Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Changing WCS makes toolpaths dirty

CAM CRAZY

It could be that you set your mastercam to make your current view your tool plane and when you rotate or change views it thinks your telling it to change your ops to that tool plane. what setting do you have in your config for your WCS or click on the plane button on the bottom of your mastercam window and see what its set to.

This has happened to me a time or two when creating or changing a WCS completely unrelated to the toolpaths in a previous toolpath group.

I could never figure out why and it was not repeatable. Happened on one or two files I have used in the past couple years.

It used to happen all the time in one of the Version 9 releases though for no apparent reason.

Not that it helps any...

headscratch.gif

I have not experienced this as I do not have X3 yet. It sounds like the old "ops go dirty" problem of an earlier X/X2 version.

As a test, I would try using using surface drive geometry instead of solids for a while. Mastercam does not seem to like larger files with many WCS's/TP's while using solid drive geometry.

I am on X2MR2 SP1 and do not use solids for drive geometry anymore. It has really made things much more stable.

Mike

Michael, thanks for the link. I did make sure this is activated. I do normally use solids for my toolpaths. Maybe that is the issue.I will convert to surfaces and see if the problem persists

posted 06-21-2006 04:34 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To All,

Have you checked the System Configuration to make sure the switch "Restore entire toolpath data in File Open" is active on the Files topic page? That was what happened to me when I first updated to MR1. I couldn't understand why a file I had just saved moments before would open with every op needing regeneration. Until I checked that switch and then it made sense to me. HTH

--------------------

Pete

"Stranger In A Strange Land"

"I'm a Mog, half man, half dog. I'm my own best friend"

I never drive solids if I can help it...

Surfaces give you more control. You can edit them and separate onto a new level. So much more control... Same for chaining. I always use wireframe, but most of the time I use the solid to generate it.

The new trick I recently learned when using create - curve - all edges is to use the 'Open edges' button to get just the outside curves only works on a set of surfaces. It fails when trying to use it with solid faces...

I have found that the larger my file gets or more complex it is and I'm using various wcs's, that the wcs manager will make random ops dirty.

One thing that I have found (besides saving a lot) is that if my wcs isn't changing but only my tool workplane, if I only use the gview button to select my new tool plane instead of the wcs manager then my ops do NOT go dirty.