Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

'Wants' for Version 10

kathy

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Bryan,

That's one heck of a shopping list remind me not to ask what you would like for Christmas

That would be my Chook Developement Kit 'wants' list. biggrin.gif It's probably as long as Rekd's VBS want list. biggrin.gif

quote:

Personally, I only use about five or six different levels but then again I am not doing a tremendous amount of complex surfacing at the moment - even still I don't think I have ever used more than twenty. Basically, I thought that 256 was an overkill situation.

We use a one detail to one level system. So for toolpathing the current level number is usually enough. The designers, on the other hand, get a little cramped on the bigger designs.

quote:

The 6 pictures were probably overkill, but very nice work

Doh! Sorry! eek.gif That's why I posted them as links and not as pictures. I figured people would get pissed with several screen caps showing up on the page. I promise to go whip myself later. wink.gif I was/am a little over enthusiastic. I like to see all my operation parameters at one glance. It'd be really cool to be able edit them also.

Bryan

quote:

Ability to use depth cuts for contour toolpaths with ramping turned on.

+1 on that!

It would sure be nice to ramp down .100 at a 3 degree angle and then drive around the part at that depth, overlap, then ramp down another .100, continue...

'Ramp by Depth' is OK, but not really what I'm looking for

C

Very impressive list Bryan!

Yes, Yes Yes - an Excel like spreadsheet/matrix interactive Operations Manager!!! For example, to compare all my depths in a column. Joy!

Your pictures are awesome.

Along with better layer control, how about groups that really work, with maybe even sub-groups??

This thread is right back on track after all the dissing!! CNC - are you paying attention?

Kathy

Jack - I don't know if having a heavy right foot is all that impressive anymore ( biggrin.gif ) - it's hard to get a Cavalier to go over 85/90. I need to get some pictures posted...

In Surface ToolPaths..one can return to drive surface selection menu and add-show-remove..etc. the desired surfaces. This function not available on some multi-axis (5x) toolpaths. Would like to see surfaces highlighted when returning to geometry selection screen on these toolpaths.

quote:

I know this has been mentioned before but an Excel or matrix like interface to the operation manager. While I don’t think it should look like these:

Looks pretty, but huge. From what I've heard through the grapevine, the operations manager for Version 10 will ALWAYS be displayed on your screen. Having something that big takes up a lot of screen real estate. Maybe a choice of display modes? Choice #1: a tree control, Choice #2: a spread sheet ?

quote:

Ability to link geometry across multiple operations. The best example of this I can think of is say you have 3 ops: spot drill, drill, and tap. These could be linked and when you add a point to one, it’s added to the other two. This would become really handy when these already linked operations are stored in operation libraries. Pull in the ops, assign points (or whatever) to one op, and regenerate all three.

You can already do this with drilling toolpaths. That's what the "Subprogram" option is for, to have one drill operation reference another. Add/remove/move one point in one drill operation and all the others will update on a regeneration. Would be nice to have on all toolpath types though...

quote:

Fix what ever causes those annoying ‘memory table’ errors.

These are caused by drafting dimensions and notes. I get them all the time. Drafting sucks and needs a rewrite. Delete all your drafting stuff, save the file, retrieve the file and it all goes away. Not much of a solution though.

quote:

Ability to sort and unsort operations. Say operations were in a 1, 2, 3, 4 order. Sort by tool and they are now 4, 2, 1, 3. Do whatever to the ops. Unsort. Sets back to 1,2,3,4 order.

We already have a "Sort by creation order" in ascending or decending order. This will resort your operations in the order they were created. first to last or last to first.

quote:

Be able to turn off various redundant dialog boxes that pop up and do nothing. Also set default values on other dialog boxes. An example of this would be the t/c plane check box in the operation import dialog box. I want it always set to on.

Mine is always on. confused.gif The only thing that may turn on or off is the WCS, and that depends on what WCS you have set in your system before you create an operation.

quote:

We already have a "Sort by creation order" in ascending or decending order. This will resort your operations in the order they were created. first to last or last to first.

That is not enough .

Make a lot of ops ,put in different groups ,

move them from place to place , copy here and there and now do sort by tool number.

In most cases you`ll be @#$ed , my friend !

Iskander teh - Where is my big hog mill ?

quote:

Make a lot of ops ,put in different groups ,

move them from place to place , copy here and there and now do sort by tool number.

In most cases you`ll be @#$ed , my friend !

You spelled @#$ed wrong, it's @#$%ed.

I've had this happen also.

'Rekd teh kiss on the cheek?

quote:

Maybe a choice of display modes? Choice #1: a tree control, Choice #2: a spread sheet ?

Sounds good to me.

quote:

You can already do this with drilling toolpaths. That's what the "Subprogram" option is for, to have one drill operation reference another. Add/remove/move one point in one drill operation and all the others will update on a regeneration. Would be nice to have on all toolpath types though...

Cool. biggrin.gif I learned my new thing for the day. Thank You. cheers.gif The subprogramming doesn't seem to survive importation from an operation library though. frown.gif

quote:

These are caused by drafting dimensions and notes. I get them all the time. Drafting sucks and needs a rewrite.

Yeah, I know they're cause by drafting entites. I wish they'd sit down and go through source code and fix it. Or figure out a better way for the program to handle them.

quote:

What plasttav and Rekd said. biggrin.gif Operation aren't always created in order and there is no (easy) way to reset it. By easy, I mean, you can copy all the ops and delete the originals. The op order and creations order are now the same. Big hassle. frown.gif

Bryan smile.gif

[ 06-12-2003, 12:07 PM: Message edited by: bryan314 ]

I would like to see Mastercam use "trailing files". Everything you do, and every move you make is saved. If you ever need to backup and re-do, or change something you have already done, all you have to do is bring up a log, and highlight your move and make your changes. cool.gif

If Mastercam used a (could be alternate) command line system, the trail list would be an ascii file and therfore small. Think ProE, Mentor Graphics and to a much lesser extent Autocad.

Kathy

do I smell multiple un-do's ??

MC version X will have multiple undos, our Mastercam dealer has assured us. Also, a toggle between MC's new Windows graphical interface and the classic interface. But, you folks already probably know this. Time to go home. Our new mold is looking good. James, your flowline suggestion along our mold's edges worked beautifully!! smile.gif

Reading some old threads this morning and saw this one

Paul McGarr :

quote:

I'd realy like the faces of the solids to turn solid white as do surfaces when they are selected.

+1 on that. Just thought I'd slip it in this thread.

Also, automatic chaning on solid edges is desperately needed. Sometimes there are alot of edges that need to be picked and it gets to be a real pain in the @$$ mad.gif

.....or am I the only one that has spent 20 minutes picking all the correct edges on a solid trying to put a fillet on only to get a BLCCRL - range to large or blend completely overlaps adjoining edge error that makes you feel like putting your fist through the monitor mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

Hey at least after that you can pick Last and they're automaticly selected I guess...... rolleyes.gif

[ 06-13-2003, 09:04 AM: Message edited by: Zero ]

How about a button below the level button to bring up a prompt to type in a WCS number to quickly switch to that WCS?

And while we're at it, how about an option to link levels to the WCS and visa versa? So when you change to level 3, it can automatically select the WCS you've related to that level..

'Rekd teh "Wants for Version 10"; like a turd that wont flush!

If I was a source code programmer for Cnc Software I would have pulled out my hair months ago.

We as a user base have put them to the task and then some, with this very thread.

Best bet - Give Kathy a free upgrade to version ten and delete this thread before any other suggestions beat us to a pulp.

cheers.gif

Regards, Jack

quote:

We as a user base have put them to the task and then some, with this very thread.

smile.gif We just want to help them create the best product possble. smile.gif

quote:

If I was a source code programmer for Cnc Software I would have pulled out my hair months ago.

Speaking of which, do we know if anyone from MC is reading the thread or taking any of the suggestions seriously?

Bryan smile.gif

I want that when MC does a long calculation to play tetris on the screen or see the pictures of nude beauties !

Seriously I think there are a lot of things that can be done for speeding calculation of the toolpathes .

My 2 magic dreams are :

1: To mill surfaces with the negative offset and the end mill .

2. this one

Iskander teh am I dreaming ?