Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How can I convince Boss to upgrade to X2?

MILLRUNNER

I work in a toolroom and I am responsible for the majority of the CNC work that is done. I program a CNC vertical mill and I also run two AGIE classic wire machines.

I learned to use Mastercam 9.1 in school. When I went to work at my current employer, they had MCAM8. It was a big adjustment to me, having to use a lower version of MCAM. I have trouble with it a lot.

We just got news about 3 weeks ago that the company was upgrading to X2. I was so excited, because I have heard so many good things about X. Well, the boss uppgraded his and he doesn't like it. So, therefore, he doesn't think I should upgrade mine and won't let the company computer lady do mine. I am so upset about this!

One of his fears is this: I use MCAM8 about every 3 or 4 hours to post files for the wire machines. he is worried that in the event we upgrade my HASP to run on X, I won't be able to figure out how to use it (since I see that is does have a new look)-I'm not sure exactly what it looks like for sure, I haven't gotten the opportunity to run it...

I tried to explain to them, after asking several people about it, that once you have upgraded you can still use an older version and post from that if need. Am I right?? I have no doubt that I will be able to run X, but I don't make the decisions, lol.

You have to excuse my boss, he is a POWERCAD guy and he has been using that for about 15 years. he does not like mastercam at all...HELP

Chances are you'll want a more powerful computer for it than you could get away with for 8. Whachya got? There's also a little bit of a learning / adjustment period that you'll go through, but Mater's right, once you get used to it you won't go back. You will be able to run both versions side by side during your transition period.

Oh, one thing to watch out for. If you get a new computer to run X2 on and it has XP Pro 64 it won't run 9 or older versions. I don't know about Vista, you'll have to search or ask the other guys.

The best thing you can possibly do is upgrade. You will never look back. V8 was terribly cumbersome even compared to V9 (as I'm sure you've noticed wink.gif ). X2 is light years ahead. It does take a little while to get used to the new interface, but you have the advantage of not having used pre-X for very long. Lots of people complain at first because it isn't what they are used too.

rolleyes.gif

The truth is that once you get it figured out, it rocks! So here is what you need to do first:

1. There is a V9 to X function mapping PDF file that lists all the Version 9 commands and their equivalent command in X. Keep it handy.

2. Read the Mastercam X Reference Guide. You can get to it through the Help menu in Mastercam, or you can browse in the Help folder inside your install directory. When X was first released I read this book cover to cover. It's 400+ pages and very good information.

3. There are some videos available on mastercam.com that are very good to watch as well.

HTH,

The V9 to X function mapping PDF file and the Mastercam X Reference Guide are in the Documentation folder in your MC install directory. They can be accessed from Start-All Programs-Mastercam X2-Documentation.

A LOT of people complained about X when it first came out. Ask them now and 98% would NEVER go back. wink.gif

Good luck fighting the good fight. I know how difficult it can be to get people to change.

Welcome to the forum! cheers.gif

Thad

You may also want to let your boss know that a lot of new and helpful features have been added since V8 that he can't see just by looking at the main screen. He also should consider that the longer he waits to make this transition the further behind you guys are from your competition that has moved up to X2. These guy's will tell you they are faster and have more tools in their arsenal now that they are using X. Yes, there is a learning curve but you will be better off as a company to make the transition and use the tools you've already paid for.

I didn't hear any mention of training in your previous note. Maybe the boss could send you to training or buy the certification kit that has the video tutorial with audio on drawing and toolpathing.

Maybe let him know about these as well as the forum and have him look at the Mastercam.com website to look at what been added since V8.

Hope the info from everyone here helps.

MasterCam Newsletter June 2006

Look on page 4, soon you wont have the option to update. I image that next year X3 will be out and that will be the final year to update V8.

Once you get the initial learning curve you will never go back.

I opened a V9 file with V9 by mistake the other day. I though, I will just make a quick change in V9. Then I thought this really sucks what we thinking using this, closed V9 and opened the file in X2. Ahhh thats better.

Mill Runner,

I have been in this trade for over 30 years. I have been in your predicument many times.

Attempt #1

THe first thing you need to do is pick a time to talk to him about something else and make sure the converstation is friendly, like just "chewing the fat", if you feel it is the right time, bring up the MCX deal, and how you feel it would increase your productivity as MCX has evolved greatly since ver8 and that not allowing you to make use of it is only hurting the company, not you. Also let him know that when you upgrade to MCX that you can still use any version of MC prior to MCX. If you are unsuccessful then use this approach, but I warn you, be very, very cool when using the following,

cause you can really screw yourself with your supervisor.

Attempt #2

Unless your Boss is different from everyother Boss that has used a certain software for a long time, and (a) knows nothing about MC (B) thinks because it works for him it will work for you (these are the really stupid ones) © is afraid that someone younger and less experienced than him may show him up once they get really cooking with MCX (and that is what wil eventually happens) I hate to tell you this but you have an uphill battle.

Here is what I have found that worked for me in the past. First go to his supervisor or company owner, explain the situation in that you deeply feel not upgrading your software from a version that is at least 6 or 7 yrs old is really doing a diservice to the company as the latest version is by far much more productive, that while you understand the software your supervisor uses works well for him, all that you have read and heard about MCX it is now one of the most powerful packages available today . DO NOT DEGRADE OR MAKE DISRESPECTFULL COMMENTS ABOUT YOUR SUPERVISOR TO HIS SUPERVISOR!!!!!! THis only makes you look bad. Explain that you only have the company's best interest in mind and if you didn't feel so strongly about this issue, you would never go over your supervisor's head.

YOu are in a very precarious situation and if not handled correctly could cause you a great amount of grief further down the road.

I am not familiar with "PowerCad" and thats not saying because I haven't heard of it, it's not any good. It may be somewhat like "SmartCam" while in its day it was great. But method of operation totally out of date, and actually it has gone by the wayside. I have heard that Point Control is revamping and will put on the market again sometime in the future.

Good Luck my friend,

OK, let me see if I can clarify some of the things in you guys' replies.

The computers we have are all very up to date, so thats not an issue. I will be geting a new computer if this whole thing happens, because my PC is running windows 2000. I don't have access to the internet at work, some of the higher up people do, but I don't. I could get to this forum during the day by way of someone's computer though, provided I had there permision first of course.

As far as training goes and learning the X2 software, I don't think I will have many issues. I am a very quick learner and artistically inclined to begin with. I am fluent in many CAD/CAM systems, not just MCAM. I have and can run FeatureCam, SurfCam, GibbsCAM, and PowerCAD too. The past couple of years have subjected me to many different sytems. I'm sure that I can find everything I need in the help files and if not I can get an answer somewhere.

As far as the competition goes, There is no one really threatening competition. Or maybe I should say that my boss is not worried about it to the point that they will upgrade my software lol.

As far as the Boss's demeanor. I work for a great company, and I have had nothing but good things happen to me during my time there. I am pretty sure he is not worried about me surpassing him in intelligence, lol. I run the wires, and he doesn't have much to do with them other than telling me what goes in them and when. I kind of feel like the way my boss looks at it is like this: If it aint broke, don't fix it. Or, if it's running fine now, why change it.

I guess maybe the reason he doesn't like MCAM, is because it is more machining oriented. PowerCAD is similar to AutoCAD, and he draws prints and designs dies. He uses PowerCAD because it is more drafting oriented. I am the same way about PowerCAD, I don't care much for it, but I have to use it to make my own prints for the wire machines.

I am kind of afraid to bring up the subject because I am afraid of hearing "NO", lol. He is the kind of person that once he makes a decision, he pretty much sticks to it, and I don't think a million dollars would make him change his mind. Of course it is also to be noted that I may be all wrong about all of the possibilities I'm coming up with, He may have a very good reason to not want me to have it. who knows.

I don't really feel like it would be right to go over his head about the issue, but I do think I could resolve this that way. I know that his boss would jump on it for sure. But, where does that leave me in my Boss's eyes??? I don't want to do anything to cause friction between him and I, because we have a very good working relationship.

There is one final possibility, and I am not sure what to do about this. The other day, they were looking for the V8 CD. We have a big problem with misplacing software CDs and I think it may have been lost, I never did here if they found it or not. If this is the case, I will not be able to get both systems-V8 and X2 on the new PC because the computer lady is building it for me. She is gonna put XP on it and load V8 and X2 on it afterwards. Of course I will move my hasp to the new one she builds for me. In other words, I may have the only computer in the building with V8 still on it, and in the event of a crash or loss, we would not be able to reinstall it because we don't have the CD.

If this is the case, I know the whole thing is prolly out of the question because I kind of feel like my boss thinks if this upgrade makes us loose V8, he's really not gonna do it...

Are yall with me now?

Thanks for the replies and the help guys.

quote:

I finally made the change to x and I can program a lot faster then before. That is worth the change in itself. The new tool paths that x has are incredible.

And yet another makes the change successfully and realizes he is and CAN be faster wink.gif

cheers.gif