Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Bankwupted shop selling off including computers with Mc2

bigjohn

G'day

A mate of mine is about to buy some equipment from a finished manufacturing business. among other things three computers with legal MC2 plus part files. He would get some of the clients too. My question to you is: Is it legal to use MC2 from those (3) computers?

John

bigjohn,

Henk and others are right. Take it from a former employee of a Mastercam reseller. It is not legal for them to use it but they should be able to transfer the licenses. Of course there is a fee involved. I don't know the cost but it may be less than if they were to purchase the 3 licenses from their reseller directly. HTH cheers.gif

If he is just buying the computers hence just the Mastercam there will be a large penalty for lic transfer.

If he is buying basically a company and its assets this is a different story as you can buy the company and its assets and this can include the Mastercam.

I suggest before any move is done that he talks with the local dealer so he knows his options and will there be a cost or not . Also what type of support is he going to get.

Bottom line can he use it yes but will he be able to update them and transfer the lic to his company and if so what’s the cost.

We bought out a company earlier this year and it came with all the software rights including mastercam. Although we did have to contact our reseller to transfer ownership. We had to send in the sim so they could transfer it to our nethasp. In another case this year, our shop was interested in some equipment at auction of a shop that went out of business. I contacted our reseller regarding the mcam seats. He informed me that we had to buy the company to legally transfer the mcam license. So at the very least I would contact your reseller so you can be fully informed before shelling out the cash for illegal software. I know it doesn't seem fair and that they should honor your license cause they are only going to profit from it if you keep up with upgrades. But it seems like the law is clear on transfer of software license's and they follow that to a T.