Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Forcing start points in pockets.

MotorCityMinion

Version X

Can anyone please explain to me how to force/select a start point when pocket milling or contouring. Let's say I drill a .312 dia hole in a pocket as a start point for feeding my e-mill (.25 dia.) into the cut. How do I select that as an entry point for milling the pocket? As for contours, no start hole, but I do want to start the cutter at a specified location. I've been extending lines for contours and open pockets, messing with lead-in and out, and going back and adding drill locations to pockets after verifying start locations, but there has to be a better way.

Off topic: Why is there no Dxx value when my post turns on a G41? (Haas generic 3 axis vmc post, wear selected, dia. offset selected).

Thanks for your help, MCM.

Mark Banaszak and Cheeves got it right. Kudos for staying on topic and not telling me about what version of windows you have, or the type of computer you use. LOL, I'm not asking about circle milling & helical ramps. Nor would I consider drilling a start hole on the outside of a contour. One senior member even sarcastically ask "What's a start hole? Well, it's a must for machining small, deep pockets with a .062 e-mill thats gotta go .50 deep in tool steel or exotics. Heh, splitting an e-mill is easy, gluing it back together is the hard part! Thanks again to those who responded to the topic in a professional and courteous manner

The method used for selecting start points was what I was trying to resolve, not material removal techniques. The hole and cutter sizes were theoretical. I do appreciate the input though. Next topic, I'll try to be more specific and mention all the variables that I already know about.

"What do you want to discuss now, my favorite color?" Kernel Jessup, A Few Good Men.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

I think some members have a different sense of humor than others. biggrin.gif That aside, I think some people are just trying to help you possibly improve your process.

Welcome to the Forum. cheers.gif

quote:

Kudos for staying on topic and not telling me about what version of windows you have, or the type of computer you use.

Many people list thier OS, video card and computer

type at the bottom of thier posts by default.

That way when discussing problems, everyone will know what thier system specs are.

I list the software I own just because I feel like it smile.gif If that offends you, you've got awful thin skin.

LOL, OK peeps, I'll back off abit. I'm not thin skinned, just having a hard time getting used to the banter here, If I really want humor though, this is not the place to find it. As for searching for topics that have been discussed before and are considered redundant, we've all been there and know that doing so can take much longer than simply re-posting the topic. Most of the post topics here do go off on some tangent or another and make reviewing the topics quite a chore. No doubt about it though, the Emastercam forums are, IMHO, the most useful resource I have for getting to the root of most problems. I'll consider this post closed for me and I'm sorry that I irked a few of you.