Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark

Roger Peterson

I would for sure update that laptop and not buy another over priced sony one. I have always seen them as being over priced and underpowered for there cost.

Yes Rich, what did you buy that for :hrhr:

I'll test the benchmark on those cheap Dell M6500's I bought the other day out of interest and report back :D

I downloaded the HST CORE HORIZONTAL RASTER X6 BENCHMARK file from the ftp here and opened it in X7 MU1. I then selected all operations and hit regenerate. It took roughly 8 minutes to regenerate completely and I'm curious if any of you have some feedback on how I can get this computer up to snuff. IT has "upgraded" my system twice and all of the numbers would lead me to believe that this should be much faster.

Windows 7 Pro 64b

X7 MU1

Dell Precision T3600

Intel Xeon E5-1607 3.0Ghz

32G 10600 RAM

nVidia Quadro 2000 1G

1tb 7200 spin drive (not SDD, but shouldn't be that big of a difference)

This computer is brand new and I have changed my performance settings to Best. I have increased caching and enabled LargeSystemCache in the registry to 1. I have even dedicated a flash drive to ReadyBoost as a hail mary with a 10 second improvement to the time. My stock models crash Mastercam constantly, always have over 3 computers regardless of settings.

I would usually have a professionally overclocked i7 ivy bridge CPU with SSD, 32g RAM, and the beefiest Quadro I can afford but IT insists on complete control over systems in my department. It took months of sending screenshots of performance reports and links to forum threads to have them approve adding more than 6g of RAM lol.

Any advice is greatly appreciated with this one.

Yup this is what i'm rockin, but only 16 gigs ram!

Sorry just had to rub it in!

Hope you can join the party in the future!

lol, I don't mind one bit :laughing:

The nicest thing I have been called is "meticulous" when it comes to how much information I provide management when I have a request. My last computer "upgrade" was a result of management coming in asking why a job was late and being presented with a report breaking down the amount of time spent waiting for the computer to process and when the job would have been completed if I had the computer I requested. This also had a monetary breakdown of my wage, shop rate, etc... I had a new computer ordered the next day. Unfortunately, IT bargain shopped the Dell scratch and dent instead of ordering the very specific computer I requested. Time for another report! :smoke:

• Like 1

I would usually have a professionally overclocked i7 ivy bridge CPU with SSD, 32g RAM, and the beefiest Quadro I can afford but IT insists on complete control over systems in my department. It took months of sending screenshots of performance reports and links to forum threads to have them approve adding more than 6g of RAM lol.

Any advice is greatly appreciated with this one.

Shoot the IT dept.

I've seen it many times (and I haven't worked in that many places) where IT know best, but clearly don't understand what is required for you to do your job.

And I bet if you looked at their PC, it would be better specced than yours, and I bet management don't know that either, where 'upgrades and extras' have been tagged onto other systems being bought, so IT can built their own monster PC under the radar bit by bit without anyone knowing...

rant on....

I don't understand how its hard to see that a faster computer will pay for itself in no time at all.

Programmers are almost always on the higher end of the payscale.

So i could spend like what 3-5k on a nice system with lots of monitors to have some of the higher paid/ more valuable be more efficient and get more xxxx done. Which most likely leads to even greater productivity gains from other employees as your experienced guys can get out and help out more rather that sit and wait to process!

VERY rough math here....at only 50k/year if the computer nets a +5% productivity thats half(or all) the price of the system is paid for in gained productivity in one year and i know when i upgrade my computer it isn't going to be only 5% faster! Especially coming from anything but a hex core at 4.5ish ghz with butloads of ram and a sweet videocard and like 7 million monitors!

sorry rant off.

I agree wholeheartedly Zack. Often times our department is treated as a necessary evil where those that hold the purse strings are loathe to pour more money. I hear them say that success equals having the right tools for the job and then scoff at a request for the proper tools to do ours. Millions of dollars are dropped on machines, tooling, materials, etc... to produce the parts and then they're waiting impatiently for our programs to run them. Every request that our department makes is directly tied to increasing efficiency and productivity and not to our personal wants. I have even asked to pay for my own system because I know that dropping $2,500 on the exact box I need will pay for itself in the long run but they still say no and hand the request to IT who does their own thing.

When I was Mastercam support I would field calls daily with all kinds of problems that I knew were directly tied to the systems the programmers were running. We would go through months worth of support explaining the same thing 100 different ways. The lucky customers who finally purchased the computer I recommended were only heard from for "how do I do this" or "my NetHASP is blah blah" common support issues afterwards.

Oh well, it is what it is as people say. We'll just keep being awesome in spite of it all. Keep on making chips my friends! :smoke:

• Like 1

Because most shop owners can't/won't look past the initial cost. All they want is the cheapest price at the time, instead of looking at ROI.

Yes see it all the time. That endmill cost $55 are you crazy. Example today been running the part and it was taking 1hr 15minutes. Got it down to 40 minutes. This run they are running 80 parts. Going with the correct tool and different toolpath resulted in a 47% reduction in running the parts. I believe they run it 4 times a year. In one year those $55 endmills will have made them using a $100/hr shop rate $37,333 in net profit from the previous times they have run the job. Same equipment, but running it with HST toolpaths and thru the Spindle Coolant. Yeah just crazy what some people just will not see.

Because most shop owners can't/won't look past the initial cost. All they want is the cheapest price at the time, instead of looking at ROI.

I'm going through the same thing right now at work. I'm just glad they let me use my company lets me use my personal laptop to program otherwise I wouldn't be able to get anything done. Its embarrassing the computers we have at work.

My work computer:

Dell Precision 380

Processor: Pentium® 4 cpu 2.80 GHz

RAM: 1.00GB

Operating system: Windows XP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I tested all of our computers with the original benchmark file (X6) a couple years ago. Had a few computers replaced rather quickly :)

PROCESSOR GHZ RAM BENCHMARK TIME NOTES

i 7 3.4 8 GB :42 Win 7 Quad Core

XEON 3.0 3 GB 1:55 Win XP Dual Core

E8400 3.0 3 GB 1:30 Win XP Dual Core

PENTIUM 4 3.0 3 GB 12:27 Win XP Single Core

i 5 2.6 4 GB 1:24 Win 7 Quad Core

i 3 3.1 3 GB 1:20 Win XP Dual Core

XEON 3.0 3 GB 1:31 Win XP Dual Core

XEON 2.67 3 GB 1:14 Win XP Quad Core

XEON 3.1 8 GB :48 Win 7 Quad Core

i 7 3.4 8 GB :42 Win 7 Quad Core

i 7 2.8 3 GB 1:07 Win XP Quad Core