Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Clearance height.

Let me tell you about how happy I am that the three inch clearance height on a contour only works at the beginning and end of a toolpath even when you have the "use clearance only at start and end" box unchecked.....So when it gets done roughing and moves to the beginning of the cut again to finish...it only lifts up to .25 instead of 3 inches like I told it to.

Just cost me about $200 in cutters. Wacked the crap out of my clamps.... banghead.gifbanghead.gif

This is with MPMaster post.....

quote:

Thats why I uncheck retract and use only clearance set to absolute

Same here. Adds a little more cycle time moving to clearance when you don't always have to, but its better than not moving to clearance height when you need to.

quote:

Let me tell you about how happy I am that the three inch clearance height on a contour only works at the beginning and end of a toolpath even when you have the "use clearance only at start and end" box unchecked.....So when it gets done roughing and moves to the beginning of the cut again to finish...it only lifts up to .25 instead of 3 inches like I told it to.

Just cost me about $200 in cutters. Wacked the crap out of my clamps....

Jim,

I use clearance and retract ALL the time and have never had any problems as long as I have them set correctly. From the sound of your post, I think you wanted to use a retract value not a clearance. Clearance is used at the beginning and end of EACH wireframe geometry you select. Retract is the value that mc uses while doing the various passes on an individual curve.

The other thing, do you use quick verify? That has saved my butt a lot when I had my retract set improperly.

Sorry about the crash.

I have used the clearance tab like this for at LEAST ten years. Worked just fine. At least I've never had an issue with it. It would behave as I've discribed if I had the Use at begining and end of op box checked. But when it's not checked it would simply apply that clearance value to every move, rough, finish...

Not this time.

Wasn't my Haas.

But, I was talking to Don last night and he suggested that it may be caused by the contour being an open contour as at the end it would be a retract move and not a clearance move. Now, that didn't make a whole lot of sense to me as there is a check bos to restrain the clearance move to the beginning and end of the op, which was not checked. Now...in my mind, this would omply that if not checked...it would put a clearance move into every Z move in the op.

But it did not.

As I said, it has worked as I expected it to for many years. Just not yesterday. I'm a bit confused as to why. I like it when things are predictable...

are you using the same tool for two consecutive ops? Also in your machine def. -control def. area

under the linear topic make sure you have al the retract areas set to the middle option. Or what will happen is the three axis move all at once. It may be ok for years until you get to a tight lead out or a small pocket area.

I typically set them to retract in Z first then XY on retracts. XY then Z for approaches.