Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

PICKING IT UP

NEWBEE

I would figure out what type machine work you are looking to get into, find a similar shop with a second shift(or non conflicting shift with your day job) and work part time. One of my best Die Builders started sweeping floors part time. The experience of being on the floor is pricless compared to the "non realworld" book and lab work I've been exposed to in schools. Especially if this is going to be your own business. You'll be exposed to more cost relative situations. Then if you are still interested, fork out the cabbage for school.

Just my 2 cents.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newbee, check your mailbox. I am sending you a power point presentation called "Milling Basics 2003" that was created by Mike Gadzinski. He is Technical Seminars and Training Manager for Iscar Metals. No drilling info in there, but at least it's some free reading material that has a lot of good info. HTH

Newbee, Welcome to the forum +1 on the schooling, another way to get some good free experience is to find a machinist/scooter tramp/mentor, ask if he would like to use your machine to build parts for his scoot. Look over his sholder and ask alot of questions. Get your feet wet right up to your neck. Jump in and have fun with it. cheers.gif

Shane, Try decaf.

Keith

quote...

That's right, and I'm gonna keep milkin' my $70K a year until that 8 year old Chinese boy with his leg chained to the machine takes the work away...

Unfortunatly that Chinese boy will learn the job and work for a bowl of rice a day to do the work we get paid top dollar for. Might not be to the same quality, but you get what you pay for.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...When the very people that do this for a living hold their trade with such regard that "a few classes at night" equates to the experience that a First Class Machinist has, it is no wonder why manufacturing in America is destined for outsourcing...

Shane, Shane, Shane..... :shakehead:

I don't think anyone in here for a second thinks that. We're just saying TO GET STARTED... Everybody gets started. Perhaps our nOOb friend is putting the cart before the horse, but that's ok. He's eager to learn and not shy about asking for help. Those are 2 BIG plusses IMHO.

There is plenty of help around here to be had.

Starting where you are starting from though, there is going to be a lot that falls on you to pick up.

There is no replacing experience wink.gif

Good Luck in you endeavour.

cheers.gif

Ok so we have established that we all need experience to become a skilled craftsman. But what better way than learning at you own pace, in your own garage, on your own machine, making parts for yourself/buddies, no pressure, no bosses, etc. That is the perfect place to do the "trial /error thing. And with ANY common sense, it can be learned. I have a 21 year old kid that has been working in my shop for about a year, with no prior experience, right now I can say that he has surpassed "some" of the employees that work in this shop who claim have 5+ years experience. That just goes to say that "common sense" can be a bigger factor than experience alone.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When the very people that do this for a living hold their trade with such regard that "a few classes at night" equates to the experience that a First Class Machinist has, it is no wonder why manufacturing in America is destined for outsourcing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well put and already happening

quote:

, and the like quoting finished parts at a price lower than my material cost might be a larger factor...

ooh ooh,

I know, I know,

just buy your material cheaper wink.gif

quote:

machininst (not operator). I think those two terms have become too entwined.

amen, but nobody suggested that a few weeks in class would get him there. I finished my apprenticeship in 92' and I haven't worked in the same place the whole time since, so I've learned alot along the way. You got to start somewhere and the comprehensive classes at NTMA will start anyone with enough passion in the right direction. Although, it's true that not everyone is cut out for this trade, which is why you probably had to fire a few of those who have invested in the class/classes and still failed. There's still automechanics! wink.gif

A Lot Of Us Conform To Working 40-70 Hours A Week For Someone Else. I Give Newbee Some Credit For Thinking Outside The Box. One Of The Most Successful Stories I Have Heard Came From A Finance Guy Who New Nothing About Machining Or Machines. This Finance Guy Saw A Need In His Company, Bought A Machine, Built A Mold 3 Months Later And Made Wealth.

“Attitude And Aptitude”

quote:

There's still automechanics!

That is funny you say that. I have a guy on my shift who was a mechanic for 20 years, and now he has converted since he is tired of busting his knuckles(haha). Other than the fact that he has to tighten every little set screw with 150 ft/lbs of torque (cuz that's what mechanics do) he is actually quite productive, considering that most of the stuff we do is prototype work. He has been going to the local trade school for about a year, and he mentioned to me that he has learned more in 3 to 4 months working in the shop than he has at school.....suprising......no.

quote:

Other than the fact that he has to tighten every little set screw with 150 ft/lbs of torque (cuz that's what mechanics do)

A mechanic once told me, we tighten stuff until you can't tighten it anymore, then we put a pipe on the wrench and go a half turn more just to make sure.

I have been going to school for 4 years now for Manufacturing Engineering with machining emphasis. I have been working for a company for 6 months now part time while finishing up my degree, and I have learned more about machining and programming in that time than i have in 4 years of school. I have been doing alot of mastercam stuff at work and now that I have the class they offer, I am really flying through it and with my school switching to X, i find myself helping the teacher more than he helps me.

o i will, a very wise man told me on time if you just sit back and watch the world go round nothing happens, but if you make the world go round every thing happens, well i just cant sit on the side lines anymore. so thanks for all the imput...

NEWBEE,

Everyone here has great advice. Take all that has been said into consideration. One thing before you move whatever machine into the garage just yet. Make sure you have the correct power supply, surge protection and grounding for any piece of CNC equipment. Also you will likely need a commercial grade air compressor and tank. Just make sure you have everything you need to get started. It would be discouraging for you to get all the book training or "second shift" part time experience and purchase a machine only to find your home setup isn't going to allow you to start making parts right away. Check the zoning laws for your residence as well. Little things like that can really put a damper on someone's dreams. I wish you the best of luck in this rewarding field. Don't ever stop asking questions. We're here to help. This is a great resource. Use it wisely. Good luck. cheers.gif