Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New user in need of help

ultimateguy

I am currently doing my undergraduate thesis in medical physics. I need to use Mastercam to model 4 lumbar vertebrae. (Such as this picture: http://www.chiromobile.com/Images/LumbSpineLat_small_01.gif )

Doing this by hand in Mastercam appears somewhat daunting. I read somewhere that it may be possible to obtain what I want by importing a picture into Mastercam. What would be the easiest way to do this? I am using Mastercam X2 11.0.3.25.

If you want to model the organic 3D shape of a vertebrae in Mastercam, you are in for a world of hurt. Can you get any physical models (plaster) and have them lazer scanned? That would be the best way to accurately model these shapes.

Importing a picture into Mastercam wouldn't work very well. The picture is 2D and you could trace the shapes and create a Mastercam Art "relief", but I think you would struggle to get a true 3D shape. The Art relief 3D model creation seems more suited to creating "wood carving" style reliefs.

Where are you located?

Cimtech Inc. does lazer scanning and reverse engineering of the point cloud data into solids using Rapidform software.

Cimtech Inc.

www.multiaxis.com

253-333-0126

If I had to model the same shapes I would not use Mastercam, I would use Rhino.

I agree with Colin 100%. Are you planning on machining these vertebrae? MC would be good for that but if you want to create a model use Rhino or Inventor. Also, if you have the means scan in the real vertebrae or a modeled version.

If none of this helps and you don't have the means use what you got and jump in. The water is warm! You can do it in MC and it will be a great learning experience.

Keep us posted on your progress

I will be working with a machinist to make a phantom for a bone densitometer. We were initially going to do the drawings in AutoCad but he recommended Mastercam because he could machine it more easily with that.

This doesn't sound very promising because I have a presentation in 2 weeks and I need to have some drawings by then. I guess I'll start playing around and see what I can come up with.

quote:

Would I draw all 6 sides of the vertebrae and then import them?

Yes, but your MC guy would still need to do quite a bit of work to make them into something machinable.

EDIT: Just re-read your original post. You don't have to machine them, just model them. wink.gif

Thad