Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark

Roger Peterson

Good job Matt. Here I was thinking I still had the lead. I knew you passed me in X3. Guess I never saw your post from MU1. I couldn't have done anything about it anyway.

Until now. Just got a new board. The one I've recomended to several people on this forum. The one Matt has. I've seen this board run a quad core at 4.4Ghz. I might have something interesting to post on this thread in the next few days!

The i7 boards have been out a couple of months now. It doesn't look like any of them are yet able to challenge a C2Q board. That would be disappointing considering their cost banghead.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts on this configuration ? I have a big project coming up and I am trying to figure out what I can get away with.

quote:

*BASE_PRICE: [+1299]

CAS: Thermaltake M9 VI1000BWS Mid-Tower 420W Case w/ Side-panel Window [+24]

CASUPGRADE: NONE

CS_FAN: Default case fans

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-965 Extreme Edition 3.2 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366 [+790]

CD: (Special Price) LG 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)

CD2: NONE

CABLE: None

FLASHMEDIA: None

FAN: Intel LGA1366 Certified CPU Fan & Heatsink

FREEBIE_RM: None

FLOPPY: NONE

FREEBIE_OS: None

HDD: Single Hard Drive (128 GB Ritek RiDATA 2.5 inch SATA Gaming MLC Solid State Disk (Nearly Instant Data Access Technology) [+310])

HDD2: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM Hard Drive [+59]

IEEE_CARD: NONE

KEYBOARD: Logitech Deluxe 250 USB Keyboard (Black Color)

MOUSE: XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse

MODEM: NONE

MONITOR: NONE

MONITOR2: NONE

MOTHERBOARD: (3-Way SLI Support) GigaByte GA-EX58-UD4P Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Ultra Durable™3 Mainboard Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA,Dual GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394a,&7.1Audio [+6]

MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1800MHz Triple Channel Memory Module [+264] (Corsair or Major Brand)

NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD

OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate w/ Service Pack 1 [+105] (32-bit Edition)

PRO_WIRING: None

PRINTER: None

PRINTER_CABLE: None

POWERSUPPLY: 700 Watts Power Supplies [+86] (Thermaltake Toughpower 700W Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready)

RUSH: *SAME DAY SHIP OUT GUARANTEE*

SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

SPEAKERS: NONE

TEMP: NONE

TVRC: None

USB: Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

USBHD: NONE

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX280 1GB 16X PCI Express [+280] (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA [+5])

VIDEO2: NONE

VIDEO3: NONE

VIDEOCAMERA: NONE

WNC: NONE

_PRICE: (+3228)

_view_: detail

Should do fine. You list a 420W PSU early on which is a little light, and a 700W toward the end which is about right. One thing that's still up in the air is if the new i7 CPU's are better for MC than a Core 2 Quad with 12 Mb L2 cache. We've found the cache size makes a BIG difference to MC. L1 is the fastest and closest to the CPU followed by L2 then L3. Your i7 has 8Mb of L3 and I think it's 256Kb at L2. Bottom line is the i7 CPU has been out for 3 months now but none has yet to pass the C2Quad benchmark leaders. Maybe it can't in Mastercam, just isn't known yet.

This is kind of a crapshoot. You have Core 2 Quad with 12Mb of L2 cache (no L3 cache) and i7 with 256Kb L2 cache and 8Mb L3 cache it may never compete with the C2Q in X3 benchmark speed. But if X4 or X5 are capable of using more than 4 cores at once the i7 may have an advantage. It has Hyperthreading which makes it behave as if there are 8 cores.

In X3 only one core is working but in task manager under the performance tab, in the CPU usage all cores appear that they are being used when in reality it's the cache that is shared showing up on the graph. On a quad core typically one core shows very high use, 2 show medium use and one low use. The high use is the tool path, medium is shared cache and low is video card use. If you move the part you will see the low use cpu get real high use.

On order now...

quote:

CAS: CoolerMaster Centurion 590 RC-590 Mid-Tower

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-965 Extreme Edition 3.2 GHz 8M L3 Cache LGA1366 [+796]

CD: (Special Price) LG 20X DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW DRIVE DUAL LAYER (BLACK COLOR)

CABLE: Round Cable Upgrade for Optical Drive [+19]

FAN: Asetek Liquid CPU Cooling System (Extreme Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) [+54]

HDD: Extreme Performance (RAID-0) with 2 Identical Hard Drives [+29] (300GB (150GBx2) Gaming Western Digital VelociRaptor 10,000RPM SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache WD1500HLFS [+302])

MOTHERBOARD: Asus P6T Deluxe Intel X58 Chipset SLI/CrossFireX Mainboard SAS Triple-Channel DDR3/1600 SATA RAID w/ eSATA,Dual GbLAN,USB2.0,IEEE1394a,&7.1Audio [+80]

MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1800MHz Triple Channel Memory Module [+264] (Corsair or Major Brand)

NETWORK: ONBOARD 10/100 NETWORK CARD

OS: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate w/ Service Pack 1 [+105] (64-bit Edition)

PRO_WIRING: Professional Wiring for All WIRINGs Inside The System Chasis with High Performance Thermal Compound on CPU [+19]

POWERSUPPLY: 750 Watts Power Supplies [+39] (Corsair CMPSU-750TX - Quad SLI Ready [+90])

RUSH: *SAME DAY SHIP OUT GUARANTEE*

SERVICE: STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

TEMP: Xion XON-MTR002B Color LCD Thermal Control Panel Display [+39]

VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX295 X2 1.7GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+419] (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA [+5])

_PRICE: (+3325) -5% discount + shipping = $3250 delivered

I can't wait to benchmark this. firebounce.gif

My current unit runs 10 minute benchmark file...

Hi Thor,

www.cyberpowerpc.com

They get mixed reviews but the price is always competitive and the configuration options on the website are seemingly endless.

I hooked up my Mom & sister with their systems. Mom's came in with the video card loose in the case (popped out of the slot in transit) but my sister's came in flawless.

Hey Steve & Eric :

What makes you think the guys & gals at CNC Software aren't playing around with X4 already ?

Rest assured that development & testing is well underway...

I think that multithreading on/off is a bios option (only available for some processors) and apparently from Gene's post it helps MC quite a bit...

P.S. new PC arrived today. DOH ! There isn't a parallel port for the hasp ! Boss is getting an expansion card tonight. I figure that will be cheaper & faster than updating to USB hasps for MC & Topsolid...

Hopefully testing tomorrow...