finishing path, especially on rounded or curved Z surfaces with ball end mills. very nice path, have done some nice intricate sufaces with smaller than .015 dia ball mills. Rough the best way, usually pocket or rough paralle. You will need to experiment a little anyways with your parts. Just keep those filter and arc tolerances up there for good finishes. small stepovers, high spindle speeds and med to slower feeds for tight surfaces.

I would say use "scallop" as a last resort to anything cause it outputs huge long time wasting paths when others will do , try to stick to parallel if you can or coutour finish for z cuts, remove small corners or rads in part by using pencil passes then finish with bigger cutters then finish small rads with leftover machine

Dave

• Like 1

Nothing will get you as fine a finish on circular paths... They are more intensive and I usually run them on the overnight programs, but I deal more with very small intricate molds and need clean surfaces and finishes that can't easily be finished by hand. I have a dual proccessor so I don't worry so much about the large files. Everyone seems to have their prefs anyway, all ways experimenting and teaking makes for learning curves that make us better programmers.

DG,

I agree with you about the effectiveness of scallop on circular parts with 3D surface shapes but my only problem with scallop has always been the stepover in the same location onto the next offset.

Here's my workaround tip for the above situation if anyone cares to try:

-create a 2D pocket spiral toolpath using a chain set to the edge of surface geometery.

-project 2D toolpath onto surfaces.

With a small stepover this approach creates great surface finishes AND eliminates any stepover dwell marks.

HTH,

steve

I will look into that, Thanks. I had done some stuff with that path in the past but got away from it. I think I get too comfortable with what I'm doing at the present time sometimes. You know? You find something that works and don't bother looking further..

I use Pocket Rough,Rest mill for the small corners,Parallel finish, Parallel steep,(leaving stock)then Constant scallop(85% of the time) for the uniform Finish.

Finish it off with pencil trace.

And if it looks bad in a couple of areas scrub it with Flowline and use check surfaces.

The trick of creating a 2-d path and projecting onto the surface works great as long as the walls are not to steep.

Iskander,

how would you duplicate this toolpath using surface project blend. I gave it a shot and wasn't successful, thought you could show me something I might be missing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

U need to understand how this thing works -it works exactly as blend two surfaces .

You have two contours and the blending result is

morphic transformation of one contour to the other

Look at the blend example in mastercam or build your own -create the sphere part ,now in surface->project ->blend geometry select 2 contours -Top one select point as contour geometry ,bottom contour geometry select circle .

Select all the needed parameters (would not be a problem ) and that`s it

You will get a nice spiral as a result without jumps or steps on it ,the tool enters part and

never leaves it till the end of the toolpath .

If you learn the principle you`ll know what geometry to select and what result to expect .

Great toolpath for finishing

HTH

quote:

when using the pencil part of surfacing are you supposed to just pick the surfaces around the area you want machined?

John,

Select all surfaces that you just roughed and MC will find the areas that need to be cut.

Welcome to the forum! cheers.gif

Thad