Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark

Roger Peterson

Looks like my 5:06 from my homebuilt Asus P5B-D 8 months ago is finally being battered to hell. I have always run MCX2 using 75% of RAM but I never really tried any tests to see if it helped but if I have MC running it's more important than anything else that might be running so it seemed logical.

For those that are interested, Tigerdirect.com has a special running on a bare bones kit (item #P450-9102 P)that includes an XFX nForece 680i mobo w/ the Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66Ghz processor. 2 gig ram, case, HD, DVD burner and 750 power supply are included in this deal. $599.99 after $40 rebate.

Just an F.Y.I. for those interested in boosting their processing times. cheers.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Well. anyone expecting a performance increase under Vista x64 and Sp1, forget it, I was with in 3 seconds of my original time on this system.

The further hope lies in X3 FULLY supporting 64 bit technology.

Well, I just loaded Vista x64sp1.

Took 3 tries to get it to install without crashing.

ALSO, I moved the paging file to a new Raptor (new to me - 'requisitioned' it from my kid.) and set the size to FIXED at twice my actual memory size at 8000 MB. Also, I set 'No paging file' on my C: drive - this gives a warning about not being able to make a dump file if there is a crash of the system - Oh well.

I moved the Mastercam TEMP and RGN locations to the new drive (same path names, just new drive location) and created the directories there.

new times old times

1st(new) 5:21 1st (old) 6:27

rgn (new) :35 rgn (old) 1:07

A little better than 1 minute (17%) improvement in 1st run, and 32 seconds (about 48%) on the regen.

I suspect the majority of Improvement is due to moving file locations.

I did try at one point using the READYBOOST feature - slowed system to point I shut down the test at 12+ minutes.

However, gigabyte (motherboard mfg) also makes a board that utilizes my old 4 gig ddr memory as a hard disk. I am considering trying that, since it would be much faster than even the RAPTOR. I just need to justify $180 as a experiment.

Way to go Craig. I've been setting up my pagefile that way for years now, just smaller for 32 bit OS.

Once I had an IT guy here tell me that I needed a little pagefile on C:. I told him no but he did it anyway and MC could only read the little C: pagefile and not the big one on another drive so it gave out of memory errors and crashed constantly. I got a different IT guy to remove the C drive pagefile MC was happy once more. It was a fairytale ending right up until MCX arrived but thats a whole new book.

• 2 weeks later...

So, after a year or two of low level griping about my MC rig (it had issues beyond distance from cutting edge), I got a new system.

Old computer:

Dell Precision 360 Intel Pentium 2 2.8

Win XP Pro

1G RAM Quadro FX 500

12:56

It would slow down a bit if I had much else running.

New computer:

Dell Precision T5400 Intel Xeon quad core 3.16G

Win XP Pro 64 Bit

8G RAM Quadro FX 4600

5:05 out of the box, no tweaking yet.

Right on.

Incidently, RealView in SW2008 looks pretty good with this card.

I usually don't build a new PC 9 months after the last one but something in the motherboard of my Asus P5B-D quit and I RMA'd the board. There haven't been any in stock for weeks so I'll get my money back and use it to buy an Asus Rampage Formula motherboard and either a C2D 8400 or Xenon 3110. They are esentially the same CPU but I think the Xenon has shown better benchmark times. This CPU should clock 600Mhz to 1Gb higher than a quad core.

I haven't seen anyone post a benchmark with a board using DDR3 yet. If MCX2 is more memory intensive then the higher bandwidth of DDR3 would help. That memory is expensive and would take a different ($$$) motherboard. It'll be interesting to see what kind of benchmark times this thing will produce.

quote:

How many other CAM systems out there utilize the multi core support?

CAM Works

Surfcam

Others I am sure I am unaware of

CAD

Solidworks

UGS

Autodesk

Catia

After looking at other benchmarks I'm beginning to wonder if our 4:15 leader is (mistaken) about his time. Think about it, a 45 second drop from an OEM PC using a server motherboard when all other leaders were overclocked enthusiast machines.

The only thing really different is the 8Gb of Ram and 64bit OS. I ran MCX2 on a 64bit OS and got a 10 sec. longer time than with 32bit OS. Whitten got a 4:50 time with an overclock to 3.7Gb, I did 5:06 with a 3.5Gb CPU clock. Our (leader) with a 3.2 CPU clock OEM machine is much more believable at 5:15. I wonder if he used a stop watch or watched a wall clock and did the math (mistake). Also he's in Canada. We've already seen that the benchmark is faster in metric and I didn't see where he said which he used.

[ 04-07-2008, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: bogusmill ]