Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Pop quiz for bala_51083

The Iron Chef

OK mr. hot shot from the sub-continent.

Now that your mommy has paid for you education at some crappy school like Wayne State you need to prove your worth in a real machine shop by answering some basic machine-shop questions. Please remember that your answers will be judged by honest, hardworking, creative, and the most exacting people that you will ever meet. The honest members of this forum.

so put up or shut up.

[*]How many cranks of a bridgeport handle will give you 8.125 inches

[*]what is the difference between a spiral point tap and a spiral flute tap? extra credit: When do you use each?

[*]what is a Volstro head?

[*]what is the difference in diameter between a #4 machine screw and a # 10 machine screw?

[*]Why are Ducati's cool?

[*]are you in the same league as Randle XX and Sausage?

[*]Googleing answers will loose points

These questions are really easy for a machine shop guy so we all have the utmost confidance in you.

Remember to consider your answers carefully as most of us have forgotten more than you'll ever know.

Are you up for the challenge?

-Keith

I got some easy ones for you. What angle do you set your compund at for cutting right handed threads? At what angle do you set your compound at for cutting left hand threads? Can you use the same tool for cutting right hand threads and left hand threads? What does a full profile insert mean? Can you cut a 13 thread with a 20 insert? Can you cut it with a 10 insert? What are the advantages and disavantages of using a full profile insert? If you are cutting a right hand thread with a threadmill do you start at the top or bottom of the hole? If you stat at the top what type of cutting is that called? If you start at the bottom what type of cutting is that called?

Very very basic question when cutting on a CNC mill do you want to conventional cut or climb cut? Does the same rule apply to a knee mill? What is a knee mill?(hint is not for machining your body parts)

Instead of asking Bala to prove himself, let's list what we can reasonably assume about him and let him prove us wrong.

Bala,

I'm guessing you have an illegal copy of Mastercam or work with someone who does. If that is true, then you are a Thief and you bring Shame on your name, Shame on your friends, and Shame on your ancestors.

The only other valid reason would be if you are learning it in school. If that is the case, then just tell use the name of the school and class you are taking.

If I'm wrong, then prove it and I will kindly apologise and offer you some assistance.

The members of this forum will bend over backwards to help legitimate customers.

I did not mean to start making fun of you until you jumped in here and asked the forum members to do something for you for free without any of us knowing you. That would be like walking into a store and expecting to be able to just take something off the shelves.

Show us all a little class and respect if you have any.

From the other thread:

quote:

the freshmens found in a standard ISO 13041 machining a test part is a way to mearure the performance of the machine tool.since am an electrical engineer i don know about any programming neither do the freshmens.so i was representing them here to get some help.

OK guys...this explains alot. Bala is apparently an electrical engineer trying to help some EE students analyze a machine. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and a pass on how he asked for help. I'm not a 'lathe guy' but I'm sure someone will step forward to help the students.

Sorry, Bala, but when unknown people come to this forum asking for 'freebies' there is always a level of suspicion. wink.gif If you really are who and what you say you are then I'm sure someone here will help you. biggrin.gif

Bala,

Let me offer you my apologies. If you had stated who you were and what you were attempting to do with your lathe program from the beginning, the response would have been much more positive.

There are lots of people out there who try and steal mastercam and then come into the forum for advice, posts, and help when they are not even legal Mastercam customers.

The way that you presented yourself initially led James and myself to believe that you were someone who was just trying to get something for free. People who do these things undermine all our hard work and take money out of our pockets.

I was not trying to make fun of your ethnicity, but I was trying to provoke you a little bit so that you would reveal some information about who you are and what your real intentions are.

I am a teacher myself. I have taught Mastercam at the college level and also in the industry for the local Washington State Mastercam reseller. Now that we know your request is a legitimate one I would be happy to offer you some assistance if I can. I am in the middle of programming some really hot jobs, but I could probably write a simple lathe program for you on one of my breaks.

The forum members are wary of people we don't know for good reasons. I hope we didn't offend you too badly.

Regards,

Colin Gilchrist

The Boeing Company

MR2 and Beta test site

quote:

i did my masters in princeton university

Mr. Bala that is great. Did you like to eat at Hoagie Haven? I do. I keep meaning to buy one of their Tee shirts.

From which school did you receive your BS in EE? Proir to your attending Princeton.

quote:

it doesnt matter where you study its how you study it matters.

Point taken. I understand the our President attended Yale!

-Keith from home