Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What is the DIS_ADVANTAGES of MR2 ?

Jimic

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...And leave V9 installed...

I use V9 for one reason and 1 reason only, there are a few times when I have to create a Coons Surface because I can't get Net Surface to go. NOT Mcam's fault, it is my lack of acumen in using that particular feature.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...CoonsSurf C-Hook in X...

eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

To be honest with you I never saw it, or forgot about it. DOH I feel like an idiot now... biggrin.gif

What's a little ignorance among friends??? biggrin.giftongue.gif

OK I will come to jimic's defense here.

Proe Wildfire III....go ahead and just jump right into that release and you will be very sorry.

From a shop owner's prospective, I want to know all the downside of any time I upgrde or patch a piece of software I have running in my shop.

When you have to eat 20k because of a bug in a software, or loose a customer because you were late on a job that you would have got out the door if you hadn't run the patch or whatever, you get a little gun shy.

Sometimes, unforseeable things happen and it's no ones fault really, but the end resutls of it all stick around for quite sometime and influence the way you look at things.

Sadly im at a disadvantage here with X .. i have received no formal training with Mastercam at all (employers too cheap to send anybody) and have been at it since V6...with each release i have been "oh cool look what this can do!" and "Wow now i can do this!" but with this latest release and transition from V9 to X has been "What the hell does this do?" and "Whoa...oh no...now what have I done?"

If your Boss is standing over your shoulder right now ...please place the curser over this statement and highlight it so that it stands out for him to see ..print it if need be

(!!!!SEND YOUR EMPLOYEE FOR PROPER TRAINING!!!!)

it will save you both any possible heartaches and frustration in the future....

I see so many potential things with Xmr2 and I am trying exceptionally hard to make it work in more ways than i can think of but hindered by some of the most basic things that i need to learn with this software and it is detrimental to the learning curve

With the latest problems that i have been having with a particular part that one of engineers insist that we do inhouse is going to the applications engineers at Mastercam to program and prove out on our machine...My other boss whom is the general manager and owner is understanding enough to see what my problem is and has offered to pay Mastercam to prove that their software can do this particular job on our machine and will send not just me but 5 other ppl for training if they do it ( we have 3 seats here and sharing with the night shift )

A challenging task but im sure the applications

ppl are up to it ...just waiting for their reply as i sent the email out this afternoon

I wont quote Murlin because i have been on the throne in a few shops and I have learned that the "proof is in the pudding" and Mastercam has done just that over the many years i have used it...Im not about to throw my hands up in the air and go screaming into the night yet...so we will see ...good luck Jimic

For us, it has been a pretty good transition. We have 10 moldmakers on days and 2 on nights. The transition for everyone was not as bad as I thought it would be. For myself, I just watched the videos that come with the installation and off I went. After just two weeks I did not go back to ver.9 at all. After that I had all of our moldmakers watch the videos and had them work on X for atleast one hour a day for a week and then two hours the next week. That was all it took for everyone to pickup on X. Most every one was just using X by the end of the first week.

We all agree that X is alot better then any previous version of Mastercam. The "live" entities, backplotting, HS toolpaths and many more enhancements really put X several steps above 9.

The bottom line is just watch the videos and USE it! You can save several thousand dollars just by spending a couple weeks using X. (Oh, I can hear the resellers yell'n at me now!) There are 12 people here that learned without training and anyone else can do it too.

Another tool that will help you is right here on the forum. There have been some really good and helpful disscusions on the uses and funtions of X. And, ITS FREE. You get to talk to people who us it every day in just about any situation possible. Just by browsing the forum you will find very valuble information.

The main thing to realize is that Mastercam is going to continue to change and improve. Some changes are going to be bigger than others and if you don't keep up with the latest and greatest your learning curve becomes a very steep climb. You just have to trust that these changes are either going to make things easier/better/faster for you or, the changes are leading to future enhancements that are going to make things easier/better/faster.

Just our experience and my own opinion.

quote:

but I have trouble convincing my boss for work time to set up my tooling and machine settings. Is this normal?

I just sent one of my guys to MCX school.

We're a tiny little shop and we both do the programming, It IS tough finding the time to set up the software. But we just have to get it done. Saves countless little keystrokes and mouse clicks.

Not to mention editing code....

Just take the time and get it done

tpreb6 (sorry to go O/T on you desmoton)

Do you have videos on the installation CD or in the help directory? God now i have put my foot in mouth...I have had no knowledge of videos that came with Xmr2..Hell my puter doesnt even have a sound card on it Dam IT guy!!!...calm down jack ...violence wont help ...would be fun but wont help...easy jack banghead.gif

There was a complete 2nd disc Jack, that was, I believe, only videos.

It was not a necessary part of the install but was available to install for those who wanted to see them. I would think your reseller could get you set up with that second disc.