Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

COOLANT ADVICE

Mr. Wizzard

What's everyones opinion on coolant? I have spindles between 8k & 12k and run 95% 6061 Aluminum. Normal stuff: Destiny endmills, high speed carbide/TiN coated drills and quite a few form taps. My personal fav. has been Hangsterfer, so far. Unfortunately, we were recently switched to a "cheaper" generic coolant and then to Wallover, which Haas uses. I don't like the way it discolors the machines and leaves thing gummy. Hangsterfer cut nice and left everything clean.

Your opinions on brand, skimmers, concentration, and maintenance are welcome.

Thanks all! headscratch.gif

We used a "cheap" coolant around here for a long time and decided to try Blaser to try and improve things... No help at all still got the stink and greasy parts.

Next time they order coolant around here I recommended Trim. The shop I work at on weekends uses trim and I like it. No fungus and it blows off clean.

JM2C

We also cut 95% 6061 Alu and we used Hangsterfer but I do not know if they changed something , because suddenly we started having a lot of foaming problems on our through spindle coolant machines. We changed to Blaser Swisslube a couple of years ago and have been very happy.

We also invested in one of there mixers that fits right on a 55 gallon drum, that thing is right up with Christmas bonuses, no more mixing 5 gallon buckets by hand, and dropping half of it carrying it to the machine.

At my last job we cut 100% aluminum. You need a good coolant to be able to cut at high rates. We were cutting around 400imp with a 3/8 end mill. If it wasn't for a good coolant we would have never be able to hit those numbers.

+1000 on the Oemeta! We tried every brand out there, Trim(3 diff. ones), Valenite, Rust-lick, Amada, Cimcool, Hangsterfers- ALL of them separated, foamed, went rancid, you name it. Oemeta is the first one to perform as advertised- we use it on all metals, and pastics as well. We would go through a 55 gal drum of any other coolant in 2-3months, and pay mass quantities of recycle fees to get rid of it when it went bad. Since switching to Oemeta, it looks like a drum will last at least a year! the coolant in the machines actually increases in concentration and we use a 1-2% make-up, because the water evaporates and the coolant does NOT come out of emulsion. Nothing seems to grow in it, even in previously heavily infected machines. Filters last longer, no stains, doesn't eat paint, no skin probs, no rust....

So, after 20 years of experimentation, this stuff is the only one that worked for us. The info I have on it says it is an ester-based synthetic, which may be why nothing grows in it.

My $.02, its the best..

Hangsterfers Neo Sol 300

I cut predominately Stainless and anything else that's nasty.

Never goes rancid, cuts well. I use it in machines with a 6k, 10k and 12k spindle. I had used S500cf and it foamed like the dickens. Tried all them anti foaming additives. Didn't work worth poop.

Went to Neo Sol 300 and most of my issues have gone away. All of my machines except my lissle Haas mini have HP pumps too.

By the way, I have worked in shops that used Blaser Swisslube. Stuff eats the skin right off my hands.

Cuts great, but I can't be around it.

Every coolant brand has many, many different formulas. When comparing brands, make sure both comparisons are using the recommend formula of each manufacture.

85% aluminum. some ss. some plastic. Blaser swisslube here. model "2000". there also is an anti-foaming version too if you have soft water. I think Boeing uses alot of it, but don't quote me on that. we also tried 4000, and 4000 strong, costs more and not really necessary for aluminum.

no stink, a little greasyness, lasts forever, make up solutions of 1-2%. leaves great finishes on gummy aluminum. it's vegetable based oil, so easy on hands and machines.

also good for frying eggs. biggrin.gif

Was using Hangsterfers for years. Now we use Q-Cut 250c. Everything is better with this coolant so far. Machines just spray clean. No scrubbing as everything just washes down. Parts blow off clean and finishes are better. Nobody here has had any reaction to it either. No skin irritations. And we were having probs with that before. Been just adding to mix for 6 months and no bacteria here.