Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

What version of Windows Vista do you use?

Mike Mattera - TFM

quote:

Will I see a performance boost in Mastercam by going to 64 bit?

No, you will not notice any major gains. If you multi-task on the system however having a 64bit system with plenty of RAM will keep things running smoothly.

I do not expect to see a 32 bit flavor of the next release of windows as all hardware has gone 64 bit, that is the way software is starting to move.

Check my sig for the OS.

quote:

My Vericut rep told me to stay far far away from Vista..

Check your REP cuz I don't know that he really knows what he's talking about. It has been released and is running on Vista

Jay, Are you running Vista 64bit?

There's a Home Ultimate?

I think this is another reason why people are staying away from Vista. People cant figure out all of the different flavors. No one knows what to buy.

Did you know there was a Vista Home Server? I need to upgrade my server and that flavor came up in one of my searches.

Thanks for the input,

Mike Mattera

From what I understand, you have to run Ultimate or Business to connect to a Domain. We still run a workgroup in the office for now so it doesn't matter at work. That is going to change soon so our OS needs are going to change with that. I just installed multiple seats on a NetHASP at a school running Business w/o any hassels.

Mike the Vista I have is 32 bit Home premium SP1 that now sees when you have 4gigs of Ram.

The collage I teach at is going to vista and they were asking me if we should go 64 bit or 32 bit. they were thinking 64 bit because they are putting 4 gigs a ram were the first release of 32 bit did not see a full 4. After Sp1 release it now sees the full 4.

quote:

Check your REP cuz I don't know that he really knows what he's talking about. It has been released and is running on Vista

Released and running does not mean running well John... rolleyes.gif Please keep in mind that this is your end... wink.gif

For the time being, for most of CAD/CAM softwares the Vista stamp has more to do with marketing than anything else... I their shoes I´d never state that my software is not compliant with the latest Microsoft OS...

JM2C

quote:

Yes.. Vericut seems to run OK on Vista... but the licensing is still sketchy... and it doesn't matter how good Vericut runs on Vista if it can't read the license.. no license... no workie..

thus my reps suggestion that I stay far far away

quote:

Mike the Vista I have is 32 bit Home premium SP1 that now sees when you have 4gigs of Ram.

Vista has always seen all 4 Gigs. It has to allocate the same RAM amount with the memory of the video card. If your video card has 512 RAM and your system has 4GB RAM then you should have 3.5GB available for system use. This is why the Quadro FX5800 card that has 4GB video RAM is 64 bit only. It would devour all RAM in a 32 bit system.

quote:

Vista wont span 2 displays?

That doesn't sound right. Are you sure? Can anyone else confirm that? I have to have 2 displays. That would be a deal killer.

It will "Dual View" but not "Span". The difference is that with "Span" you've got the taskbar across both screens, and the wallpaper will stretch across both as well. Maximizing means filling both screens. With "Dual View" the taskbar stays on screen 1, the wallpaper is duplicated on each screen, and maximizing means filling one screen. You can still put stuff across both screens by dragging when it's not maximized.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...if it can't read the license.. no license... no workie..

thus my reps suggestion that I stay far far away..

:popcorn:

biggrin.gif

[stir]

John's out there pimpin Vista like he's got stock in M$ or somefin... biggrin.giftongue.gif

[/stir]

quote:

Vista wont span 2 displays?

That doesn't sound right. Are you sure? Can anyone else confirm that? I have to have 2 displays. That would be a deal killer.

There is a utility that fixes this. Copied from Ultramon home page:

UltraMon is a utility for multi-monitor systems, designed to increase productivity and unlock the full potential of multiple monitors.

*efficiently move windows and maximize windows across the desktop

*manage more applications with the Smart Taskbar

*control application positioning with UltraMon Shortcuts

*multi-monitor support for desktop wallpapers and screen savers

*mirror your main monitor to secondary monitors for a presentation

Get it here.

http://realtimesoft.com/ultramon/