Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark

Roger Peterson

the only thing for me is the read and right for the drive I try and get at least 480+MBps.

Tom's Hardware shows the OCZ Vertex 4 as top of the heap in overall score, but the reviews for it on Newegg showed a lot of reliability issues. Is there a different one you'd recommend? I'm trying to keep the whole build under about $2k.

I figure with the 512GB SSD I don't need a platter drive at all, since my current rig isn't even using 200GB.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
I figure with the 512GB SSD I don't need a platter drive at all, since my current rig isn't even using 200GB.

It's not about storage space, it's about r/w cycles. Add a platter drive for data.

I would look at this layeout.

The intels seem to be fast I have a few of these the 520 series and a few Samsungs and a few Kingston ssd's and find these to be the best so far.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1938367&CatId=5300

This would be a data drive with good space and speed all drives be a Sata3 6g

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3317815&CatId=8

By the way for me I run two ssd in my desktop and a platter drive.The 1st SSD is for windows and basic programs

2scd SSD id for Cad and Cam softwares. Mastercam, Solidworks, MC4SW, Space Calim. the Platter is for other data. my cad files are on the server.

My laptop runs two SSD same type of confuration except the projects I am working on are on the 2scd SSD.

Okay, it looks like I write about 17GB/day to all drives with current usage. Rounding that up to 20, life expectancy of a 540GB drive with a write limit of 3000 writes per cell should be 222 years. Even if I'm way off on my estimates it has a 3 year warranty and I keep all my files backed up on the server.

Edit:

Related article:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4159/ocz-vertex-3-pro-preview-the-first-sf2500-ssd/2

Have you had issues with SSDs using up R/W cycles?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1
Have you had issues with SSDs using up R/W cycles?

I have not, but that's the one main arguement out there against SSD's so I figured I get it out there early. I've had 4 SSD drives, one I had to return, but it failed on install. The 3 others, 2@ 128GB and 1 @ 256 are alive and well. The 256 is about 3 years old now and my wife uses it on her lappy. She mostly does Photoshop and other work with pictures. So far we've not had any trouble with it at all.

Well I just got a new computer here at work last week.. its the Ivy Bridge 3770k.. have it in a liquid cooled setup running push pull fans..

I havent really overclocked it that much so far.. only have it at 4.4GHz but so far temps have topped out at about 29C so looks like it

shouldnt be hard at all to push this thing to over 5Ghz

Will post more info once I get to try it out..

Well just did the benchmarks .. both the old and the new ones..

Original Benchmark file..

36.314 seconds total

New Benchmark file..

7m 32.141 seconds total

For the system I have im somewhat confused how some of the systems above could possibly have the times listed.. maybe not everythign was set to .0001 or perhaps I should see if there is any special drivers for my video card.. not sure.. 7 and a half minutes isnt terrible.. but thought it should be quicker than some of the systems shown above

System Specs..

Mastercam X6 MU2

Asus Maximus V Extreme MB

core i7 - 3770k ivy Bridge 3.5GHz overclocked to 4.7GHz

32GB G.Skill 1600Mhz Ram

AMD FirePro W8000 w/4GB

256 GB Vertex4 SSD

3TB Seagate 7200rpm

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Got a promotion, a private office and a new ride at work.

i7-3770K @ 3.5GHz

Win 7x64

32 gig ram

two Intel 240 gig SSD's running Raid 1

Quadro 4000 video

Windows experieince rating 7.3

the old X5 benchmark file runs about 38 seconds ( see the attachement)

Our IT Dept runs a ton of overhead. I wonder what this rig could do with a clean setup??

When we first started using this file for a benchmark, 10 minutes was a fast time.

My first dedicated Cad/Cam workstation came in at 11:30 minutes and I though I was bada$$

That tower is in the garage now. I use it for a stool to put my shoes on in the morning. :laughing:

post-162-0-68008200-1358440831_thumb.png

Very nice.. pretty much the same system I have but with the quadro where I have the AMD video card..

Have you had a chance to try the 'new' benchmark file yet?

I would be interested to see the difference between the two given mine is overclocked to 4.7Ghz

On the original benchmark looks like I come out about with about a 2.5 second difference .. would like to see how much of a difference it makes with something that takes a lot longer to process..

Got a promotion, a private office and a new ride at work.

i7-3770K @ 3.5GHz

Win 7x64

32 gig ram

two Intel 240 gig SSD's running Raid 1

Quadro 4000 video

Windows experieince rating 7.3

G, What do you need a PC like that for now you've been promoted?

Surely it's just big ceeegars and scotch on the rocks from now on :D