Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

frustration

GS

I opened a file this morning, changed wcs and the file crashed. All in 3 sec, a 17 mb file becomes 200 kb, empty. No time for backup, 2 days of work lost.

Mastercam is a total different piece of software when using wcs, very unstable especially on large files.

Any advice?

I employ a number of different backup strategies here.

Every night, all .MCX files are backed up to 3 other computers. That alone would've saved you.

Other than that, I use autosave to a separate folder every 10 mins. Also every 10 minutes an incremental copy is made to a 3rd folder. We keep 20 old versions so if there is ever need to go back several hours or as far back as yesterday, there is not a problem.

This has saved me many many hours of aggravation.

quote:

I don't know why the file would get overwritten if you weren't saving at the time.

Hey Pete, Do you guys know why this happens when we ARE saving ? Is it better in MR2 ?

Pete,

I have had this happen a couple times myself. I was doing a lot of Translating, Mirroring, Merging, etc., to do some checking for a Tool Maker. When I was done I just opened the same file again with out saving the changes. Mastercam crashed while opening and the file was empty (zero bytes). Lucky for me I have multiple redundant backups.

I've started autosaving to a file that is called backup.mcx in a different folder. It autosaves every half hour. that works pretty good for me "most" of the time.

Sorry to hear about your loss. that really leaves a lump in the gut.

I also started using norton GoBack that would take you back to a point where you can get the old file again.

the one thing that seems to be part of the crashing problem for me, is associated toolpath.

maybe this is common knowledge, but moving geometry or wcs or anything related to the toolpath seems to bring on crashes.

i save to a different name just before i make any toolpath related change and if possible, i delete any toolpath that is tied in before i change something.

just my 2 cents.

Do any of you guys have Windows System Restore

running?. I beleive that is causing a lot of trouble for some people.

One of our programmers here has a X-MR1 file

of a very large helicopter structure.

He's done a left and right hand part, all the

fixture design and machining plus tool books and setup sheet drafting all in one file.

He's probably got a half dozen different WCS's

and just as many different machine groups.

The file is over 80meg and is running on a 4 year

old Win2K box.

He's never had a crash with this file.

I perosnally just do no use WCS for anything other that 3 axis work and sinple work at that. Anything Complex, multi-axis I would rather use my C-planes and such. I konw how to use it and if did not crash on me in the past and cost some many posting issues in the past I might feel different but burn me once, shame on me, burn me twice, etc etc.

Good luck, but guess I am just to set on not having crashes and doing something I know works.

I had crashes like the ones described above early on, mr1, in backplot. Same result, a zero byte file, there was no possibility of saving, because of the crash. This particular problem has not re-occured since mr2, but perhaps CNC should see if there is a similar bug at the root of the problem.

thanks Peter

I just had it happen about 10 minutes ago in X-MR1. All I did was move a couple lines and points in a file and tried to save it.

Didn't catch what it said at the bottom of the screen before I got the gray your screwed box. When I went back into it it was zero bytes. LUckily had a backup copy. (about 30 now) I am becoming very wary of x and it's female like mind!!!!

thanks gc

2 times this week MCX has locked when trying to verify--seems to happen every 4-5th time I use verify. The yellow tool ribbon appears on the top with no icons or buttons and all the buttons in the verify dialogue box are grayed out and windows hangs. When I bring up taskmanager it shows that Mastercam is running but no CPU usage...and then taskmanger hangs--the only escape is to reboot. When I reopen the Mastercam file have lost all Operation manager data--even though I have been saving after each operation created. Any thoughts? This only happens occasionally and apparently at random--however, every time this has happened I have been using at least 1 Surface High Speed toolpath...