Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Line Tangent To Arc

ToolMan184

Best way I have found it to use the snap tangent then if you want it tangent to another arc just do the same thing. Also hold down ctrl button if not using the snap it will allow you to pick the arc without having to worry about auto cursor grabbing a point, nearest, quadrant, or something like that when suing this function.

HTH

Unselect Vert & Horz then select Tanget Icon to the right. Move your curssor over the arc or circle, before comming in contact with the arc it will light up then click (without making contact) and your line will be connected tangent automatic, then you have to mess with it.

Daniel,

Thats what I came up with. You would think that when you tell it 45 degree it would figure the correct side of the circle, but it jumps to the other side. After about an hour of #$%^ing with it I got what I needed.

Im beginning to get VERY FRUSTRATED messing with MC and all the damn work arounds. Im beginning to wonder just why in the HELL I pay for Maint. every year. I have been wanting to get Lathe for over a year and cant bring myself to do it with all the problems Lathe has. Its SAD.....VERY SAD.

Just so you know, you can make contact with the circle, just don't let it snap to a quadrant, midpoint, etc. That's what Crazy was talking about earlier.

I think it's somewhat common in CAD software that when you create a line tangent, if you move the mouse around, you can get the tangent line to change directions. I know MC isn't the only one that does it like that. I certainly wouldn't call MC buggy software because you couldn't figure out how to draw a line tangent. Maybe for other reasons cool.gif but not because of tangent lines.

del, I have not seen that.

Thad

quote:

I certainly wouldn't call MC buggy software because you couldn't figure out how to draw a line tangent. Maybe for other reasons [Cool] but not because of tangent lines.

Thad I agree, but there are soooooo many things you have to have work arounds to do. Just venting several of my frustrations in 1 post.

HEy toolman how's it goin'?

I think you just need to get used to the create line tangent. My method is I lock in the angle and type in a line length, then I bring my curser close to the entity and when it highlights without the autocurser kicking in (or hit Ctrl as Millman stated)I click with the mouse and choose the line I want.

Try it several more times at various angles.

Yeah that's it, try it Yeah, yeah, that's the ticket.

Are you using X2 for wire all the time, or sometimes Esprit?

If you click the arc without it snapping to something, doesn't that automatically create a line tangent? I can't say for sure, but I know I never hit the tangent button (is it on by default?), I never use the T power key, I never use Ctrl-click, and I've never had a problem creating a line tangent. I click Create Line Endpoints, click the arc, draw the line the approximate angle and length and click, then enter an angle value and length (rarely use the length), then OK. It works EVERY time.

Thad

• 4 weeks later...

I searched for this post and am still very confused.

I now need to create a line tangent to an arc and through a known point.

The angle is unknown.

I used to be able to do this in V9, but can't figure it out.

Surely we don't have to do what Roger is suggesting???

Please help.