Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Is there a way to finish a wall and floor on the same pass?

DavidSV

Say I am milling a simple pocket and I want to leave .005 on the walls and the floor and then have a finish pass that cleans up the walls and floor on the same pass. Is there a was to do that in one operation? I can click depth cuts and leave .005 for a finish pass on the depth cut and I can go into Multi Passes and leave .005 on the wall for a clean up pass, but when it cuts the pass I get 3 passes, 1 roughing it all out, then 1 on the floor and then 1 on the wall. Is there a way to make it just cut 2 passes one rough and one finish on the floor and wall?

Thanks

What Davidsv is looking for (I beleive) is to make a cut, step down and over to the next cut. Mastercam wants to make a cut, step down for the next cut, stepover for the finish pass.

As much as I would like to see the toolpath take care of this, it is quite easy to do either with copying the toolpath down and editing the XY and Z stock to leave values. Or what I do is just use the toolpath editor to delete the unwanted pass. It takes all of about 10 or 15 seconds.

HTH

quote:

Say I am milling a simple pocket and I want to leave .005 on the walls and the floor and then have a finish pass that cleans up the walls and floor on the same pass. Is there a was to do that in one operation?

Yes

In the Pocket toolpath parameters,Finishing 1 pass,spacing=.005 and tick "Machine finish pass only at final depth".Deepth cuts set the Max rough to greater than your pocket overall depth and set #Finish cuts=1 finish step=.005

You can also Overide the feed and speed for machinig the finish size of the walls.

quote:

Say I am milling a simple pocket and I want to leave .005 on the walls and the floor and then have a finish pass that cleans up the walls and floor on the same pass. Is there a was to do that in one operation? I can click depth cuts and leave .005 for a finish pass on the depth cut and I can go into Multi Passes and leave .005 on the wall for a clean up pass, but when it cuts the pass I get 3 passes, 1 roughing it all out, then 1 on the floor and then 1 on the wall. Is there a way to make it just cut 2 passes one rough and one finish on the floor and wall?

You've nailed how it works. The answer is no.

I don't understand is how you could possibly do it 2 passes, if you are going to use cutter comp to control your wall size, somewhere along the way the cutter comp has to engage, that is where you finish your walls. Otherwise it seems to me you would get a pretty crappy finish if it did not cut the walls all in one contour path, at the end

quote:

wear or Control.

control, never, never, never ,never, never, never, never, I have not used it in over 15 years and never will again.

I know David, it just cannot be done the way he asked in 2, you will get 3 passes, rough, finish floor & finish walls.

Even if you break it up in 2 ops, you get 1 rough in one op and 1 finish floor and finish walls in the second op

3 passes

I agree John I never use control either always wear, but some people still do.

They way I descibed you get the rough cycle which leaves .005 on floor and .005 on walls.

Then it finishes the floor and walls in 1 go, turning on cutter comp if needed.If you have keep tool down, finish outer boundry, start finish pass at closest entity, Machine finish pass only at final depth with a lead In/Out.

How much simpler can it get?

If you want to be so speciffic about two passes only, don't use the finish pass. 1 pocket .005 stock on walls and floor. 1 pocket zero stock no finish passes in either

Yeah, this has bugged me for years too! Mostly when I'm cutting a simple contour, like step jaws. The best I've found is like others above, leaveing stock in xy and z, and then drag it down(copy it) and set stock to leave back to zero. It only takes like three seconds, which I suppose could add up to a hundred hours in like ten years or something, but it also gives you a little more control at the same time.

Different controls handle comp in corners in different ways.

I've been looking for a better way to do that for a long time. I also want to be able to have the cutter lead in, do several step downs (or ramp down), one step over, two or three skim passes, and then lead out. I usually have to use the toolpath editor to get what I want, or change the code after posting.

quote:

Why do you not use control?

Oooooolldddddddddd school, limits your tool pathing capabilities, says to any modern up to date customer that your shop is waaay behind the times and out of date. Opens up the chance of operators making just one more mistake.

In the days of "It's the Process Stupid"

It simply has no place but in small shops that don't know any better.

I know, I know,

Here we go again with another comp vs control thread. banghead.gif

If the old-schoolers would only learn a few new tricks

wink.gif