Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hand Tap Recommendations

robk

I need to tap a few 1 1/8"-7 blind holes in 420ss. Anybody have any recommendations for manufacturers of hand taps that size?

It's been a long time since I hand tapped anything, yet alone that big. As a matter of fact this will be the biggest hand tap I have ever used.

Robk,

Why use a hand tap? Can you use a spiral fluted tap that will evacuate the chip out of the hole? That would help since hand tapping these sizes a not a small job. Wouldn't want to be the person doing it.

Just my 2 cents,

We do alot of bigger stuff like that and TAP MAGIC makes all the differance on thread quality on bigger taps. If you have a strong machine make a driver for your tap and drive it that way. Beats a big handle or cresent wrench.

If it's something that you can't get in a machine, mag drill presses are great for tapping big holes. They have reverse and pretty good torque. You'll have to clamp a steel plate to the stainless material though for the magnet to grab. I've snapped a 7/8" tap with a Miwaukie mag press in 304l stainless. Switched to a tin-coated spiral flute tap and ran a few dozen holes no problem from there. I don't really like running sprial fluter's by hand though, (meaning in a tap handle). They are pretty unforgiving.

hth

robk,

Why not use the Thread Mill cycle with a single point boring tool? Mcam X MR1 included roughing passes for Thread Milling. Large diameter threads are usually much easier with the thread mill op. Then you wouldn't have to look into buying a specific size tap and hand working it. HTH cheers.gif

Thanks guys... I ended up ordering a tep from Greenfield. My catalog wasn't up to date.

Anyway thanks for the different suggestions. Can't thread mill because part will not fit on machine.

It will fit in our radial drill, but it will most likely be cheaper to use a tap wrench instead of getting a tap holder. Thanks again.