Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multiple files when posting?

MultiAxGod

• 2 years later...

I’m resurrecting this old thread because I didn’t find any recent chatter on this issue. If I missed it please post a link. So here’s the scenario . . .

[*]Open X2.mcx in X4

[*]Add operations

[*]Post. Mastercam posts two .NC files with the same name, to the same location, with second one overwriting the first.

[*]Check NC File name on old and new ops. All are the same. BUT, we know this happens because the NCI path for old and new ops are different, so . . . . . . .

[*]Select all ops, Right-click > Edit Selected operations > Change NC File name

So in reality, “Change NC File name” really means “Change NCI Destination” like it use to say in pre-X versions. Right?

So how do we stop the madness of manually updating this every time we open an older file and add ops?

[*]Only ever install Mastercam in C:mcamx so that all nci destinations are the same? Not practical IMO to dump an old version and test&switch to a new version in same day.

[*]Choose a different nci destination that can be common no matter what Mcam version is used in the future? Such as C:Temp instead of C:mcamX#Millnci? I hoped this is what would happen if you select “Use Windows temp directory” in Config>Files > Data Path, along with not saving the NCI file. Technically then the NCI is a temp file. No such luck.

Any other suggestions??

Also,

Turn on "Use last Operation's NC File name".

I set mine to "Prompt", "1st Operation Only", and use the "Use last ..." option.

That way when you create your 1st operation, all subsequent operations use that NC File Name.

If you open that file a year from now and add an operation, it will use the Last operation's NC file name (NCI Destination).

quote:

would it be a problem if we lost the option for each operation to have a different file name?

Going back to the original version of X, it was stated at that time becasue of the way the mold makers in particular work mostly, that having each OP with the ability to be named separately, that ability "needed" to stay in the software.

That was part of the reasoning of the Tool path manager creation, IIRC

quote:

. . make sure you have "Ask" checked

&

Turn on "Use last Operation's NC File name".

Yes, I have everything set this way, so new ops are named the same and I do get a warning that I am about to overwrite the previous NC file.

I even get this message when I open an older mcx file "Machine Group: Machine Group-2 NC data path has been updated to: C: PROGRAM FILESMCAMX4NC". But it will still post the temp nci file to the old nci data path. This produces different nc files if I add new ops.

quote:

would it be a problem if we lost the option for each operation to have a different file name?

What if all operations in the toolpath group ALWAYS posted to a single file?

I use the nc file name to purposely output files with different file names.

If I'm running multiple vices and or manually rotating/moving the part from one fixture to another. I program the part on all sides using different user defined planes -w- work offsets then post the code.

Sometimes it's easier to prove the code working with one offset at a time.

We would want to keep the option for different NC file names. I would just like Mastercam to play nicer when old and new OPs are included with the same name.

Where does Mastercam store the nci path info that makes it think they are different?

When I right-click > edit selected > change NC file name, old(X2) and new(X4) ops all say "C:Program FilesMcamX4MillNCT.NC", but the underlying nci path is obviously different. Somehow "changing" the NC file name(even though they are already the same) sets the nci path to the same.

Tom,

Not certain where the NCI path is being stored, that would be a question for folks writing the source code. (they may or may not be willing to share that info)

I have seen it before though that I would have multiple toolpaths that shared the exact same nc file name that would post separately. The only way to get it to correct was to - select all, right click in the ops manager, edit selected ops, change nc file name - to reset the nc file path.

I don't want to beat this to death . . . ok, well maybe. We have the "work arounds" and can pay attention to how it is posting out.

My biggest interest in this, is finding out if there is a better solution for the future.

So here is the question:

Can we set file paths, file names, nci files, etc., NOW in X4 files, so that when we open an X4.mcx in X5(or future version), add operations and post, we get ONE NC FILE for old and new ops? headscratch.gif

If each toolpath group represented a single NC file:

1. You could still post individual operations seperatly.

2. You could create seperate groups when you need to keep the NC files seperate.

My thought is to remove the little icon under each operation that has the NC datapath.

We have added a page of options to try and deal with this issue, but they have not helped.

If you have set to "user name" in system configuration / toolpath manager : nc filename.

Then you are get dual postings on imported operations if you have imported it the first thing in your file. No matter verNr on imported OPs

The bug has bugnr cnc00066086 and has been there for X3, X4, mu1, mu2 and mu3.

It’s a simple and fast task for CNC to fix that. If they choose not to fix this in X5 Iwant to hear a good explanation for that.

/Frostfritt

gcode, we have discuss this issue before, back in X4mu1 times.

btw. Im glad you now realice the benefit from import operations.

Do you have X5 beta? would you mind to also try that in X5 and get back here with the results?

..and remember, only the first imported Op in the file has this issue with other filename on ncfile and only if there is no other manual programmed op,s before.

/frostfritt