Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D Contour Help

Ocean Lacky™

Ya you have to do a surface finish contour and use your curve as the boundary.

That way the surface is figured in...

but if your z varies, you will have to use a pencil path or a blended/projected...

I guess you could also do a scallop and just use the outer boundary as well...

"I have a 3D Contour that I want to mill with a 1" Ball Mill. The contour is a curve at the top edge of a 1/2 radius surface. I programmed with comp set to center of tool and it backplots fine, but it posts out 1/2" high."

"I know it's something simple, just don't do this often enough."

I assume you did set your tool length offset to the center of the ball?

It's a 4.75" deep pocket with vertical walls. the bottom is not flat. I was trying to cut the walls with a 1"ball endmill while following the contour of the bottom. I ended up cheating a bit by offsetting Z at the machine until I got a radius at the bottom I could live with. Fortunately, it's not fussy, more cosmetic than anything else.

I would just lie about the toolsize...

Then it would stay off the walls...

Better still...

just leave stock....stay off the bottom and the walls.

Then you could do a shallow and give it an angle that is great enough to compute the whole surf.

Go from inside to outside and save geometry.

copy the last couple passes and you will be good to go...

you can then do a contour on those and import the NCI into your op to verify...I have done this many times...

course there are always more way to do something biggrin.gif

Offset the contour by .5 away from the wall then

comp set to center and z-.5 if you don't offset the contour and just set the Z the cutter will move to center on the wall giving you a .5" gouge.

i like this method but i will translate z-.5 or whatever the radius on the tool is. what you are doing is creating the center geometry and move it to the tip.

if you really want to get creative then use this method with a bull em. it really is the same. you offset geo, move to the center of the tool then down the radius amount.

the reason i don't use center is that if you change to center you have to change back to tip at some point. it is to easy for me to not notice that setting because i never use it. no big deal until you come back to this file next month and forget to look at it. moving the geometry keeps the program good when you come back this file later. you can always isolate this geometry to a level with a note.

this is the way to program 3 axis with level 1 or level 2. you can do many operations that normally require surface toolpaths.

Endmill is even better...

They use those Mitubisi negative inserts around here that dont ramp worth a crap because they have like zero chip clearance...

So ramping down busts up the inserts where the Iscar positive will gouge down to China with no problem...

I know you are just trying to clean up the radius so as not to have to bench so much...

I am processing one now take a few...