Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D toolpath

drexen16

hi, i am somewhat new to this website and mastercam and i am trying to figure out how to create 3d toolpaths with mastercam x2. i know how to create normal 2d toolpaths but i cannot figure out how to create 3d ones. just some information, i am using a 3 axis machine. i am trying to create a cone by making about 70-100 circles that each go in .03125 and up a little less each time to creat approximatly a 30 degree cone. if i forgot any information and you can help me just ask. any help would be great.

thanks,

drexen

i am not working off of a drawing. i just thought of doing this for my cam class and the teacher has used mastercam just as much as the student as it is a new program this year at my school.

how do i do wireframe toolpaths?

the mill level is 3

how do i do a 2d sweep tool path? also, taper an angle?

Dare I ask what school this is, has the instructor not gone for any kind of training???

OK....here is the best walk through I can give you for now..

1)Create a circle (use dia of top of cone)

2)Create a second circle down in the Z (dia of bottom of cone)

3)Create a line to connect the two circles @ 90deg(3 o'clock)

4)Create swept surface

5)Single select the line joining the circles

6)Hit the check Mark Button

7)Single select either circle

That should do it...

As for the programming give it a try and see what questions you have after that...

Good Luck...

hi, you dont seem to understand or i am saying it wrong. i know how to create a cone perfectly fine. the problem is that i dont know how to create a toolpath for a solid. i have a file of the drawing on my computer. it is a cone that is 3 inches at base, 1 inch at top, 1 inch tall, and has a sphere 1 inch diameter at top of cone with center point in middle of top of cone. i just want to know how to make a toolpath for that.

thanks,

Drex

drexen

I don't toolpath solids but only surfaces since we don't have many solids licences. So if yourb still interested in toolpathing a surface start with making surfaces from your solid.

Then do a surface rough contour with a stepdown.

SAy you have a 1.00" dia cutter with a .02 radius at edge of tool and you make your step down .07 leaving say .005 material.

Then perform a surface finish toolpath. It could be a flowline. You could play with the direction and a stepover say .010. watch the verify and see if you like it.

This is just a quick start for you but it may help get you on your way. You will probably not be interested since you wish to machine as a solid.

drexen

I don't toolpath solids but only surfaces since we don't have many solids licences. So if your still interested in toolpathing a surface start with making surfaces from your solid.

Then do a surface rough contour with a stepdown.

SAy you have a 1.00" dia cutter with a .02 radius at edge of tool and you make your step down .07 leaving say .005 material.

Then perform a surface finish toolpath. It could be a flowline. You could play with the direction and a stepover say .010. watch the verify and see if you like it.

This is just a quick start for you but it may help get you on your way. You will probably not be interested since you wish to machine as a solid.