Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Question For Former SmartCAM Users

jon_banquer

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in case he's still here. The "full" graphical interface can be done by drawing the toolpath and turning comp in computer off. Put each toolpath on different levels so as to turn on and off as needed. Alot of furniture manufacturers used nc autocode and nc polaris. Both programs worked better if you drew the centerline of the toolpath and picked it.

Most of those users start out in Mastercam drawing the centerlines and using them, then progress to letting the software do the offsetting.

The disadvantage of this graphical interface is that you cannot change tools without changing geometry.

The advantage of drawing the paths are....

Not real sure unless you are an hourly employee wanting to spend more time per part.

If you want to automatically create the toolpath geo just backplot and save as geo, then repick the geo for a toolpath.

As for multiple fixtures/offsets check out transform toolpaths. You can move paths as subs around tombstones, across vises, any plane you can create using any number of work offsets and even setting G10's as you go.

Originally I saw this guy as just someone who needed help understanding the power of mastercam, but then I started reading in some of the other forums... man! All this guy does is complain about various software limitations and pitch resseller like jargon. And complain about how we all kicked is a$$ over here. Due to the amount of software he claims to have experience with, he's got to be either a reseller, or just can't hold a steady job. rolleyes.gif

quote:

Hey Keebler, you still around after the cat boxing?????

I am, the cat's not doing so good. I used him as a siren in the pinewood derby car. Grabbed it by the tail swung it in a circle above my head and everybody cleared outta my way. MMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW

MMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW

MMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW

biggrin.gif

Don't worry, he's still staggering a little, but he'll be home soon. biggrin.gif

Actually, there are a lot of problems, for lack of a better term, "hard linking" the geometry and toolpath.

It is not uncommon, particularly on simple parts, to have toolpaths that don't closely resemble the part geometry. You might do this to accomodate work holding, or to just get the most efficient toolpaths. If you think about it, it's easy to imagine these types of operations.

Actually, I really like the way Mastercam does it. The toolpaths and geometry are associative, so if the geometry changes, you can regen the program and it's done. But you can always break that link too, but just drawing in some geometry to muscle the toolpath around.

The geometry with toolpath attributes is convenient, and it sounds good. It's been many years, but as I recall, it "didn't use as good as it sounded". It created more headaches than it solved.

I experienced Point Control first as an employee, then as a VAR. I was an employee during the fast growth phase, which is fun.

I experienced as a VAR just before they started crumbling; beating the horses, jacking with dealers, and undermining their VAR's. Not fun.

Edwin was not a machinist. It would be pretty hard to find excellent computer programmers that were also machinists. Nice idea, I just think the two career tracks are so different, that there aren't a handfull of those people out there.

What made Edwin a good programmer was his natural brilliance, creativity, lack of arrogance, desire to do good work, and his ability to really listen to what you were saying and deliver what you asked. You couldn't ask for more.

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Enjoy your time here.. tomorrow you die smile.gif

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

looks like a 24hour stay of execution tongue.gif

I've been cruising alt.machines.cnc this evening

Comments Made About SmartCAM In The MasterCAM Forum

quote:

Do YOU think the company with the most installed seats of CAM software

in the world is going to listen to their 78,000+ registered product

owners, or some buzzword riddled "hard hitting criticism," from a known

internet lunatic with a documented history of clueless-ness and a

severe case of "sales blurb psychosis

Funny stuff smile.gif

A man walked into a very high-tech bar. As he sat down on a stool, he noticed that the bartender was a robot. The robot clicked to attention and asked, "Sir, what will you have?"

The man thought a moment, then replied, "A martini, please".

The robot clicked a couple of times and mixed the best martini the man had ever had. The robot then asked, "Sir, what is your IQ?"

The man answered, "Oh, about 164."

The robot then proceeded to discuss the theory of relativity, inter-stellar space travel, the latest medical breakthroughs, etc. .

The man was most impressed. He left the bar, but thought he would try different tactic. He returned and took a seat.

Again, the robot clicked and asked what he would have.

A martini, please."

Again it was superb. The robot again asked, "What is your IQ, sir?"

This time the man answered, "Oh, about 100". So the robot started discussing NASCAR racing, bass fishing and what to expect the Steelers to do this weekend.

The guy had to try it one more time. So he left, returned and took a stool

. . Again a martini, and the question "What is your IQ?"

This time the man drawled out "Uh . . . 'bout 50."

The robot clicked, then leaned close and very slowly asked,

"So whats this Fully Graphical Toolpath Editing

all about ?"

biggrin.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

ROFLMAO!!!!

Very nice g. Well done!!! cheers.gif

Guess ol' Jon will have to go back to the NG where they can't ban people.

In case any of you out there trolling wondered about this place; first and foremost THIS IS A MASTERCAM FORUM, hence the name eMastercam. It's not that we are opposed to discussion of other software, it's that Mastercam is our core focus here. It's a forum run by Mastercam users for Mastercam users. Just in case there's any doubt, we are about Mastercam here. biggrin.gif

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the thoughtful response. Much appreciated.

"Actually, there are a lot of problems, for lack of a better term, "hard linking" the geometry and toolpath."

I think I understand what you're getting at with the term "hard linking" and you may very well be correct in this aspect.

In FeatureCAM 2007, which we use, DELCAM just just added a Graphical Toolpath Editor. It does not have the power of SmartCAM for Graphical Toolpath Editing but I'm now working with my local DelCAM rep to try and get some changes made. I've known him for years and he is just awesome to work with.

When you make changes to the toolpath using FeatueCAM 2007 it does not update if you make a geometry change... hence no "hard linking".

I actually used the FeatureCAM 2007 Graphical Toolpath Editor today to edit a pocketing toolpath because the pocketing toolpath cuts much better and much faster than trying to use an island for containment.

Our shop uses several CADCAM systems and I'm thinking of adding MasterCAM. Does a user get to choose their VAR? If so, I would like to talk with you about being our VAR and about purchasing your books. You can contact me on my cell phone at 602-446-8053 if you're interested.

"The geometry with toolpath attributes is convenient, and it sounds good. It's been many years, but as I recall, it "didn't use as good as it sounded". It created more headaches than it solved."

I loved it! Others that I know who still use SmartCAM love it. Since SmartCAM is not associative I fail to see any drawbacks or headaches. Perhaps I'm missing something here in what you are trying to get at.

"I experienced Point Control first as an employee, then as a VAR. I was an employee during the fast growth phase, which is fun."

Sounds like it would have been.

"I experienced as a VAR just before they started crumbling; beating the horses, jacking with dealers, and undermining their VAR's. Not fun."

I have no doubt your correct about that. One thing is for sure with CNC Software things have been and most likely will continue to be more stable.

"Nice idea, I just think the two career tracks are so different, that there aren't a handfull of those people out there."

Would be nice though wouldn't it. wink.gif

"What made Edwin a good programmer was his natural brilliance, creativity, lack of arrogance, desire to do good work, and his ability to really listen to what you were saying and deliver what you asked. You couldn't ask for more."

Sounds like a really cool person to work with... especially if you had a good idea and wanted it implimented. wink.gif

Hope to talk with you soon,

Jon Banquer

Phoenix, Arizona

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for taking the time. I appreciate it.

"As for multiple fixtures/offsets check out transform toolpaths."

Pretty much all CADCAM programs have a transform toolpath feature. While the transform function is nice, it's not anywhere near as powerful as being able to use geometry grouping, editing and creation tools on your toolpath. As has already been pointed out grouping and regrouping the toolpath elements is one aspect (a major one) which gives SmartCAM so much power over the toolpath.

As I mentioned to Charles Davis we use multiple CADCAM systems here. I just recently upgraded to FeatureCAM 2007 from an older version and I also added the lathe module. One of the biggest improvements in FeatureCAM 2007 is a Graphical Toolpath Editor but it does not yet have the ability to group and ungroup elements. I have asked for this to be added to FeatureCAM because I feel it is so important.(FeatureCAM does not use the term elements like SmartCAM does, they use the term curves.)

Jon Banquer

Phoenix, Arizona

Ok, what the heck... tell me why are tranform toolpaths not that great if they perform exactly what you are asking for? Whens the last time you tried using them in Mcam to acomplish this?

You have still failed to show me why GTE is such a Godsend, if the results you are looking for can be acheived just as well and faster in Mcam.

How many parts have you come across that you just flat out could not program in Mcam, and had to do in SmartCam?