Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Typical Prog Job Wages in LA...

William Grizwald

Just found this on the net:

"A machine shop in San Fernando (LA) is looking for a CNC Programmer. Must have a minimum of 5 years experience using Mastercam. Must have experience setting up and operating mold making machines. Starting pay is $20/hr."

Just so you all in the midwest don't get excited -the 2001 median home price in Los Angeles is $241,370. (and climbing).

Guess that programmer won't be owning a home anytime soon...

William

I gotta agree with BerTau. I moved from Petoskey Michigan (you think Chicago is cold and snowy....)to..well..look for yourself. Took a huge pay cut and do not regret it at all. Had a decent offer in Plymouth Michigan (near Detroit)at Chicago wages, but it snows in Plymouth also. It would take 150k to get me back to Petoskey (you listening,Ed?). biggrin.gif

quote:

] Did that bring your property value up or down?

Up===Also the sign one block the other way for new houseing with the line

"stareting at the low 400's "

contributed as well.

quote:

BTW, A big congrats on the new job. I bet the last place misses you, if they aren't out of business by now.

Thanks JAMMAN

With their "logic free" manufacting style, I am sure I won't be missed.

quote:

The forum hasn't been quite the same after the "Smoking pipes" thread.

Jamman== I though this was funny

[ 04-27-2002, 03:07 PM: Message edited by: Scott Bond ]

Housing prices in San Diego have about doubled in the last 6 years. Median price is now just over $300K. Median price went up $19K in the last 90 days.

Typical wages for programmers:

beginning: $15-19

experienced: $17-$22

3D, top earner: $50-66K (some going over in selected top jobs)

Average annual household income to buy a house in San Diego? $100K. In other words, your wife better have a good job too!

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

A house down the street(with a pool) from me went for $307,000. Luckily(sp?) we got in when we did. Our house payment is like $1400 - $1450, I don't know, I just go to work my wife pays all the bills. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif She also stays home with the boys.

I've seen similar ranges to what CHarles pointed out in my area. The top paying positions are few and far between.

Not meaning to offend the CA residents, I have family in CA) but I'm sure glad I don't live there. Working from home, I get a view through the Ponderosa pines at Pikes Peak, get my kids up, ready and off to school each morning, walk into the other room and kiss my wife as she works (GE promotes working from home), pay $0.20-$0.30 less per gallon of gas, watch fox, squirrel and deer in the yard. Plus, I love snow! Originally from Montana. Yeah, I know, "where the men are men, the women are too and the sheep are nervous".

quote:

Plus, I love snow!

Move to Michigan's upper peninsula. You will change your mind.

quote:

and the sheep are nervous

Male or female?

Actually my wife has been bugging me for a trip "out west". I'm just afraid with my history I would like it and end up moving there. wink.gif

JAMMAN,

Trust me, in Montana there is a saying; "The snow never melts, the wind just blows it back and forth until it wears out".

I just love winter. I always get bummed out when I have to put my skis away each spring. My wife is still trying to adjust to waking up and seeing ice on my mustache since I sleep with the windows open. Eighteen years, you think she'd know by now.

As to the sheep that are nervous being male or female.....yes.

It's and old joke that I grew up with since we raised sheep when I was a kid. Dumbest animals on earth.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

As a Native Californian - 5 generations back, I'm glad that many people don't like it here. We have way too many people out here as it is. I wish fewer people liked it honestly. When what should be a 5 minute drive takes 20 minutes or wheb what should be a 30 minute drive takes 2 hours there's just too many people. I wish we had more earthquakes actually, perhaps that would drive some of them away.

JM2C

Way to many people here in So. Cal.

I just came back from Vegas Sun night. left about 6:00pm from the border line.

It was bumper to bumper from Baker to Victorville, with a occasional break to 60-65mph.

Should have flown.

How about the Laker game. biggrin.gif

It was great to see the smug Portland players jaw drop.

No offense to the people that live there.

Scott it is great that you have started a new job, Hope it works well for ya.

Mike

just north of ft worth (20 miles), the mid-range house if probably 100K to 150K (probably 2000 sq. ft.) (unless you want to live in south lake, then they are 350K). goodpay is around 25 and hour if you can get into a large company but the small shops only pay about 16 to 18 an hour and have zero bennies. the only union shops are defense contractors and we stay away from them unless we just want to be a production machinist who enjoys gettinglaid off every couple of years just for kicks. gas, right now is 1.35 per gallon for regular un-leaded. milk is 1.89 per gallon and bread is a dollar a loaf. it's already 95F about 2:00 in the afternoon unless it rains then it's 95 degress and the air is so thik you can swinm throuhg it. the local school systems are decent as long as you don't go to east or downtown ft. worth and by all means stay away from dallas school systems.

oh yea, property tax on a 100K house is about $2500.00 per year. not bad.

quote:

just north of ft worth (20 miles), the mid-range house if probably 100K to 150K (probably 2000 sq. ft.) (unless you want to live in south lake, then they are 350K). goodpay is around 25 and hour if you can get into a large company but the small shops only pay about 16 to 18 an hour and have zero bennies. the only union shops are defense contractors and we stay away from them unless we just want to be a production machinist who enjoys gettinglaid off every couple of years just for kicks. gas, right now is 1.35 per gallon for regular un-leaded. milk is 1.89 per gallon and bread is a dollar a loaf. it's already 95F about 2:00 in the afternoon unless it rains then it's 95 degress and the air is so thik you can swinm throuhg it. the local school systems are decent as long as you don't go to east or downtown ft. worth and by all means stay away from dallas school systems.

oh yea, property tax on a 100K house is about $2500.00 per year. not bad.

Well what do you know, there are at least two of us here from cowtown.

You forgot the mosquitos that require FAA identification around here.

I've been laid off twice in the last 3 years, from a small company and a large company. The jobs I have interviewed for paid between $22 and $35 per hour. And we have no state income taxes!!!!!

[ 04-30-2002, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: roy g. biv ]