Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark

Roger Peterson

Well, the 2D programmer guy next to me just got a new 'puter, an HP xw4600 Workstation. They asked my advice on what video card to get him, so I had them get a 9800 GT (~$130) and then swapped it for my 8800 GT (~$230 a few months ago.) I'ma itchin' fer me new hardware...

I got a couple Nvidia demos off their website, the one of the head render is pretty sweet. Photo-realistic skin + lighting in real time. Five or ten more years and they won't need actors.

In one of the Cadalyst articles it mentioned that computer graphics cards have gotten so good that they can now simulate the way clothes look in most environments, textures, and lighting.

It doesn't look too good for those high maintenance models anymore. Soon everything will be computer generated and automated. Take a look at the HAAS Automation Milling and Turning Cells. One Robot replaces 2 to 4 Operators.

LOL, now that makes more openings for Programmers, I hope. biggrin.gif

quote:

I don't think Matt has any overclocking experience but even so he should be able to reach 3.2/3.4GB almost on auto for 4:20/4:40 minute bench.

Okay, I've got it built. I'm still running on the old HDD with XP Pro 64 but everything else is new as in my last posted list, with the 9800 GT.

The mobo came with automatic OC software that seems to work well, it gives you buttons for stock speed + 3 OC settings.

First test at stock speed:

3.0 GHz

01:41.192 #1

00:49.091 #2

02:14.139 #3

04:44.422 Total

2nd test at OC 1

3.6 GHz

01:14.848 #1

00:41.865 #2

01:49.663 #3

03:48.391 Total

3rd test at OC 2

3.87 GHz

01:11.549 #1

00:39.301 #2

01:42.367 #3

03:33.217 Total

Lets see if she'll take OC 3...

Does anybody hava experience with a Dell T5400

as sugested by dell?

I would like to get a T5400 with

Quad core Xeon E5405 (2Ghz)

nvidea quadro FX1700

4mb ram.

the processer is slower as the one suggested by dell, (and 1000$ less) with all the other specs the same.

any opinions would be appreceated

I'd turned it down to OC #2 (3.87GHz) just to be on the safe side (I don't need to be breaking records ALL the time...) and installed my new 10,000RPM Veliciraptor HDD. For some reason when I did it killed my old HDD, so I'm stuck with fresh installs of everything on the new drive. I put the Vista Ultimate 64 on it, and once I got it up and running I decided to give it a bench:

1:12.439 #1

0:37.083 #2

1:15.155 #3

3:4.677 Total

I want to bring up a subject not seen here before. Matt is getting great times from a machine that's very similar to mine. His OC1 is 3.6Ghz & 3:48 where my 3.8Ghz runs 4:00. I can't even reach 4Ghz but why?

As time marches on CPU makers tweak thier designs to run faster or cooler and this is called stepping. My 6 month old X3350 has an early stepping and Matt just bought his so he has a later stepping. I would have to buy a CPU with the same or later stepping to catch up. This is just one more reason the results one person gets may be quite different from another with seemingly identical hardware. BTW, nice result Matt!

quote:

The new i7's don't have a front side bus so overclocking is difficult if not limited to the $1,400 965 unit.

Your comments on the links below, please:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel...aspx?i=3453&p=5

"The overclocking story with Core i7 isn't as complex as it sounded at first, fundamentally you can still clock this thing the way you did the Core 2s before it. Turbo mode and the TDP/current limitations do add some complexities, but with the flip of a BIOS switch they go away if you don't wish to bother with them. Change can be scary, but in this case there's no reason to be worried.

The Core i7 appears to be just as smooth of an overclocker as the Core 2s before it. Increase the BCLK and off you go, free performance from Intel and its wonderful fabs.

The split between the core and the uncore in terms of clock speed and overclocking potential doesn't appear to be that big of a deal either. The uncore runs slower on the lower end chips, but increasing its clock speed doesn't really do all that much for performance. There's a reason Intel kept the uncore running slower than the core and it doesn't look like there's much real world benefit in pushing it much higher."

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html...W50aHVzaWFzdA==

[ 11-17-2008, 05:18 PM: Message edited by: NeilJ ]

quote:

His OC1 is 3.6Ghz & 3:48 where my 3.8Ghz runs 4:00.

A couple other things to take into consideration would be the RAM and mobo. I'm not sure what you've got for RAM, but I loaded up with 8GB of DDR2 1066. Probably making more of a difference is the motherboard I got which is newer as well, and I'm sure has a newer chipset for both northbridge and southbridge. It's also got big aluminum heatsinks and heatpipes on the chips.

I have 8GB of DDR2 1066, your CPU has a 9X multiplier & mine is only 8X. That gives you some options I don't have. I didn't see what motherboard you have but the only X48 board released after the Rampage Formula was the Rampage Extreme at least in the Asus brand so I doubt the chipset is different and it has factory copper heatsinks all over it. If its a P45 board you may have a good point. Some P45's are exceptional for overclocking.

I can't wait to see how the Nehalem systems do. We will be getting new PC's here at work soon and I spec them out so buy that new hardware guys, I need to make an informed recomendation.

Can someone explain to me why when I add an additional 2GB of Kingston PC-6400 memory (identical to the 2GB I already have) that CPU-Z only recognizes it as PC-5300? My 2 original memory sticks are running 400mhz (Slots 1 and 3) where the 2 new ones are running at only 333mhz (slots 2 and 4). Will this be a performance issue?

Are you sure they are identical? In CPU-Z go to SPD tab and there is a dorp down box for each installed stick. As you cycle through them only the serial number should change. If it turns out that they show as identical then it's the motherboard. It's harder to manage 4 sticks than 2 and some boards will slow the RAM down to easily handle 4. This is another reason 2 sticks of 2GB RAM is faster than 4 sticks of 1GB RAM.

I think you'll find that PC6400 and PC5300 are both 667Mhz RAM.