Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine Recommendations

Ocean Lacky™

quote:

Definitely a step above Haas

A step???? C'mon James you usualy say what's on your mind wink.gif

Ocean, if you don't think your Mazak could handle the job you could bet your 1st born that the Haas will NOT also.

I agree with the choices that James mentioned, but as Harmill suggested;

quote:

maybe you need

to take advantage of new age tooling, tool paths, and

even workholding.

You will be surprised with some of the tooling available out there and how it could benefit you.

Good luck cheers.gif

They have a Mazak, to suggest a HAAS, now that's some funny xxxxe biggrin.gif

James' reccomendations are spot on.

Though HAAS is a little mare than one step down from the rest it might be several steps above a Fadal.

[ 01-27-2006, 06:59 AM: Message edited by: jmparis ]

Well, not knowing what material you're working with other than its a forging, I'm inclined to think that you may be using the wrong machine for the app. The 300VTC is more geared for high speed machining of large work pieces. If you need a machine to "plow" large and/or deep cavities, this particular model may not do it. Better off with a FJV or V series.

Follow Hardmill's advice on this one for this particular machine and change the process/methods. I think you have a good machine, just need a different approach.

cheers.gif

Thanks for all the input. Hardmill's comment brings up another issue. Being located in the backwoods of Central florida, there aren't too many tool salespersons who are knowledgeable in the type of materials that we use. (Finkl Die blocks) Generally, when the tool reps come in, everyone in the shop gathers 'round the machine and places bets on when the "Latest and Greatest" tool technology will melt down. As of this moment, the best performance comes from a 2.5" dia face mill with .5" dia button inserts(900 RPM, 50 IPM, .03 depth) but I'm sure it can be done faster. Any ideas?

quote:

As of this moment, the best performance comes from a 2.5" dia face mill with .5" dia button inserts(900 RPM, 50 IPM, .03 depth) but I'm sure it can be done faster. Any ideas?

Here is one example (not familiar with you material though.

Mitsubishi AJX type in stainless;

2.5" Dia with 4 flutes

SFM 560

FPT .060

DOC .060

= 856 RPM @ 206 IPM

We have so much confidence in these cutters that we run them unattended at night. BTW, the body is covered under warranty for 2 years. You blow it up, they send you a new one for free.

Check out some videos from their website web page

Ocean Lacky, We also cut forging dies so I am very familiar with the material you are cutting (nasty stuff) We are using a Haas VF-8 and have not had any problems with it at all and are cutrently looking into a Haas EC-1600. We use Iscar fast feed mills for our heavy cutting but are looking at the Mitsubishi AJX. If you have any other questions just ask. Don't be so hard on a hydrotell Hardmill they can move a lot of material real fast.

quote:

Thanks for all the input. Hardmill's comment brings up another issue. Being located in the backwoods of Central florida, there aren't too many tool salespersons who are knowledgeable in the type of materials that we use. (Finkl Die blocks) Generally, when the tool reps come in, everyone in the shop gathers 'round the machine and places bets on when the "Latest and Greatest" tool technology will melt down.

Thats the problem right there, they're salesmen.

Soon, real soon I'll be making a push with tool sales,

not just gettin you to buy but to educate at the same time.

Showing someone how to properly apply new technology

is key and there is just no real support out there.

Alot of these guys are good but the vast majority

will only take the time to open the book and say

"run it this fast", collect their check and be gone. Always been a big hole in the system in

my opinion.

PEACE biggrin.gif