Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

File name, group name, toolpath name, etc.

camguymtl

Hi guys, I am using version X MR1 and would like to understand the intent behind so many options for names of all sorts used in mastercam!

1st*

In Machine group properties panel:

Group name: I use the same name as the file name eg: N8000

Toolpath name: useless for multiple tool path groups

Group comment: ok

2nd*

In each tool path groups (operations)

Toolpath name: I use the same name as file name + setup # eg: N8000-1

Then if I right click I get

"Edit Selected Operations":

Change NC file name: I use the same name as file name + setup # eg N8000-1

Change Program #: useless

I would like to suggest to drop the machine group toolpath name, the operations toolpath name is enough already. Also pick "NC file name" and drop "Program #" as it is hard coded in the post most of the time.

I know it's been talked about a bit but I feel this area realy needs a good clean up!

Your comments please!!

eek.gif

Bob

Thanks for your replies, I still have the feeling that some panels are not setup right. I use them to, but the Machine group properties panel should not include the tool path name as it is already used for each Toolpath group you create.

Especially confusing when there are only 3 strings that relate to all these names in the post.

Cheers!

Bob

cheers.gif

Everyone probably renames them anyway so if they started out with the file name it would certainly help me because in most cases I use the same name for all. And when I do not then I could rename them as everyone probably does anyway.

In the same vane setdir c-hook is what I am waiting for because navigating all the paths just adds to the extra work and I want all the files for a given job in the same folder.

I don't use the machine group name much, but I always have 3+ toolpath groups under the machine group. One thing I would like to see is an option that the NC filename would match the toolpath group name. That way I could see just by looking at the op manager what the name of each NC file will be rather than having to open an operation and "hover" over the filename area. Would be neat also if it updated the filename any time you make a change to the toolpath group name.