Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5ax machine suggestions

We mainly run impellers and cylinder heads. Our one impeller requires that we refixture the part to reach all of the areas under the twisting blades. The part has blades that wrap around from the top to bottom. That's not that big of a deal, but there is also on outer ring that is attached to the blades as they reach the OD of the part. Sort of like some bathroom or RV vent fans. This prevents running a the tool all the way around the part along the blades and makes for some interesting positioning to get under the blades and between the outer ring and main section of the part. There is only .350 inch between outer ring and main section where the blades pass through.

Our current machine is limited to 50 degrees either side of vertical. We have to refixture because in order to reach "under" some of the blades the A-axis angle is so great that the opposite side of the part wants to hit the Y-axis beam.

I hope that makes sense. Basically more travel in the spindle rotation would be nice. But that doesn't solve the part rotating up to hit the Y-axis beam.

Our machines has an A-axis setup rotating along the X-axis.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The Matsuura MAM machines are great. Great machine, Fanuc Control... none of that crazy stuff that Heidenhein(sp?), xxxxor, Seimens etc... is trying to ram down our throats. Ask your reseller what he'd rather write a post for also. My money is on Fanuc.

quote:

The Matsuura MAM machines are great. Great machine, Fanuc Control...

you can get them with a 840Di...I honestly prefer that control over the fanuc. fanuc does so many wierd things with stuff like their data-server, tool life (matsuura wrote their own software to get around using fanuc's)...their high speed options are good, but the 840 w/ COMPCAD is better. Still...I am getting used to the fanuc.

quote:

COMPCAD???

from one of the guys at methods...

quote:

COMPCAD actually converts the standard linear blocks of your program into a Nurbs or spline type program internally on the fly, this allows the control to COMPress up to 50 linear blocks of code into 1 (spline) block of code

This means that this control may only have to process 1 block while the other guys control has to process up to 50 blocks to do the same thing

This also means the 500 block look ahead is really allot more than 500 blocks

The results are shorter cycle time, smoother motion and a better looking part, this also cuts down the number of points needed in your part program witch allows you to open up your cam tolerance a bit

The other way cool option especially for 5 axis work on the 840Di's is TRAORI

quote:

Another alternative to 5-axis machining is called RTCP or TRAORI function. In this mode, instead of feeding the controller direct XYZ ABC machine coordinates, you instead feed it cutter location coordinates that are always relative to the part. The controller will make the necessary calculation on the fly to account for the effects of the part rotation. This has three important advantages. First, since the G-code coordinates are always with reference to the part coordinate system programs using TRAORI are independent of machine kinematics and the machine zero. This means that if you change the location of the part on the machine you do not need to repost it. You can also use the same program on a machine with completely different kinematics since the controller will make the necessary calculations to adjust for this. Second, automatically adjust the axis feeds to make sure that the feedrate of the tool relative to the part is constant. Thus, no need for Inverse time feed or feedrate smoothing. Third, the controller will modify the axis motions so that the tool follows a straight line relative to the part to avoid collisions.

We are going with Haas

We bought Haas VM3 with trunion 210 half of year ago and are buying now 2 VF3tr with high column and trunion160

Sure this is not high end product but for general machining they worth every $

It is cheaper than Mory-seiky of the same class NV5000 .

It is simple machine .

It will hold on for 5 years ,I hope .

It gives great profit .

May be in future we`ll buy some better machines .but haas is not bad at all

Trunion standart move A axes +-120 degrees and can be greater through parameter change

i work wiht dmu60P, huron k2x10five and mikron ucp600vario

For me the best solution for mecanic is DMUxxP because you have the posibility to work on 270 degre around the part.

You can make a sphére if you want

Mikron have a very good integration

all command are Heidenhain TNC and are very easy to use

I'm with Iskander. We have a Haas VF3 with a trunion (compound rotary axis a and B) that is 3+ years old, been cutting 4140 @ RC42 approx as the primary part and we liked it so much that we just took delivery of 2 additional identical machines two weeks ago and everyone is happy (even mama).