Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Computer system configuration

charleschia

I have a pentium 4 3.2 dual core with a quadro 1400 128mb at work, this runs the cpu usage at 50%, and I have a amd 3800x2 with a nvidea 6800 256mb at home, this runs the cpu usage at 100% in the task manager. This may be the video card (both pci express) cauing the increased performance. but the amd seems to bogg down when running multiple applications. both have 1 gig ram. I would have to reccomend going with intel. and yes make sure you get pci express

XP pro on both, tried xp64 on the intel but had issues with v9 on the xp64. The amd is a great processor for most of the stuff I do, and maybe it is the way the systems are configured, the intel is a dell, and the amd is one I had put together on a asus mobo

IT just gave us new computers that are supposed to be "certified" for CATIA V5, even though we rarely use it. They are Dell Precision 380 workstations with Nvidia Quadro FX 4500 512Mb video cards, 4 Gig of memory, Pentium Extreme dual core processors (I really don't know what that means, I'm not that knowledgable about computer hardware anymore. Here's what the system information summary says about the processor: Processor EM64T Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 2 GenuineIntel ~3458 Mhz). Anyway, seems to work so far.

quote:

If you are using daul core processing, V9 will only occupy one core inesence 50% of processing capabilities.

That is what I was thinking because my pc at home is a dual core but it appears to only be setup as a single core processor. the task manager only shows 1 processor. I may have to get this setup, but it seems to work fine for what I use it for

Bulletman,

Unfortunately, I have no say so in the matter. We didn't know we were getting thses computers until they showed up to change them out. Our main IT person is in the company headquarters in another state. These are a vast improvement over what we had though.

Hi all...

Thanks for the replys and advise.

I just built the PC yesterday

The system as below

Intel 940 Pentium 3.2GHZ Dual core L2 (2MB x2)

Mobo MSI 945 Neo2-F

Ram TwinMos 2GB 553 DDR (1GBx2)

Seagate 160GB 7200 RPM Sata II

Leadtek Nvidia Quadro FX540 128MB PCI express

I just install MC9 SP1 and tried to open a parasolid file (file size abt 22MB). When i tried to shade the solid, the screen appeared a HD pic which shown the program memory has reached bottleneck (if i'm not wrong...). Can someone advise cos when i tried to open this file on my existing system i'm using which is lower in configuration in term of graphic card and ram, did not have that HD icon........

[i'm in the midst of transferring my data hence unable to update all my programs]

Thanks in advance.

quote:

have a pentium 4 3.2 dual core with a quadro 1400 128mb at work, this runs the cpu usage at 50%, and I have a amd 3800x2 with a nvidea 6800 256mb at home, this runs the cpu usage at 100%

One machine has hyperthreading enabled and shows 50% CPU useage. The other has hyperthreading turned off and shows 100% useage.

Running a P4 3.2g EE proccessor, I have not been able to dectect any performace difference with or wothout hyperthreading.

quote:

One machine has hyperthreading enabled and shows 50% CPU useage. The other has hyperthreading turned off and shows 100% useage.

Missleading...One Processor is a Dual Core (2 seperate CPU's on the same die) and the other most likely is a single core with hyperthreading disabled (single CPU)