Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

can MC communicate with a tape punch

HEAVY METAL

Sure it can!

If you're talking about a Tape Punch with a Serial Interface.

It can certainly be "fun" trying to figure what the Tape Punch <=> MC setting need to be. banghead.gif

But "BTR" sounds like a good plan.

I'd be curious as to how many of you out there have have ever used punched tape.

In the old days (Am I dating myself here?) I programmed at a place that had over 5500 tapes (in those little blue canisters) on file. eek.gif

quote:

I'd be curious as to how many of you out there have have ever used punched tape.

oh, oh, I have I have wink.gif

Programmed on a Flexowriter, ran mills and lathes off of paper tapes.

The old mechanical finger readers and the later technology optical scans

The N81 stands for No parity, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, and yes I used Cimco edit.

There was some labeled dip swithches undere a clear cover on top of the unit. One was for DC codes the other just said slow and fast I used the fast for 9600 baud.

Allan

"I can still read EIA and ASCII tapes..."

Craig,

I also used to "read the tape", but I've purged (lost?) that capability.

I probably re-tasked those brain cells to remember items that are more useful today - like where I left my keys. biggrin.gif

"...keep getting a error light on the tape punch machine."

Heavy,

But does it try to punch any tape?

What brand/model Tape Punch are we taking about here?

quote:

In the old days (Am I dating myself here?) I programmed at a place that had over 5500 tapes (in those little blue canisters) on file.

I remember those little blue canisters myself. biggrin.gif (1985)

I used to like when a chip would get stuck in one of the little holes and rip the tape. I recall having to tape them in a loop because the machine had no memory(Matsuura) frown.gif

quote:

The first NC Tape machine I had the plesure of running was a Bridgeport 3 Axis with a MOOG control back in 1979 when I started in the Machine Shop. Used air pressure sensors I think. It would blow air thru the holes in the mylar tape. Very loud hydraulic pump. Big mechanical dials for setting offsets. Occasionally it would throw a tool at you while tool changing. I Googled and can't find a picture of it. Never saw another one until 1985 when my Brother opened his shop. That was his first NC machine. Anyone else ever run one of those beasts? smile.gif