Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Sunset Program

Steve Zirtzman

I just received the July edition of Mastercam Notes Customer Newsletter, and was reading about the new Sunset Program for older Mastercam versions. You guys running version 9 better start learning X now, you will be in the "Twilight Zone" (not supported) with the release of X3. With the release of X2, there will be no support, no media replacement, and no updates available for version 6 or older.

Does the Forum have to follow this chart?

I saw that yesterday, then end is near for V6 and with the release of X2, I believe V7.

"this is the end, my only friend the end"

wink.gif

quote:

Does the Forum have to follow this chart?

I would think not.

The July Newsletter isn't on Mastercam.com yet.

In simple terms, support for V9 will end with the release of X3 but you will still be able to get

media replacement (repalcement install discs?)

When X4 is released, media replacement for V9 will end, but you can still upgrade V9 to X4

With the release of X5, V9's will be a dead release, not supported and not updateable.

At the current release rate that should be sometime in the next 4-5 years.

V6 will sunset with the release of X2

V7 with X3 and V8 with X4.

If there are any diehards out there still running V6 they should be thinking about upgrading this year.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

If they are still running 6, they're probably NEVER going to update. Look at how many people are still using SmartCAM V11, that's 10+ year old software. eek.gif

quote:

With the release of X5, V9's will be a dead release, not supported and not updateable.

At the current release rate that should be sometime in the next 4-5 years.

Are you kidding about the 4-5 years?????

I suppose I will need to start demoing software and talking to my MCAM VAR.

quote:

Are you kidding about the 4-5 years?????

Cam

I believe the goal is a new release every year

which makes V9 unsupported and unupdateable

in 4 to 5 years. I suspect a new release every 14-18 months is a more realistic timeframe.

Your only real danger is popping a HASP. If V9 style HASP3's are no longer available in 2012 Mastercam couldn't help you even if they wanted too. Your Mastercam investment would die with the HASP. It is not reasonable to expect Mastercam to rewrite a 6 year old release to support whatever HASP scheme is available in 2012.

If you are realy detirmed to never upgrade Mastercam again, it might be worthwhile to migrate to a nethasp. They are not dependent on hardware that may not be available to 5 to 10 years, but you'd still have to keep a computer running WinXp going indefinetly.

At some point runnng old software becomes umanagable. I know a guy who uses a mid90's version of Surfcam running on an Apple.

He's got a whole closet full of dead Apples he's collected for parts and checks the PennySaver weekly looking for more. When the last Apple dies he's going to be in trouble.

Some old dogs would rather die than learn new tricks. tongue.gif

I don't think that applies in your case. It will be interesting to see what you wind up running when you decide to leave V9 behind.

True, but you can still contact CNC and your reseller with problems in the software.

Unsupported means that, unsupported, not unupdated.

Is unupdated a word?

headscratch.gif

quote:

Has V9 had ANY updates since MR0105?

I don't think that's what they are talking about.

Maybe upgradedable would have been a better word.

V6 will sunset when X2 is released.

If you decide you want to upgrade to X3, you will get no credit for owning V6. You will be buying X3 at the same price a newcomer to Mastercam would pay.

That's my interpretation of 'Sunset"

Am I wrong???

Maybe it just means existing upgrades will no longer be available for download????

I know of a place using Image software, I dont know the ver. the sad thing is they have MC9.1 mill and dont use it at all. It is sad, I used to work for them. Now I have my own shop and use MCX and I dont have any problems getting good code, it is a nightmare working for them. It takes them forever to make program changes and then it is very poor code. Has anyone ever used Image before? I never heard of it till that place.

Early this year my reseller sent a letter about future releases to all its customers so I'm not revealing beta secrets here.

They said the goal was 1 new version and a minimum of 2 MR's per year.

Personally, I think that was the bean counters talking and not the folks actually writing the software. It seems a bit ambitious to me.

The letter accurately predicted the release date of MR2 said X2 would be out before the end of 06.