Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

'Wants' for Version 10

kathy

1.) When analyzing the distance between two points in the X on a lathe using diameter programming, I don't thing the relative distance should also be given as a diameter.

2.) The ability to use file names that are legitimate to the operating system. For example, I like to name files like 10052489-1 OP.030 REV.C

Mastercam will let you name your mc9 file this way but when you start creating ops the nci name will end at the first "." I guess the programmers were still thinking in DOS so when they convienently created the nci name from the mc9 name they assumed anything after the first "." was an extension. They should parse the mc9 name from the end to the first "." rather than the beginning.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

If I was a source code programmer for Cnc Software I would have pulled out my hair months ago.

This thread is free market research for CNC Software and also a repository of information that a competitor could use to get someone to switch over to another program. Imagine Gibbs reading some of these posts and then coming in to demonstrate just that very feature you wished Mastercam had.

With that in mind, it is also a thread where we can be told that our wishes already exist.

I also agree that Kathy should get free software just for being so nice, anyone else?

I would like to see(if this hasn't been said already) a "Gage from" box in the tool descriptions, as in gaged from a certain diameter so i can have correct verification on chamfers, drilled holes etc.

also could i get a library of port tools? without using custom tools...

pete

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Does Gibbs have a user forum like this?

Yeah....... cough, cough, cough, (let me put my bong down) wink.gif In their wettest dreams. They have NADA! NADA educational support, eek.gif NADA user customizable posts, eek.gifeek.gif NADA, NADA, NADA.

quote:

Does Gibbs have a user forum like this?

Does it matter to those who don't need to have the back patting...

I create code - stable code that will make good parts - reliably. If there are any problems with MC and the way it produces that code - and there are... and post them to this "Wish List" for an upcoming release of VapourWare - and there isn't an answer other than "Your geometry is wrong and Mastercam would like it better if..." then I would most certainly open the cheque book and give the order to whom ever could make the rash go away...

This is the reality of a cometitive market place, not withstanding a quasi useful user group who will on occasion come up with a valid response or for the most part - only empathize and feel the pain.

Back to wants;

When doing a contour, with Compensation set to OFF, how about the ability to keep the tool down on multiple depth cuts, like it does with facing; mill one direction, step down, mill in other direction, step down, mill ... ... ...

Just a thought..

'Rekd teh It has recently been discovered that research causes cancer in rats.

One of the dream features that I want is:

THE PARAMETRIC MACHINING:

Here come the explanation -

Let`s say you have a model that you must make from it a set of EDM electrodes :-0.07,-0.2 and -0.3 mm each .

You must write 20-30 toolpathes that in many fields you will have the same parameter like -0.07.

In contour and pocket toolpath xy stock to leave and z stock to leave ,in surface toolpathes surface offset and so on.

On every finish toolpath you will have the same -0.07 but on different places.

NOW comes a proposition:

What a wonderful thing will be a possibility to define this -0.07 like a variable (parameter)with a use of some special sign like ~A,`a,#a,#3,$a,&a or some else .

All you need is to define it beforehand with a use of some sort of toolpath with a name like parameter definition !

Thus you write one program ,calculate your toolpath and afterwards when you need another electrode you simply change parameter definitions and make regeneration !!!! cheers.gif

Iskander teh am I imprudent ?

quote:

Is there a reason you can't just use 'edit common operation' change the xy and z stock to leave and regenerate?

Yes ,there is !

I do a lot of complex electrodes with a lot of different sorts of toolpathes so this ammount -0.07 is not a common parameter for all of them.

As an example one of my recent works was an electrode with end mills and ball mills from 16 to 0.6mm,approx 30 toolpathes (pockets,contoures,

contoures and pockets with a tap angle,drillings,surface rough parallel,surf.fin.parallel,surf rough pocket,surf fin contour,shallow ,surface contour trimmed by contour )!

And to select toolpathes of specific sort and only finish pathes and ...(like this surface finish contour toolpath has checked surfaces -0.07 and this one 0 )is time-consuming and a good way to mistake.

And BTW this feature not always works correctly.

So what I trying to interest everybody is a good , safe way to produce electrodes and some other stuff.

Thus if you run good program for electrode -0.07 when you `ll change parameter the -0.2 electrode will be good also!

and a lot of other things that you can get from this .The flexible way of setting values like in drill depth =10-&A,

or top of stock 0.02+&A.

Nothing stops you to write universal library of operations with

all parameters set to needed values and one or two variables that you can set at the beginning of the program .

Bryan !

I appreciate your readiness to listen to my ideas that someone may be thinking of no worth or sence!

You helped me a lot in the past with your c-hooks.

they are making my work easy and they rocks !

cheers.gifcheers.gif

Iskander teh crasy intruder to the peaceful life of the good folk the Mastercamers !

quote:

And BTW this feature not always works correctly.

Tell me about it. We had a few crashes we couldn't figure out quite a while back. confused.gif Eventually they were traced to 'edit common parameter' being used on lead in and lead out. It wasn't updating the lead in and lead out parameters correctly.

Thanks for the kind words. biggrin.gif I really apreciate it. It's always good to know that other people get some use out of them also.

Bryan smile.gif

I would like to see a few more retailers per state. Give the current retailer a bit more competition.

I'm tired of calling with valid questions, and they can't even give me a valid answer. All their worthless promises on posts were nothing more than sales talk. Maybe if they had a bit more competition, we would get a little better service.

quote:

I'm tired of calling with valid questions, and they can't even give me a valid answer. All their worthless promises on posts were nothing more than sales talk. Maybe if they had a bit more competition, we would get a little better service.

Welcome to the forum. I've seen nothing but top-notch service from the MC reps.

:edit:

If you're unhappy with your rep, you need to talk to CNC Software, not post your flames here.

:/edit:

Please remove the red pull-over "I'm an arsehole" shirt and ask a valid question.

With a first post attitude like that, we can tell you're frustrated, but it's no wonder your dealer doesn't want to help you.

'Rekd teh Hate begets Hate, Stupidity begets solving your problems by yourself

[ 06-24-2003, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Rekd ]