Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Which Graphics card would you choose?

cobra95kev

I am going to be upgrading my video card because we have been doing some work lately with alot of surfacing toolpaths and my verify has ran out of steam too many times. It just stops and says verify simulation failed. Right now I have a geforce 6600 in this box and I am considering upgrading to either a QUADRO FX3450 or Quadro FX1700 which one of these would be best for this computer?

Just as importantly would it have a good chance of fixing my problem. My STL file at this point is getting up around 20 megs. Any more than that it bombs. I have been turning my quality slider down some to help me get a little further but it is getting slow now too.

The computer is a powergistic system with Windows XP SP2 processor is Intel Pentium 3.2Ghz with 2.0GB of RAM.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kevin C. smile.gif

My IT guy just put a 1700 in my computer. It's definitely better than what I had, but it's still no miracle cure for my huge files, esp. surface scallop programs just eat up way too much memory. I normally make some surface parallel files just for verifying (as my main finish program and run that in verify instead of the scallop file that I will actually send out to the floor) and do a straight 0 or 90 degree step (with .08 step) because they take up so much less verify memory.

quote:

I am finishing a part that is roughly 10" by 12" with a .020 stepover

Kevin,

I would think your new video card would easily handle that even with the scallop programs. The parts I'm processing right now are 100"x58": headliners. But if the new card won't handle it, then give what I suggested a try.

The order of priority for performance is:

Memory Interface

Memory Bandwidth

the memory size doesent matter in this case:

512 mg DDR2 is not going to beat 256 DDR3

in speed (size only)

the FX1500 has the faster memory and MI and MB

The 512 meg memory is more geared for animation

gaming etc where the memory size usually matters.

HTH

Not really, because you are not gaining alot

with DDR2 compared to DDR3

(Gaming and animation graphics are a completely

different animals to MC verify.)

I tested my 512mg gforce AGP 6600(DDR3) to my

256mg PCI fx1500(DDR3)

it didn't verify any faster. But refreshing

when zooming or rotating was a bit quicker.

Shading a huge model and rotating refresh rates

were hardly noticeable.

My conclusion was the 6600 was a fairly good card

I did however find after switching to the fx1500

MC had way less problems, crashing mostly.

I hardly ever crash with the fx1500

But then again it also seems that every system

reacts differently for MC.

These are just my findings

I have been researching this for a while. I have a Ge Force 6200 at home with a pent 4 and 1 gig of ram and I have no problems, it is actually very fast, at work I have the Quadro fx 570 with 2 gig of ram and when I verify on turbo the view is choppy or hesitant when I scroll in or out? I also am able to process faster at home than work . I dont understand why the Quadro was 900.00 more than the 6200. Crazy eh? headscratch.gif